Singapore Expats

1gb fibre required

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Pinshot

1gb fibre required

Post by Pinshot » Tue, 09 Feb 2016 8:40 pm

Im due to move to Singapore and will be giving up my 1gb fibre connection here in London. I wish to have the same level of connectivity in Singapore and i understand this is common.

I would like to know what to look for and ask when browsing for apartments. Its easy in the UK as we have lots of information provided.

Are there also issues with landlords if i wanted this service added to my apartment? If the apartment is pre wired is this easier? How old are fibre ready apartments compared to none fibre and is a premium charged for this?

Any help welcome.

Thanks

x9200

Re: 1gb fibre required

Post by x9200 » Tue, 09 Feb 2016 10:47 pm

Pinshot wrote:Im due to move to Singapore and will be giving up my 1gb fibre connection here in London. I wish to have the same level of connectivity in Singapore and i understand this is common.

yes, pretty common

I would like to know what to look for and ask when browsing for apartments. Its easy in the UK as we have lots of information provided.

Well, when visiting the flat you just look if the fibre terminal is installed. You can do a check on some web pages if the fibre is in the building, but I am not sure if you can do the same for the individual flats.

Are there also issues with landlords if i wanted this service added to my apartment? If the apartment is pre wired is this easier? How old are fibre ready apartments compared to none fibre and is a premium charged for this?

The general, country-wide fibrezation happened ca 3-4y ago so building of that that age or younger should already have it. If an apartment doesn't have the connection it will costs ca S$200 to have it hooked up unless the whole building is not connected, what I think is an extremely rare case. The only issue with the landlords I can think about is that the terminal and fibres are installed with just surface trunking. This does not look too good but I believe most of the local homeowners don't care.

Any help welcome.

Thanks

Pinshot

Post by Pinshot » Tue, 09 Feb 2016 11:17 pm

Great thanks for your help

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 09 Feb 2016 11:40 pm

Good luck getting one gig in and out of Singapore.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 10 Feb 2016 11:16 am

Any smart apartment owner would have had it installed - I think it was free for me to have the box installed - turning it on of course involved money.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 10 Feb 2016 11:53 am

It was for free indeed, but I think many LLs just don't give a damn about it - it is hard to imagine somebody would make rental decision based on a S$200 fixture present or not. One can always ask the LL to have it installed as a part of the TA deal. If the LL refuses, well, that would be a clear warning sign.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 10 Feb 2016 9:01 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Good luck getting one gig in and out of Singapore.
It's easy, I do it all the time. The catch is just not in a single connection, but multiple. This is where BitTorrent really shines. :) Even besides then, many large sites have a CDN presence inside or outside of Singapore matters less and less.

OP, I use MyRepublic and have had no issues with them at all. Whoever you pick, don't pick one of the big 3 Telcos for your home ISP. They throttle during peak hours and transparently proxy all outbound HTTP/HTTPS requests so all of their customers come from a small subnet of IPs.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 10 Feb 2016 10:23 pm

Agree with MyRepublic. Plus they have some offshore DNS addresses and you can buy a static IP if needed.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 11 Feb 2016 2:36 pm

PNGMK wrote:Agree with MyRepublic. Plus they have some offshore DNS addresses and you can buy a static IP if needed.
Sadly those aren't working too well anymore for online video. Netflix has announced big crackdowns, but I've found a lot of online services I used to use functioning pretty erratically, at least the ones based in the US. The BBC still seems ok.

lucassmith
Regular
Regular

Post by lucassmith » Mon, 15 Feb 2016 3:08 pm

PNGMK wrote:Agree with MyRepublic. Plus they have some offshore DNS addresses and you can buy a static IP if needed.
am considering MyRepublic for my next renewal too.
any issues that I may have to keep in mind tho?

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 15 Feb 2016 4:39 pm

Switch on is a 2 step process which they weren't clear about. I was waiting for them to turn up and they were still arranging with a 3rd party. All sorted in the end though.

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Mon, 15 Feb 2016 8:39 pm

I'm with Viewqwest on a 2Gbps plan. Dual-wan router give me 1G and everyone else the other one :D
Nice too if you want 1ms pings to the local game servers ;)

Viewqwest also does a no-commitment plan which is more expensive but, well, no contract.

They also offer a DNS service similar to MyRepublic, but it works. Apart from a couple of days downtime when Netflix flicked the switch on VPNs etc, Viewqwest had it back up and running quickly, so still enjoying my UK and US Netflix libraries :D

Markoni

Post by Markoni » Mon, 15 May 2017 5:23 am

Hi guys sorry to bring up old post, but can I get update on current situation on this subject? I am moving here in July and would like to use Netflix/Hulu from SG? Probably I need some VPN to access USA libraries? And one more question, how do you pay that services, because I will not have any US/EU credit cards, just local cards with probably Paypal account connected to them?

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 22 May 2017 11:15 am

Markoni wrote:Hi guys sorry to bring up old post, but can I get update on current situation on this subject? I am moving here in July and would like to use Netflix/Hulu from SG? Probably I need some VPN to access USA libraries? And one more question, how do you pay that services, because I will not have any US/EU credit cards, just local cards with probably Paypal account connected to them?
netflix (the US catalog) may not always work outside of the US. they crack down on VPNs/smart DNS providers quite aggressively.

but netflix is available as an official service in singapore so it'll screen whatever they have programmed for the SG market.

hulu works with most region unblocking tools (i've tried a few and they all work). i'm currently using getflix (which works well for many other sites).

i pay hulu using a US credit card... i've tried paying with an SG card but it wasn't accepted.

can't you maintain a US debit card for this? load $300 in before you leave and you're good for at least a year ($8-$12/month).
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

fwkenjimpp

Post by fwkenjimpp » Tue, 20 Jun 2017 9:11 am

Markoni wrote:Hi guys sorry to bring up old post, but can I get update on current situation on this subject? I am moving here in July and would like to use Netflix/Hulu from SG? Probably I need some VPN to access USA libraries? And one more question, how do you pay that services, because I will not have any US/EU credit cards, just local cards with probably Paypal account connected to them?
Hi Markoni,
MyRepublic does provide VPN Services. It is less than USD $20. Payment can be done through Debit Cards which can be easily obtained through the banks.

Happy to offer more help if you need.