Singapore Expats

SGH 'determined to regain trust of Singaporeans' after Hepatitis C outbreak

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

SGH 'determined to regain trust of Singaporeans' after Hepatitis C outbreak

Post by Pal » Thu, 10 Dec 2015 10:03 pm

SGH apologises for its lapses and says it has started on plans to close the gaps identified by the Independent Review Committee.

The Independent Review Committee said the Hepatitis C cluster was likely caused by infection control breaches, and there were gaps found in the response.

In October, SGH announced that 25 patients in its renal ward had contracted the virus. The hospital has screened hundreds of patients and staff following the discovery of the cluster.

More details at:
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sin ... 28788.html
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: SGH 'determined to regain trust of Singaporeans' after Hepatitis C outbreak

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 10 Dec 2015 10:28 pm

Pal wrote:...
And a middle ground review .

http://themiddleground.sg/2015/12/09/me ... a-ward-67/

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Re: SGH 'determined to regain trust of Singaporeans' after Hepatitis C outbreak

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 11 Dec 2015 5:56 pm

I cannot believe there hasnt been any resignations/sackings over any of these issues.

How to create trust when nobody is willing to take responsibility for anything.

A joke!!
Life is short, paddle harder!!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: SGH 'determined to regain trust of Singaporeans' after Hepatitis C outbreak

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 11 Dec 2015 6:33 pm

Barnsley wrote:I cannot believe there hasnt been any resignations/sackings over any of these issues.

A joke!!
Sacking / resignation? Considering how the renal wards operate it's not fair for anyone at lower level to be fired and top ? That's a thought though ...

Sporkin
Chatter
Chatter

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: SGH 'determined to regain trust of Singaporeans' after Hepatitis C outbreak

Post by Sporkin » Fri, 11 Dec 2015 7:00 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Barnsley wrote:I cannot believe there hasnt been any resignations/sackings over any of these issues.

A joke!!
Sacking / resignation? Considering how the renal wards operate it's not fair for anyone at lower level to be fired and top ? That's a thought though ...
Sacrilegious! That will create precedence for more accountability at the top, move along we have it all under control...

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sat, 12 Dec 2015 8:49 am

It is super annoying whenever I read someone has to be fired or commit suicide after the incident. There is a lot of freedom (to explore different ways of doing things and do good) when people feel they are allowed to make choices and make mistakes. I don't see the point of firing or over-faulting them for an honest mistake. It is thru trial and error that let them refine their practices. Also, if you try to replace them with new blood, it is a whole new learning curve all over again.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 12 Dec 2015 8:52 am

^^^This.

Although, we are not talking about train stoppages here, but human lives. Bit of a difference in this case, don't you think?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sat, 12 Dec 2015 8:59 am

The existing team understands that there were lapses and receptive to recommendations for fixes. Let them continue to do their good work and learn from this. Unless there is blatant disregard and unprofessionalism involved. I don't see why people need to get fired.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 12 Dec 2015 12:00 pm

earthfriendly wrote:The existing team understands that there were lapses and receptive to recommendations for fixes. Let them continue to do their good work and learn from this.
Of course. They should be even rewarded for admitting something was wrong. Receptive to recommendations for fixes after destroying few lives? So extraordinary. Let them have on top of the reward the 14th and 15th salary bonuses!
earthfriendly wrote:Unless there is blatant disregard and unprofessionalism involved. I don't see why people need to get fired.
This is not an ordinary job. For a blatant disregard they should be fired and prosecuted. If they failed because of a basic misconduct they should be fired. But they should not be fired in case something was beyond their control or has not fallen under reasonable/practice expectations.

Note, we don't know what actually happened.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: SGH 'determined to regain trust of Singaporeans' after Hepatitis C outbreak

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 12 Dec 2015 1:30 pm

x9200 wrote:But they should not be fired in case something was beyond their control or has not fallen under reasonable/practice expectations..
From the chatter in volunteer groups, the direction is the staff were following procedure. Which in medical line, keeps changing due to discoveries and such.

An example, for CPR it has changed to focus on compression if rhere is no one way valve vs the previous notion that ventilation was extremely important.

And working in Renal is dealing with blood and such multiple times a day.

I would not want to see and medical staff have their record tainted for following procedures.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 12 Dec 2015 2:32 pm

ecureilx wrote:
x9200 wrote:But they should not be fired in case something was beyond their control or has not fallen under reasonable/practice expectations..
From the chatter in volunteer groups, the direction is the staff were following procedure. Which in medical line, keeps changing due to discoveries and such.
[..]
And working in Renal is dealing with blood and such multiple times a day.

I would not want to see and medical staff have their record tainted for following procedures.
The HCV transmission is almost always about blood so hard to make an excuse out of the fact that they worked with blood. So is the renal ward job.
Following procedure, ok, unless they noticed something that would be a potential hazard (and they should have noticed it based on their knowledge and expected skills) and failed to inform their superiors/person in charge.

calugaruvaxile
Chatter
Chatter

Post by calugaruvaxile » Tue, 15 Dec 2015 1:00 am

earthfriendly wrote:It is super annoying whenever I read someone has to be fired or commit suicide after the incident. There is a lot of freedom (to explore different ways of doing things and do good) when people feel they are allowed to make choices and make mistakes. I don't see the point of firing or over-faulting them for an honest mistake. It is thru trial and error that let them refine their practices. Also, if you try to replace them with new blood, it is a whole new learning curve all over again.

what sgporeans can't understand is that some "young blood" people's "performance curb" may reach (far) higher than that of the "old blood". even if for 6 months it's a little bit below

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 15 Dec 2015 10:19 am

x9200 wrote:
earthfriendly wrote:The existing team understands that there were lapses and receptive to recommendations for fixes. Let them continue to do their good work and learn from this.
Of course. They should be even rewarded for admitting something was wrong. Receptive to recommendations for fixes after destroying few lives? So extraordinary. Let them have on top of the reward the 14th and 15th salary bonuses!
earthfriendly wrote:Unless there is blatant disregard and unprofessionalism involved. I don't see why people need to get fired.
This is not an ordinary job. For a blatant disregard they should be fired and prosecuted. If they failed because of a basic misconduct they should be fired. But they should not be fired in case something was beyond their control or has not fallen under reasonable/practice expectations.

Note, we don't know what actually happened.
I concur!!
Life is short, paddle harder!!