Singapore Expats

Unpaid Malaysian traffic summons: M'sian police will soon be carrying out a large-scale arrest operation.

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
taxico
Director
Director

Unpaid Malaysian traffic summons: M'sian police will soon be carrying out a large-scale arrest operation.

Post by taxico » Thu, 07 Jan 2016 9:13 pm

JOHOR BAHRU: A total of 31,110 motorists that have been issued arrest warrants for committing traffic offences in Johor - including Singaporeans - will have until the end of January to pay their respective outstanding fines, said Chief of Johor traffic police, Superintendent Baharuddin Mat Taib on Wednesday (Jan 6).

The fines amount to RM9.3 million (S$3 million), and the New Straits Times reported that Singaporeans owe RM6.5 million (S$2.12 million) of the amount.

Mr Baharuddin said police will soon be carrying out a large-scale arrest operation.

"I would like to remind the citizens of Johor and Singapore with summonses and arrest warrant to pay their summons before we carry out a large-scale arrest operation," said Mr Baharuddin, adding that police will not compromise should there be any offenders who fail to pay their fines after the deadline.

"Called Op Warta, the operation will be determined soon and may be in conjunction with the Chinese New Year celebrations," he added in a press conference at the state police headquarters on Wednesday.

Throughout 2015, Malaysian police issued 489,947 summonses to traffic offenders across the country, a drop compared to 514,462 summonses the year before.

According to Mr Baharuddin, out of those summonses, only about 72,000 - worth RM21.8 million in total - were paid. The balance amount remains outstanding.

"The outstanding fines also include 19,555 summonses issued to Singaporean vehicles," he said.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sin ... 03218.html
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Unpaid Malaysian traffic summons: M'sian police will soon be carrying out a large-scale arrest operation.

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 09 Jan 2016 6:59 am

They do this every few years. Nothing new.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Re: Unpaid Malaysian traffic summons: M'sian police will soon be carrying out a large-scale arrest operation.

Post by ScoobyDoes » Wed, 13 Jan 2016 3:56 pm

taxico wrote: "The outstanding fines also include 19,555 summonses issued to Singaporean vehicles," he said.

Another reason so many people change cars every 3-5yrs, the summons is issued on the car plate.......and another reason for physically pulling over SG plated vehicles either on the road or, more often, at the crossings.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter

Post by carlsum1986 » Wed, 13 Jan 2016 5:38 pm

It is near Chinese new years so the police need some source to refill the coffers