Singapore Expats

Can an SC apply / sponsor their parents to be an SC?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
brightsunshine

Can an SC apply / sponsor their parents to be an SC?

Post by brightsunshine » Fri, 08 Jan 2016 8:07 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know whether an SC can apply or sponsor their parents to be an SC? Or must it go through PR application first?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a nice weekend :)

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Can an SC apply / sponsor their parents to be an SC?

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 09 Jan 2016 7:02 am

PR is the only gateway to SC that I know of.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 09 Jan 2016 7:47 am

PNGMK wrote:PR is the only gateway to SC that I know of.
What he said. ^^^^^^ At least 2 years as PR before you can even apply for SC.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sat, 09 Jan 2016 9:12 am

Unless one has a lot of juice and a value to SG GIC
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

brightsunshine

Post by brightsunshine » Sat, 09 Jan 2016 11:23 am

Hi all, thank you for the replies. Reason i ask is because my siblings and I have all got our SC approved. So was just wondering whether it would be possible to directly apply SC for our parents as well. Has anyone got any similar experience?

Another side question : may I know what is the average time between completion of all formalities with ICA and receiving the invitation to attend the citizenship ceremony? i heard it can range between a couple of weeks to a few months, and we will only get the new IC after the citizenship ceremony :)

Thanks again for the replies :)

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sat, 09 Jan 2016 11:30 am

brightsunshine wrote:Hi all, thank you for the replies. Reason i ask is because my siblings and I have all got our SC approved. So was just wondering whether it would be possible to directly apply SC for our parents as well. Has anyone got any similar experience?

Yes it is possible if you are already SG citizen but parents must be working and under 65 years of age. All applicants is assess on its individual merits . However having said that plan B would Long Term Social Visit Pass under your sponsorship. You have to proof your income status is one of the criteria. Ruling might have slightly change but the template is there

Another side question : may I know what is the average time between completion of all formalities with ICA and receiving the invitation to attend the citizenship ceremony? i heard it can range between a couple of weeks to a few months, and we will only get the new IC after the citizenship ceremony :)

If you have been approved. What is there to worry? Just wait and it will come

The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

brightsunshine

Post by brightsunshine » Sat, 09 Jan 2016 11:41 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
brightsunshine wrote:Hi all, thank you for the replies. Reason i ask is because my siblings and I have all got our SC approved. So was just wondering whether it would be possible to directly apply SC for our parents as well. Has anyone got any similar experience?

Yes it is possible if you are already SG citizen but parents must be working and under 65 years of age. All applicants is assess on its individual merits . However having said that plan B would Long Term Social Visit Pass under your sponsorship. You have to proof your income status is one of the criteria. Ruling might have slightly change but the template is there

Thank you, yes my parents are already holding Long Term Visit Pass :)

If you have been approved. What is there to worry? Just wait and it will come

I have read in some forums that it may be difficult for certain new applications or to open new accounts using a Temporary IC cos some organisations do not accept it. Not sure whether its true?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Can an SC apply / sponsor their parents to be an SC?

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 09 Jan 2016 12:13 pm

brightsunshine wrote: I have read in some forums that it may be difficult for certain new applications or to open new accounts using a Temporary IC cos some organisations do not accept it. Not sure whether its true?
Which is partially true. But what are you planning to open so urgently?

Legally those who refuse the IC with a hole are wrong, as they can always inquire with ICA if the IC is valid or not.

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Sun, 10 Jan 2016 2:47 pm

When IC punch a hole mean it has a new replacement IC. This is old IC and void.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Can an SC apply / sponsor their parents to be an SC?

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 10 Jan 2016 4:41 pm

therat wrote:When IC punch a hole mean it has a new replacement IC. This is old IC and void.
But when there is a hole punched, the new one doesn't come immediately, in lieu there's a temporary IC.