Singapore Expats

School Teacher Screening Animal Cruelty Video In Class

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

School Teacher Screening Animal Cruelty Video In Class

Post by earthfriendly » Thu, 21 Jan 2016 2:07 am

Do you think it is inappropriate? I am aware of some of the cruel practices in large scale industrial farming. I do not bubble wrap my kids. However, I find myself unable to talk to them about it. Not sure why though. Warning, the video is graphic.

http://www.mfablog.org/school-disciplin ... showed-mfa

x9200

Re: School Teacher Screening Animal Cruelty Video In Class

Post by x9200 » Thu, 21 Jan 2016 5:09 am

I think it is highly inappropriate for any children younger than perhaps 16-17yo. How have your children reacted to it?

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Thu, 21 Jan 2016 5:55 am

Like I said, I had never broach this subject with them, ever. They are happy with life, as it is. LOL. You know, the comfortable bubble :wink: .

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 21 Jan 2016 6:18 am

You said you didn't discuss the subject, I asked how your kids reacted to the video. Two different things. (e.g. it was terrible, I left the class in the middle of it, vs. 'twas ok, just had more time to finish my sandwich).

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Thu, 21 Jan 2016 6:22 am

I did not show the video to them. I think many adults would have problem watching it too.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 21 Jan 2016 6:45 am

Oh, my bad, I just opened the link and scrolled dow to the video without reading anything.

Besides some other short term problems like distress while watching it, it may also contribute to the lack of sensitivity (empathy) or aggressive behaviour.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 21 Jan 2016 7:52 am

Well, as a country lad by upbringing I still stand back and have to smile at people who demand meat (etc), 'just not via killing things'. Or perhaps demanding that things are killed nicely, or politely. Yeah lol. Organic, so we've been kinder while it lived and I can feel less guilty about myself when it dies for me, so I'll pay double for the assuaging of my guilt... Sure, ok, I can sell you some primo middle-class anti-guilt tablets too.... heheee ;)
[Note, this does NOT mean I'm anti welfare, respect, and so on - no no]

There is reality, and there is cruel. Getting meat from the field to the table involves blood guts distress and so on - it will never be nice at that end. If you can't accept that become vegetarian. I don't think you can wrap yourself up in lies where you eat meat and yet ever pretend it can be 'kind' - witness it, it can't, it's brutal. But as they say, 'Nature, red in tooth and claw'.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Thu, 21 Jan 2016 8:32 am

Yes, it is inherently cruel, just like in nature. But these acts by the industrial farms are at a different level. Confining pigs in such compact cages where they can't even turn around. All their lives. There is nothing natural about that.

I am not here to tell people what they should eat or how to live their lives. It is not possible to make everybody vegetarians. Eat all the meat you want. But be aware of how that animal / meat has been processed before it ends up on your plate. Having said that, there are farmers who use more humane and natural ways of raising their livestocks. And Costco, one of the largest meat retailer, has set a deadline, year 2020, for its suppliers to reconfigure and get rid of these personalized pig cages.

Thank god for that :) .

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 21 Jan 2016 8:55 am

Yeah, commercial/industrial pig farm, battery chickens, etc. is hard core and people do get upset as well as vegans (you notice the distinction I made there? :D ) However, do vegans get upset at hydrophonic vegetables? Hothouse vegetables, vertical farms where the water is supersaturated with nutrients to make the plants mature faster just to be ripped out of the water? Do you talk to your plants? Hug trees? If so, then this type of forced feeding is akin to making Goose Liver Pâté or Foie gras, whichever name you prefer. Cruelty to plants as well. After all, they are also living things.

However, don't get me wrong, that video shows animal abuse. There are better, more effective and instantenous methods to kill animals in a commercial set up. Hunting wild game is actually worse than the commercial films as often you only wound an animal and then have to track the wounded beast for minutes, hours, days to finally locate and put it down. Not everybody is a crack shot so this happens a lot. However, it's not on the wide spread scale that sick individuals in slaughter houses and battery farms are able to visit upon the animals purely in sadistic delight/disgust (don't know which).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 21 Jan 2016 9:59 am

^yep, I am a meat lover and I am far from being a hypocrite. It has to involve killing but abuse is a different thing. It is also about what I said earlier, you should control the exposure of children to the violence, regardless animal, human or any other brutal thing. If this video is fine, why not to show a raw war pictures in the schools? It is also a fact.