Singapore Expats

Amos Yee

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Amos Yee

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 16 Dec 2015 8:49 am

earthfriendly wrote:Amos is at it again, lol! So true.

"Am I going to be so arrogant as to say one life is better than the other? Naw, I don't know your circumstances, and neither do you know mine."

http://www.allsingaporestuff.com/articl ... therfckers
he needs to go to NS earlier, so he will know discipline !!!

Or let him stay in some ulu area of a third world country, with no running water, no internet ( :eek: ) and let's see how he copes

x9200

Re: Lee Kuan Yew

Post by x9200 » Wed, 16 Dec 2015 9:18 am

"Am I going to be so arrogant as to say one life is better than the other? Naw, I don't know your circumstances, and neither do you know mine."

Naive and embarrassing at best. Soon he will end up under longer term detention in some sort of mental care facility.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 16 Dec 2015 9:23 am

He's just being a petulant child now.

He will not get any sympathy.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 16 Dec 2015 10:44 am

x9200 wrote:

Naive and embarrassing at best. Soon he will end up under longer term detention in some sort of mental care facility.
unlikely for the govt to throw him in jail, even if the law says so.

It's a hot potato ! A lot of NGOs here are gunning for the govt and will use all of it to discredit the govt.

It is shocking (or not) that a few of the NGOs are loaded to the brim with opposition politicians, who even go all the way to Holland to voice their opinion that the last election was rigged :eek:

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 16 Dec 2015 12:02 pm

That's why I said about mental care institution. He has IMHO enough problems to come up of some local doctors with out of box diagnosis. If they do it while he is yet not legally an adult it will be difficult for any external party to question or re-examine.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 16 Dec 2015 4:33 pm

Curious how SGns have the time and inclination to get wound up about the ramblings of a geeky 'nobody' teenager. Still, I expect he's this months useful focus of public hatred. Meanwhile, how's the economy doing?

There seems to be a contradiction at play. SG wants to excel and be a world-leader, but also seems to demand that everyone 'be the same and comply'. I don't think the two can co-exist; like building a zoo and demanding a safari experience from it...

Maybe they should turn Sentosa into an experimental robot-nirvana, 'Sentopia - Beyond Utopia' :)
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Thu, 17 Dec 2015 12:30 pm

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 17 Dec 2015 1:00 pm

earthfriendly wrote:There you go..........

http://distractify.com/fyi/2015/12/16/b ... me-science
I swear a lot. Does it universally prove my points in this discussion or it just shows I can control myself adapting to social environments I am currently in?

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Thu, 17 Dec 2015 1:35 pm

Just read it for what it is lah. I am not going to argue about his manners or character. He is all out there for you to see and decide for yourself.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 17 Dec 2015 1:44 pm

JR8 wrote:Maybe they should turn Sentosa into an experimental robot-nirvana, 'Sentopia - Beyond Utopia' :)
wikipedia wrote:In an article in the Czech journal Lidové noviny in 1933, he explained that he had originally wanted to call the creatures laboři ("workers", from Latin labor). However, he did not like the word, and sought advice from his brother Josef, who suggested "roboti". The word robota means literally "corvée", "serf labor", and figuratively "drudgery" or "hard work" in Czech and also (more general) "work", "labor" in many Slavic languages (e.g.: Bulgarian, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Polish, Macedonian, Ukrainian, archaic Czech, as well as robot in Hungarian). Traditionally the robota (Hungarian robot) was the work period a serf (corvée) had to give for his lord, typically 6 months of the year. The origin of the word is the Old Church Slavonic (Old Bulgarian) rabota "servitude" ("work" in contemporary Bulgarian and Russian), which in turn comes from the Proto-Indo-European root *orbh-. Robot is cognate with the German root Arbeit (work)

'Robot' sounds apt.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 17 Dec 2015 1:48 pm

earthfriendly wrote:Just read it for what it is lah. I am not going to argue about his manners or character. He is all out there for you to see and decide for yourself.
I read it and apparently I missed your point in quoting the link in the context of our young rebel. I guess one of us needs some more swearing.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 17 Dec 2015 5:31 pm

nakatago wrote: Robot is cognate with the German root Arbeit (work)
'Robot' sounds apt.
There could be a nice little sign over the gate. 'Arbeit macht frei - Welcome to Sentopia [that'll be $88]'. All below a large mural of Big-Daddy doing his harsh but fair black polo-neck look.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 17 Dec 2015 5:37 pm

JR8 wrote:
nakatago wrote: Robot is cognate with the German root Arbeit (work)
'Robot' sounds apt.
There could be a nice little sign over the gate. 'Arbeit macht frei - Welcome to Sentopia [that'll be $88]'. All below a large mural of Big-Daddy doing his harsh but fair black polo-neck look.
They've already begun:

I know it's not the real Optimus because everyone knows Optimus is 33 feet tall and won't take no shit from no one.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sun, 20 Dec 2015 5:01 pm

It is a fallacy. To think that you can neutralize and standardize Singaporeans. To think that you can standardize human beings. Try as you might. You are just wasting your energy and resources that could have been redirected to better use.
It appears that after NAC CEO Kathy Lai wrote to the Straits Times to defend state censorship of the arts, NAC Chairman Chan Heng Chee defended the same in her speech as guest of honor at the Singapore International Film Festival. Her speech is an insult to the festival, which has prided itself on its support for freedom of expression by taking a principled stance against showing any film censored by the state. Chan’s speech also raises in an acute form the question of artists applying for and accepting state funding. In short, she claimed that the state has the right and the obligation to decide on what to fund, based on other considerations besides the artistic merit of the application. In response to the argument that the public purse belongs to the public and not the government, she countered that the public would prefer to spend more money on welfare subsidies and education, and less on the arts. This last point is meretricious: it is not a question of either-or. One may as well claim that the public would rather spend more money on welfare than on ministers’ pay, and thereby make a stronger claim than Chan’s.

Still, Chan’s speech makes it all too clear that the state after Lee Kuan Yew is bent on controlling the arts through its funding schemes. It will support the arts as a way of promoting the Singapore brand, and neuter the arts as a means of political and social expression. As its strategy clarifies, artists must decide how best to engage the state and retain their freedom and autonomy. I have a great deal of sympathy with the view that sees NAC funds as public monies and insists that they be dispensed on the sole consideration of artistic merit, and not the government’s political agenda. Such a view has right on its side, and idealism as its motive force. But the current one-party state has no trouble ignoring what is right and trashing what is ideal. It knows that it is the main funder of the arts in Singapore, and that Singapore artists have come to rely on its funding. By its cynical calculations, the state is certain that no matter how much of a stink artists may raise after each instance of censorship, they will return to suck its teats in the next round of grant applications.

The only way out of this bind is to wean us from state funding. We must learn to develop and present our works by using private, overseas, or minimal funding. This is possible not only for the literary arts, which are relatively inexpensive, but also for film and theater. We can pare down to the essentials, we can invent new forms for the new material situation, we can become resourceful. Groundbreaking works in film and on stage have been produced without state help, and, in many countries, against state sanction. They gain respect with their own people and with audiences abroad for their artistic integrity and innovation.
http://jeeleong.blogspot.com/

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 20 Dec 2015 6:27 pm

earthfriendly wrote:It is a fallacy. To think that you can neutralize and standardize Singaporeans. To think that you can standardize human beings. Try as you might. You are just wasting your energy and resources that could have been redirected to better use.
Isn't it a case of 'The experiment continues'.

Do you remember back in the 90s the SDU? Social Development Unit. Unmarried 20-somethings had to report to it, attend government organised match-making events. We'll pay you money to go and make babies with that spotty retard in the corner. Sounds completely 'Nazi' now, but that is how it was.

Arrogance via lack of democracy => quitters.

Return to “Strictly Speaking”