Singapore Expats

Rent options @ $2k / month

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
zeedubs

Rent options @ $2k / month

Post by zeedubs » Thu, 26 Nov 2015 5:03 pm

Hi all,

I am moving to Singapore from Hong Kong in the next month or two, and would like to understand what my rental options are for $1.5 - 2.5k a month.

I have seen recent threads on this by mayBz and baumresident but their workplace location or budget are somewhat different, and given how location-dependent real estate pricing is, I hope you will forgive me if you feel there is overlap between the threads. (I also don't want to derail/hijack their threads!)

Priorities:
- Budget – SGD $1500-$2500 / month
- Workplace: Above Tanjong Pagar MRT station
- property size/type: Studio or 1 BR preferred, but open to flatsharing if need be (Master BR with ensuite bathroom). HDB is fine if I am allowed to rent these
- Proximity to transport required: Ideally within 5 minutes walk to MRT (or buses that go to Tanjong Pagar MRT area). Prefer being on EW line to avoid having to change trains
- Paying out of pocket

Nice to have:
- Preferably close to local hawker food or other cheap eats (I don't cook at all), and supermarket
- Young single professional with no kids / pets etc so these are not considerations
- Gym facilities (I know this is wishful thinking at my budget from what I've seen on this forum, but I would be willing to increase the budget to stay in a condo with clean gym facilities, if it means saving on a gym membership - how much are basic gym memberships at the likes of Fitness First etc in SG btw?)

Your current home and commute:
- Currently living alone in a 200 sq ft / 18 sq m one BR (more like studio) in Hong Kong, so size is not an issue!
- Currently commute in HK is 20 mins door to door (i.e. from walking out the door at home to being at my desk; actual journey time on MRT is only 3 mins). Would like to keep door to door commute within 30 minutes.

Overall, I would rather find a clean small place within price range as close as possible to Tanjong Pagar, instead of stretching the budget for a 500-600 sq ft place with space I don't need in a location that is further out (remember I've become accustomed to 200 sq ft living and a short commute door to door in HK)

Advice on options which fit my budget and preferences would be greatly appreciated. Also more than happy to take on board feedback if the above is unrealistic (but alternatives in such cases would also be helpful)

Many thanks in advance! :)

Search By

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Re: Rent options @ $2k / month

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 26 Nov 2015 5:16 pm

zeedubs wrote:Hi all,

I am moving to Singapore from Hong Kong in the next month or two, and would like to understand what my rental options are for $1.5 - 2.5k a month.

I have seen recent threads on this by mayBz and baumresident but their workplace location or budget are somewhat different, and given how location-dependent real estate pricing is, I hope you will forgive me if you feel there is overlap between the threads. (I also don't want to derail/hijack their threads!)

Priorities:
- Budget – SGD $1500-$2500 / month
- Workplace: Above Tanjong Pagar MRT station
- property size/type: Studio or 1 BR preferred, but open to flatsharing if need be (Master BR with ensuite bathroom). HDB is fine if I am allowed to rent these
- Proximity to transport required: Ideally within 5 minutes walk to MRT (or buses that go to Tanjong Pagar MRT area). Prefer being on EW line to avoid having to change trains
- Paying out of pocket

Nice to have:
- Preferably close to local hawker food or other cheap eats (I don't cook at all), and supermarket
- Young single professional with no kids / pets etc so these are not considerations
- Gym facilities (I know this is wishful thinking at my budget from what I've seen on this forum, but I would be willing to increase the budget to stay in a condo with clean gym facilities, if it means saving on a gym membership - how much are basic gym memberships at the likes of Fitness First etc in SG btw?)

Your current home and commute:
- Currently living alone in a 200 sq ft / 18 sq m one BR (more like studio) in Hong Kong, so size is not an issue!
- Currently commute in HK is 20 mins door to door (i.e. from walking out the door at home to being at my desk; actual journey time on MRT is only 3 mins). Would like to keep door to door commute within 30 minutes.

Overall, I would rather find a clean small place within price range as close as possible to Tanjong Pagar, instead of stretching the budget for a 500-600 sq ft place with space I don't need in a location that is further out (remember I've become accustomed to 200 sq ft living and a short commute door to door in HK)

Advice on options which fit my budget and preferences would be greatly appreciated. Also more than happy to take on board feedback if the above is unrealistic (but alternatives in such cases would also be helpful)

Many thanks in advance! :)
Pasir Ris ... many many many 1BR studion condo in your price range.....

Its on the EW line , you also on train first so get a seat.

Its about 35 mins to Tanjong Pagar though!!!
Life is short, paddle harder!!

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Thu, 26 Nov 2015 10:09 pm

I wouldn't rule out the North South Line if you find suitable accommodation within your (tight) budget along the stretch past Novena, e.g. Toa Payoh, Braddell. Your transfer consists of walking about 12 meters across the same platform either at City Hall or Raffles Place depending on which direction you're going. It's the easiest, fastest transfer between lines in the whole system and really well designed.

zeedubs

Post by zeedubs » Fri, 27 Nov 2015 12:53 am

Thanks BBCWatcher, I'll keep that in mind, and it certainly helps by opening up a whole new area to consider / explore.

Barnsley, thanks also but I think Pasir Ris is a bit too far out for me.

Please keep the suggestions coming :)

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 21 Dec 2015 6:41 pm

zeedubs wrote:Thanks BBCWatcher, I'll keep that in mind, and it certainly helps by opening up a whole new area to consider / explore.

Barnsley, thanks also but I think Pasir Ris is a bit too far out for me.

Please keep the suggestions coming :)
Hillcrest /Hillview top end of Bukhit Timah
Life is short, paddle harder!!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Rent options @ $2k / month

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 21 Dec 2015 7:44 pm

dawn_chia78 wrote:..
Gee. You just increased the rental by 100 $ ...

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Rent options @ $2k / month

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 21 Dec 2015 7:59 pm

dawn_chia78 wrote:$...

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
Profile of tenant?

Like higher rental for Indians, PRC and Filipino?

dawn_chia78

Post by dawn_chia78 » Mon, 21 Dec 2015 8:03 pm

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

dawn_chia78

Post by dawn_chia78 » Mon, 21 Dec 2015 8:04 pm

You've been banned for 1 month for advertising after you received a warning. Shall you continue advertising after the ban period is over you will be banned permanently.

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Fri, 25 Dec 2015 1:10 am

Can get a 2bed HDB around Telok Blangah for around $2k...two stops on the bus to Vivocity (EW line, supermarkets, gym) and probably three or four bus stops in the other direction to Tajong Pager (I dunno, I drive).

Check commutes on www.gothere.sg

zeedubs

Post by zeedubs » Fri, 25 Dec 2015 9:25 pm

Thanks Barnsley and Curious George!