Singapore Expats

My EP got rejected.Requesting for suggestions!!

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
smk77

My EP got rejected.Requesting for suggestions!!

Post by smk77 » Thu, 07 Jan 2016 2:12 am

Hi All,

I applied for EP Singapore my E pass was rejected stating below reason

" the declared salary does not seem to commensurate with this candidate's credentials "

My Offer : S$7k

My Employer is preparing justification for this.Do I stand a chance if we make "Appeal".?Any success rate ?
Should I add up anything during my "Appeal".

Any suggestions would be great welcome,as am really forward for an opportunity in Singapore.

Thanks,
SM.
Last edited by smk77 on Thu, 14 Jan 2016 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

smk77

Re: My EP got rejected.Requesting for suggestions!!

Post by smk77 » Thu, 07 Jan 2016 2:16 am

I am having 8 years experience in IT.

smk77

Post by smk77 » Thu, 07 Jan 2016 1:47 pm

Can you any body reply please on this

Thanks.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Thu, 07 Jan 2016 1:54 pm

I think you take MoM's response at face value. An appeal isn't likely to be successful unless it raises at least one new, material fact for MoM to consider. Simply repeating the same information and asking for a different result isn't likely to work.

One new, material fact that MoM could consider is a salary adjustment.

smk77

Post by smk77 » Thu, 07 Jan 2016 1:57 pm

Thanks.

I am confused on the rejection reason,

" the declared salary does not seem to commensurate with this candidate's credentials "

Whether the provided salary is high or low for my position.Can u clarify please.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Thu, 07 Jan 2016 2:36 pm

Commensurate is not a verb in standard international English -- it's an adjective -- but we'll leave that grammatical issue aside.

Per the dictionary meaning of commensurate, MoM did not specify whether the offered salary is too high or two low. But MoM means one or the other. Usually it would be immediately obvious which one MoM meant -- you and your employer would be able to make a reasonable guess in the circumstances. You and your employer should be able to determine reasonable, current market-plus compensation rates for similar talent. However, if you and your employer are genuinely surprised and think that salary offer is Singapore-reasonable for this foreign talent (you) then your employer should ask MoM if they can be a little more specific in the direction.

Bear in mind that MoM is well aware of the games unscrupulous employers and cooperating employees play. They'll probably be at least mildly on guard for undisclosed "kickbacks." The fixed salary must be the fixed salary. It must be truthful, fully stated, unencumbered. For example, if your employer's "solution" is to pay you $8000 but then require you to pay back $1000 without telling anybody, that's a huge problem.

smk77

Post by smk77 » Thu, 07 Jan 2016 4:58 pm

Thank you.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 07 Jan 2016 10:35 pm

My sense is that your salary range is not out of range for your standard "plain vanilla" database administrator with a few years of experience. But, I bet the expectation is that a specialized Oracle DBA with eight years of experience would be more of a senior role, in which case you should be $9k - $12k per month.

You say you have eight years of experience in "IT". If not all of this experience is as a DBA, then perhaps an appeal is possible, explaining that you are a junior level DBA and the compensation is in line with other junior level positions.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: My EP got rejected.Requesting for suggestions!!

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 07 Jan 2016 11:47 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:My sense is that your salary range is not out of range for your standard "plain vanilla" database administrator with a few years of experience. But, I bet the expectation is that a specialized Oracle DBA with eight years of experience would be more of a senior role, in which case you should be $9k - $12k per month..
That's more or less what I see .

MOM is raising the expected salary for certain known jobs, like oracle DBA, and 10k sounds about right , not 7k.

For job descriptions that are not standard , candidate may get away with a lesser pay, like I saw a company recruit "performance coaches" at 6k.

Unlike a DBA for whom MOM probably has pay scale numbers.
Last edited by ecureilx on Thu, 07 Jan 2016 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sgstrait
Regular
Regular

Post by sgstrait » Fri, 08 Jan 2016 4:18 pm

You're within the salary range where job openings have to first be made open to Singaporeans and PRs for a number of weeks before the employer can source from outside. They do this because they want Singaporeans and PRs to have first opportunity to go for those jobs. One of the government's priorities is to increase the amount of pay for Singaporeans and PRs. Accordingly, they are stretching the salary range for foreigners earning within this bracket. My guess is that you're 1K-2K short of the amount to justify hiring a foreigner.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 08 Jan 2016 4:48 pm

sgstrait wrote:You're within the salary range where job openings have to first be made open to Singaporeans and PRs for a number of weeks before the employer can source from outside..
Oh, lovely.

Minus the advertisement, the rejection will not mention pay. It will say something else.

And advertising in JOBSBANK is mandatory before EP submission, FYI.

smk77

Post by smk77 » Fri, 08 Jan 2016 6:30 pm

Thanks.

It is really a strange situation for me.My Colleague with same payscale (7K) has got the EP.

Will a valid justification on my role has any positive chances on me the getting the EP.Thanks for your inputs.I will contact the employer and discuss further.

Siv
Regular
Regular

Post by Siv » Sun, 10 Jan 2016 9:37 am

ecureilx wrote:
And advertising in JOBSBANK is mandatory before EP submission, FYI.
Errrr....no.

There are a few exceptions to the JOBSBANK advertising :

1. Your company has 25 or fewer employees.
2. The job position is paying a fixed monthly salary of $12,000 and above.
3. The job is to be filled by an intra-corporate transferee (ICTs). Under the World Trade Organisation’s General Agreement on Trade in Services (WTO GATS), ICTs refer to those holding senior positions in the organisation or have an advanced level of expertise.
4. The job is necessary for short-term contingencies (i.e. period of employment in Singapore for not more than one month).

Yeah, no 2 will not be relevant to OP but just saying....there are exceptions to the Jobsbank thingy.

sgstrait
Regular
Regular

Post by sgstrait » Sun, 10 Jan 2016 10:03 am

I think the point is that his salary falls within the jobsbank range hence greater scrutiny

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

smk77

Post by smk77 » Wed, 13 Jan 2016 1:10 pm

My employer decided to apply for new EP with a new salary structure,splitting different components of my salary & why we are paying this salary.Will this have positive chances ?
Last edited by smk77 on Thu, 14 Jan 2016 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.