Singapore Expats

Probation definition

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: RE: Re: Probation definition

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 02 Jan 2016 4:24 pm

x9200 wrote:Congrats on your new job and good luck!
3 days. Weird, looks like love and hate relationship both the Singapore and you (likely the race vs qualifications). Are you going to apply once again for PR?
Thanks. Yes, I have appointment scheduled for August. So that will be my 3rd attempt for PR and I would have completed 7 yrs in SG.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 12 Jan 2016 7:48 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:What is interesting is that the company is trying to cover their arses in as much as the contract that they gave you is in violation of IRAS rules. They are required by IRAS to give ONE MONTH of Notice as they have to file Tax Clearance for you 30 days before you final day of work. In theory they could be fined $1000 for every instance of that. In practice, however, I find it's rarely done, but the law IS there. It used to be adhered to prior to the 2011 elections but I guess in the interest of reducing FT headcounts, they've relaxed that a bit. In fact, they have added another reason for short notice in the dropdown list. "no Quota" :-)
SMS, the HR mentioned to me that they are going to pay off the taxes, regardless of whether they have withheld enough or not. Then I will have to write them a check in case the amount they owe me minus the total tax amount is a negative figure.

So I think the law regarding 1 month notice and tax withholding doesn't really hold much water because anyways the employer is responsible to pay off the taxes in case the employee does a runner. But then I don't understand why the immigration guys trouble people who have outstanding taxes due, when they are about to leave the country, when the HR has delayed the tax clearance.

In my particular case I have leave encashment and some OT claims pending, so most probably I don't have to pay anything to the company. Even if I do have to pay its a couple of hundred dollars which is not a problem at all for me to pay them.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Probation definition

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 12 Jan 2016 11:05 pm

The fine is not for not paying the taxes, but for not filing the tax clearance timely. Big difference. Whether they withheld enough or not is immaterial if they want to press for it. The company is in the wrong. Full Stop. But as I said, because of the grief from the last GE, they have been accepting short notice or because the employee did a runner, etc. But the provision of the law is still there if inland revenue wants to invoke it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 12 Jan 2016 11:12 pm

Oh OK. Got it. Thanks.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 13 Jan 2016 10:07 am

Wd40 wrote:But then I don't understand why the immigration guys trouble people who have outstanding taxes due, when they are about to leave the country, when the HR has delayed the tax clearance.
By the way, do you know anybody who really was stopped when they were leaving SG with minor tax dues ?

I don't know of anybody who was stopped, but, I know a couple who were caught on their way in / transit, due to old outstanding tax dues.

Of course, since the last GE, things may have been tightened up a notch.

Wd40
Director
Director

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Probation definition

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 13 Jan 2016 3:01 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Wd40 wrote:But then I don't understand why the immigration guys trouble people who have outstanding taxes due, when they are about to leave the country, when the HR has delayed the tax clearance.
By the way, do you know anybody who really was stopped when they were leaving SG with minor tax dues ?

I don't know of anybody who was stopped, but, I know a couple who were caught on their way in / transit, due to old outstanding tax dues.

I think on this forum someone mentioned that their wife was stopped while going out. I think his forum I'd was Nath something.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Probation definition

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 13 Jan 2016 5:02 pm

Wd40 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:

I think on this forum someone mentioned that their wife was stopped while going out. I think his forum I'd was Nath something.

Maybe overlooked it, so there's some cases of being stopped

No thumbsup icon here :-k :-k

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 13 Jan 2016 6:22 pm

Here ya go!

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 13 Jan 2016 7:05 pm

This is the thread I was talking about. Saint has mentioned that someone was stopped for not paying taxes.

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewtopic.php?t=77686