Singapore Expats

ALMOST Denied Entry to Singapore by the ICA

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Re: ALMOST Denied Entry to Singapore

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 19 Nov 2015 4:52 pm

PNGMK wrote:I might add that I'm surprised the inbound airline let you on their flight without a return ticket... I get asked everytime now for my IC if I'm on an inbound fl to Singapore with no onward ticket.
Agreed , I am surprised as well.... I got a right grilling when I was coming to Singapore on a one way ticket.

I had my IPA letter of approval though.

I cant believe that a company will let you on the plane for a one way "shopping" trip!
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Holicamika

Re: ALMOST Denied Entry to Singapore

Post by Holicamika » Thu, 19 Nov 2015 4:52 pm

x9200 wrote: It's less about overstaying and more about having means to go back IMHO. Same goes for the accommodation etc etc.
Wow I never thought of it that way :oops: I guess that is the main reason for them requiring a return ticket. I'll make it a habit to have a return ticket ready every time I travel now :-k

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: ALMOST Denied Entry to Singapore by the ICA

Post by JR8 » Thu, 19 Nov 2015 5:15 pm

I think the point of having a return ticket is it shows a) ability to fund it b) ability and intention to return c) a need to return.

Sure you could have a return ticket and change it or indeed simply not use it. But most people can't really afford to do such things.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 19 Nov 2015 7:01 pm

On a similar subject.
I mentioned in the other thread about my wife attending a workshop in JB. It was enough for her to cross the border 4 times, consecutive days to trigger Malaysian immigration and ask her questions as of what she was doing over there. They also put some remark in her passport (log <number>, exact hour she crossed the border last time). I wonder what they expected she might have been doing over there. Smuggling some stuff?

Holicamika

Post by Holicamika » Thu, 19 Nov 2015 7:29 pm

x9200 wrote:On a similar subject.
I mentioned in the other thread about my wife attending a workshop in JB. It was enough for her to cross the border 4 times, consecutive days to trigger Malaysian immigration and ask her questions as of what she was doing over there. They also put some remark in her passport (log <number>, exact hour she crossed the border last time). I wonder what they expected she might have been doing over there. Smuggling some stuff?
Smugglers usually don't go back and forth to a location consecutively from what I learned from Nat Geo documentaries. Maybe they thought she was doing a crime like theft or worse causing her to flee everyday for 4 consecutive days? And wow I would've worried like crap if I got a chop on my passport like that :\

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 19 Nov 2015 8:20 pm

She is a Caucasian and permanent resident of Singapore so while I am not saying all the Caucasians are crystal clear I don't expect something like this was suspected. Maybe they just couldn't make any sense out of this and decided to ask. Nb, there were other ladies attending the workshop from Singapore, but Malaysia is such a violent and dangerous place none of them dared to go back and preferred to stay in some 1star hotel close to the workshop location.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: ALMOST Denied Entry to Singapore by the ICA

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 20 Nov 2015 12:48 am

x9200 wrote:She is a Caucasian and permanent resident of Singapore so while I am not saying all the Caucasians are crystal clear I don't expect something like this was suspected. Maybe they just couldn't make any sense out of this and decided to ask. Nb, there were other ladies attending the workshop from Singapore, but Malaysia is such a violent and dangerous place none of them dared to go back and preferred to stay in some 1star hotel close to the workshop location.
When I used to take care of our switch in JB, after too many frequent visits, I also had a note in my passport... Next visit was for a Rotaract Meeting and I showed the invite ... when asked.

No further questions ... never bothered me after that. And my passport is Asian ;)

In fact a few PR have taken up residency in JB without proper residency in Malaysia or they claim its work in progress. ... they don't get bothered much .. though all of them I know drive in and out ...

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 20 Nov 2015 12:53 am

Holicamika wrote: Smugglers usually don't go back and forth to a location consecutively from what I learned from Nat Geo documentaries.
There's a real story about a Mexican who was traversing the border 3 or 4 times a week. Seems he was smuggling expensive shirts and pants across, by wearing them ;)

Siv
Regular
Regular

Post by Siv » Sat, 21 Nov 2015 10:36 am

x9200 wrote:but Malaysia is such a violent and dangerous place.
Wow. Generalise much ?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 21 Nov 2015 11:04 am

Siv wrote:
x9200 wrote:but Malaysia is such a violent and dangerous place.
Wow. Generalise much ?
Are you a Singaporean? Now I have generalised.

hendra_ahg

Post by hendra_ahg » Tue, 15 Dec 2015 5:19 pm

Damn.. u r very rich kid. Ok. Aside from that. It is normal for ica to bring a person to waiting area for further checking. And yes, sometimes they take ur thumbprint. U r lucky coming from changi where u can sit nicely on a sofa. Try to visit from batam like what i experienced last time. They put u in a small room with limited wood chair which is very uncomfortable. And inside mostly are maids trying to enter singapore... lol and dont worry, y will not be blacklisted. For me, everytime i visit singapore without ep, they will put me in the same small room again... haha... really interesting experience.

Holicamika

Post by Holicamika » Tue, 15 Dec 2015 5:24 pm

hendra_ahg wrote:Damn.. u r very rich kid. Ok. Aside from that. It is normal for ica to bring a person to waiting area for further checking. And yes, sometimes they take ur thumbprint. U r lucky coming from changi where u can sit nicely on a sofa. Try to visit from batam like what i experienced last time. They put u in a small room with limited wood chair which is very uncomfortable. And inside mostly are maids trying to enter singapore... lol and dont worry, y will not be blacklisted. For me, everytime i visit singapore without ep, they will put me in the same small room again... haha... really interesting experience.
I'm a makeup/beauty blogger so I also come often to Singapore to shop for cosmetics that are not available in Indonesia. And since the ICA incident I haven't came back tho I'm dying to shop ! I'm sorry that you had to go through that, must be very uncomfortable! :(

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 15 Dec 2015 6:07 pm

Holicamika wrote: I'm a makeup/beauty blogger so I also come often to Singapore to shop for cosmetics that are not available in Indonesia. And since the ICA incident I haven't came back tho I'm dying to shop ! I'm sorry that you had to go through that, must be very uncomfortable! :(
Sitting with maids, I guess that's very uncomfortable :(

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 17 Dec 2015 6:53 am

ecureilx wrote:
Holicamika wrote: I'm a makeup/beauty blogger so I also come often to Singapore to shop for cosmetics that are not available in Indonesia. And since the ICA incident I haven't came back tho I'm dying to shop ! I'm sorry that you had to go through that, must be very uncomfortable! :(
Have you tried waiting in the Philippine embassy on a Sunday?! Makes me want to reluctantly change my accent.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 17 Dec 2015 7:38 am

nakatago wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
Have you tried waiting in the Philippine embassy on a Sunday?! Makes me want to reluctantly change my accent.
yep, been in 26 Nassim Road on Sundays. It's so noisy :)