Singapore Expats

PR Rejection - new year kicks off!

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Re: PR Rejection - new year kicks off!

Post by BBCWatcher » Wed, 13 Jan 2016 3:53 pm

It's reasonable to assume that official government statements accurately represent the government's policy goals. Here's a recent example from Yaacob Ibrahim, Minister-in-charge of Muslim Affairs: "....it is the government policy to ensure that we maintain a racial balance as far as possible." He made that statement in 2013, in the context of the then new population white paper (citizenship, PR, immigration), and attributed that policy to the Prime Minister himself.

sgstrait
Regular
Regular

Post by sgstrait » Wed, 13 Jan 2016 3:55 pm

Ok you guys go for it. Don't say I didn't warn you if someone knocks on your door.

Sent from my bottom using High-Powered-Air[TRADE MARK SIGN]

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Wed, 13 Jan 2016 4:21 pm

I'm not following you, sgstrait.

For the record, I think a "racial balance" policy goal is odious and self-defeating. Many highly successful countries have and continue to have "organically" shifting racial compositions over time, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Examples include Australia, Canada, the United States(*), the United Kingdom, Germany, Sweden, and Switzerland. The policy focus ought to be on a "talent balance." If that happens to be a violinist from Kenya, a construction manager from Brazil, and a wedding dress entrepreneur from Taiwan -- three exceptional and wonderful individuals -- fine.

(*) The United States is a particularly good example because it's very close to becoming a "majority minority" country. That should happen within the next several years.

sgstrait
Regular
Regular

Post by sgstrait » Wed, 13 Jan 2016 4:26 pm

My comment isn't to do with the substance of this thread. It's to do with stating things about this topic at all. You are not a policymaker. You are not the ICA. But you speak as if you are. What right do you have to make statements on policy on their behalf?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 13 Jan 2016 4:46 pm

sgstrait wrote:When you say that something "is" or "has" or "will" happen, then what you are doing is alleging a fact. Look through your posts. facts need to be proven. If you are just opining then you need to couch what you say in those terms. Ordinarily it wouldn't matter but when you are alleging fact about sensitive topics, then you better be right or expect someone to hurl you up in front of a judge, then you can prove your righteousness to him.

Oh Man, I think I am in serious trouble.

Anybody know a good lawyer, or do I need to catch the SIN-KUL shuttle before they start hunting me ?

mksingapore

Post by mksingapore » Wed, 13 Jan 2016 4:52 pm

ecureilx wrote:
mksingapore wrote:Being Indian you fall into 9.1 percent population of Singapore. So PR quota for Indians will be proportionate. There are lots of other factors too.
in case you missed SMS's reply, the 9.1% has exceeded the original planned quota for Indians.

So it is trimming time, and that's nothing to do with Indians as "INDIANS", merely statistics being managed and numbers maintained. It's just business for SG Inc.

So until the other races go up and make Indians have a 'quota' or lot of Indians left, the door for Indian as a race is very, very, very narrow.
Yes, Sorry my mistake its NOT 9.1 %, As per latest Singapore population its 7.4 % Indian. Detailed info can be seen below pdf. 29,869 PR were given 2013 and 29,854 PR were given in 2014 and I feel that PR will given based on case by case but considering Ethnic mix of applications too.

http://population.sg/population-in-brie ... f-2015.pdf

And my opinion is that if you are Malay or Indian or Others stay longer in Singapore, Contribute and Integrate before you apply for PR.

Table 3: Ethnic mix of citizen population, as of June (%)
2005 2010 2014 2015
Chinese 76.5 76.2 76.2 76.2
Malay 15.2 15.1 15.0 15.0
Indian 7.2 7.4 7.4 7.4
Others 1.1 1.4 1.4 1.4
Source: Department of Statistics

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 13 Jan 2016 6:14 pm

Please note that the statistics you are using are for Singapore Citizens not Singapore legal residents. The other 1.8% are PRs. And most of the Indian PRs do NOT want to get Citizenship, but only PR so they can avail themselves of public housing to resale at a profit. The Sub-continentals are also famous the world over for 'collecting' PRs. Believe any set of statistics you feel like if it will make you feel any better, but at the end of the day, if you do get rejected, you will know that there was probably some truth in what we say. The figure was bandied about virtually daily during the 2011 GE of 9.1% by all the opposition and admitted to by the PAP as well. Therefore, one would surely have to give credence to the statements.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Wed, 13 Jan 2016 8:04 pm

sgstrait wrote:You are not a policymaker.
Agreed, but it is actually true (unfortunately) that the policymakers have publicly declared that "racial balance" is the government's official policy.

I prefer to let the government speak for itself rather than try to do it for them. If that's what you're suggesting, it makes sense to me.

tomtomtom

Post by tomtomtom » Sun, 17 Jan 2016 12:14 pm

New Year Kick Off - Got the Rejection Result !!!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: PR Rejection - new year kicks off!

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 17 Jan 2016 1:32 pm

tomtomtom wrote:New Year Kick Off - Got the Rejection Result !!!
Are you Celebrating?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 17 Jan 2016 3:50 pm

That's unfortunate, tom3. But one question was answered for you. You now know how long 'your' piece of string is. Are you a lecturer at NTU or a student?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 17 Jan 2016 6:04 pm

Sgstrait - whatever mate. No one gives a toss about the ISA now the old man is dead. Or do they?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!