Singapore Expats

Where to get a diamond ring in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Where to get a diamond ring in Singapore

Post by JR8 » Thu, 17 Dec 2015 4:21 am

Let's get real: To what extent do you think she will know or care about any of this? She won't. It doesn't matter. Stop wanking over yourself.

There are no 'secrets' in gemology, just expensive aspects that people are too lazy to discover + a lot of spics who live on selling them a lie. You just got the 5-figure shmooze, by a chav on commission wearing a nylon suit. You already know far more than them, but seem to be falling for it.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

L.Jaff

Post by L.Jaff » Thu, 17 Dec 2015 12:06 pm

JR8 wrote:Let's get real: To what extent do you think she will know or care about any of this? She won't. It doesn't matter. Stop wanking over yourself.

There are no 'secrets' in gemology, just expensive aspects that people are too lazy to discover + a lot of spics who live on selling them a lie. You just got the 5-figure shmooze, by a chav on commission wearing a nylon suit. You already know far more than them, but seem to be falling for it.
Sorry, did I miss out on something? Most of the the info I got was from the links you shared.

How much she would cares about this, I don't know. But what I care is getting the best bang for my buck. When I compare prices from diamond wholesalers (not branded outlets), they categories their diamonds into 3 main categories,

1. Super Ideal Cut
2. Ideal Cut
3. Normal GIA triple Excellent

The price difference between each category is significant. For example, the price of a Super Ideal Cut and Ideal cut is about 10-20%, which can come up to a couple thousand dollars.

Now here is where the problem lies.... Different vendors classifies their diamonds differently. Not all vendor's Super Ideal Cut are the same standard. Meaning some are Ideal Cut quality but selling at Super Ideal Cut prices. And this is exactly why I'm doing my own research. The last thing I want to do is to overpay for an inferior diamond. I actually came across a few vendors selling normal GIA triple Excellent diamonds and even higher prices than another vendor's Super Ideal cut. The inconsistency in the industry is ridiculous.

Btw, the flat carat sizes makes sense. This is the Rapaport to show diamond price fluctuations. The index goes by the US$ hundreds per carat.

Say for a,

0.99ct D VS1
0.99 x USD 7300 = USD 7,227
*Assuming there's a 10% premium for 0.95-0.99 (stated in the chart)
It will come up to USD 7,947

1.00ct D VS1
1.00 x USD 11500 = USD 11,500

That's a whopping USD 3,553 difference just for a 0.01ct!! And I'm sure there's no way in hell I'll be able to see a 0.01ct difference.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 18 Dec 2015 6:27 pm

Yep, and that's what you get. Clue-less vanity-fed guys thinking 'I must get 1 carat', or 'Two carats' and so on. Guys think in whole numbers, like inches.

And so round numbers are supremely taxed, as such. Since by definition such stones are extremely rare.
{let you in on a secret: I bought some chick a 1.98Ct emerald cut diamond ring. Superlative stone - beautiful [freak bitch] - Did it matter that it was 1.98 and not the big 2.0/+, no but probably $10k less just down to that 0.02*.20gram by carat-weight. Did she know or care, did she scrutinise the diamond cert? what do you think? :)
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard