Singapore Expats

Alternative job suggestions for foreigner lawyer

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
valerielee1990

Alternative job suggestions for foreigner lawyer

Post by valerielee1990 » Tue, 29 Dec 2015 5:40 pm

Hi all,

By way of introduction, I am a young and freshly qualified Hong Kong solicitor and am looking to relocate to Singapore for personal reasons.

I intend to become a local lawyer in Singapore (foreign lawyer is really not option as I am not in the corporate area) however I was told by the government that I would have to be a citizen or pr before I could be called as a local lawyer in Singapore. And for this reason, legal firms in Singapore are reluctant to offer me a legal job (not until I get my pr).

Any job suggestions or suggestions of companies who are willing to take foreigners (willing to do the visa!)- for me to work long enough to get a pr before getting back to law?

Basically anything that I could do with my law degree and qualification. Not necessarily have to be legal-related.

Sounds very pathetic I know....but I guess that's just how life is, and there's nothing I can change about as for now ](*,)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Alternative job suggestions for foreigner lawyer

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 29 Dec 2015 6:09 pm

valerielee1990 wrote:.

Sounds very pathetic I know....but I guess that's just how life is, and there's nothing I can change about as for now ](*,)
If not related to your qqualification, getting a pass will become tough, though HK passport holders were treated with a bit of preference previously.

Corporate law, contract law, conveyancing law, you should explore one of them.

If local law firms are not keen on you, you should keep looking. I know local firms do employ foreign lawyers for research and such.

Thatguy

Re: Alternative job suggestions for foreigner lawyer

Post by Thatguy » Tue, 29 Dec 2015 7:17 pm

I believe the Big 4 accounting firms may be looking at growing their legal professional services arms. Good luck with the transition.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Wed, 30 Dec 2015 10:12 am

Lawyers with foreign degrees can find work as paralegals here in Singapore. Try to find openings for paralegals, legal executives or legal secretaries. Salaries could be low and you may find the work to be below your qualifications but these are alternatives for you.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 30 Dec 2015 10:18 am

bro75 wrote:Lawyers with foreign degrees can find work as paralegals here in Singapore. Try to find openings for paralegals, legal executives or legal secretaries. Salaries could be low and you may find the work to be below your qualifications but these are alternatives for you.
+1

talking to a friend who is in R and T, she did say they employ Malaysians and HK folks, as the legal system is based on British.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 30 Dec 2015 11:43 am

There's plenty of non Singapore bar admitted lawyers here. They cover all sorts of fields but usually work for a foreign law firm. I have a friend admitted to the UK bar who practices distressed finance law, another admitted to the bar in Boston, WA. and CA. who practices IP law and many of my colleagues are corp lawyers working for the MNC I work for.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!