Singapore Expats

Infamous and notorious commission payment upon TA renewal.

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
newbiebuyer

Re: Infamous and notorious commission payment upon TA renewal.

Post by newbiebuyer » Tue, 05 Jan 2016 11:14 am

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The LL's agent came back saying since LL has engaged him, LL will pay the commission during renewal and that he will get it corrected in the TA. I am fine with it as it doesn't affect me. I am waiting to see if the LL notices it or not :roll:

Search By

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 05 Jan 2016 11:52 am

newbiebuyer wrote:Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The LL's agent came back saying since LL has engaged him, LL will pay the commission during renewal and that he will get it corrected in the TA.
So generous.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 05 Jan 2016 4:35 pm

newbiebuyer wrote:Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The LL's agent came back saying since LL has engaged him, LL will pay the commission during renewal and that he will get it corrected in the TA. I am fine with it as it doesn't affect me. I am waiting to see if the LL notices it or not :roll:
'Oops I nearly charged you $000s all by totally innocent mistake - [sigh] silly me eh?'

You better watch this agent...

p.s. The landlord will have a separate side agreement re: instructing his agent detailing fees, the agents responsibilities, how rent/fees are due etc.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

American
Regular
Regular

Post by American » Sat, 19 Mar 2016 10:12 pm

newbiebuyer wrote:Thanks Sunny1123, x9200 for the quick response!!
x9200 wrote:I had an agent and did not agree to have such clause included.
I am trying to push back with the agent now. What's the ideal clause to have for renewal?

1. Is it just an option to renew without mentioning anything about agent commission?

OR

2. Is it an option to renew and mentioning agent commission (if any) to be paid by tenant without specifying the amount ?
Has anyone heard of any legal cases where the tenant refused to pay the renewal commission? A follow up on my situation. I had a 1 year lease on a condo >$4000 a month. I was receiving very bad service from my agent. Never returned calls texts or emails regarding repairs. After a while I managed to connect with the landlords agent directly who became fairly responsive. Upon 1 year expiry the landlords agent called and asked what we wanted to do. We said we wanted to look at other options given the market conditions became more favorable to tenants. The landlord offered a reduction in rent. We went ahead and agreed. Our agent never even reached out when it came time for renewal.

However, it turns out that my significant other did sign a separate document with our agent before we found the place more than 1 year back, which stipulates a renewal commission of 1/2 months rent.However without knowing this I went ahead and agreed to the new rent with the landlord and the landlord agent directly.

4 months into the renewed lease the agent comes back asking for the 1/2 month commission. We have replied back asking why the agent never helped us with any of the servicing and issues with the unit and why the agent never approached us come renewal time

Waiting to hear back from the agent now.

Has there been any legal precedence of disputing renewal fees when the original agent was not involved with the renewal, even after reaching out to the agent beforehand to assist with the renewal (but unresponsive)? We are currently disputing this.

American
Regular
Regular

Post by American » Sat, 19 Mar 2016 10:17 pm

Wd40 wrote:In my experience, agents kind of make you sign a separate document that tells that you need to pay agent fee if you renew the lease.

In the past there used to be huge competition to get a unit to rent, so tenants would just sign this document, in the fear of losing the unit and also agents will tell you that it is very standard in Singapore so even if you look for another unit, you will have to sign it or lose that unit as well as time. This kind of forced the tenants to sign.

But now tables have turned and I think tenants have become smart enough and can straight away refuse to sign and also alter some of the unfair TA clauses.

In my personal experience, last year I had sign that document, but this year I knew the demand supply situation and told the landlord/agent that I wont pay it and then they worked it out among themselves and waived it off also reduced my rent by $50 :D
Very smart move on your part to manage to avoid the renewal commission!