Singapore Expats

More music for Thaipusam celebrations

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
menudown
Chatter
Chatter

More music for Thaipusam celebrations

Post by menudown » Wed, 02 Dec 2015 12:44 pm

One of the best things about having many races living in harmony is that we get to observe many types of celebration and one of them being Thaipusam. Why the ban of musical instruments during this procession? it really takes away the mood, energy and motivation for the devotees

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sin ... 11850.html

x9200

Re: More music for Thaipusam celebrations

Post by x9200 » Sun, 06 Dec 2015 8:04 am

I think you missed the discussion earlier on this year. Just search for Thaipusam.

BTW, in the above paper they say The playing of musical instruments during Thaipusam has been banned since 1973, after a history of rivalry and fights between competing groups that disrupted the procession. but all the later discussion is apparently about the noise. Were they back in 1973 competing who would drum louder trying to knock down the opponents with the cacophony or what?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: More music for Thaipusam celebrations

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 06 Dec 2015 8:17 pm

x9200 wrote:. Were they back in 1973 competing who would drum louder trying to knock down the opponents with the cacophony or what?
It was more than the noise, it used to get physical .. and I believe the 70s saw Singapore law enforcement looking closely at anything that is close to any gang / secret society like groups.

The traditional music players were put in the same category as possible trouble makers I guess .

Times have changed a lot but the antiquated rules have remained unchanged.

Even now you can see Home Team inspections going after guys and girls having tattoos and should two individuals have identical tattoos = possible secret society found Image

I know a guy, ex cop, who claims to be an expert in secret society tattoos and secret sign languages.

No kidding.

TMD
Chatter
Chatter

Re: RE: Re: More music for Thaipusam celebrations

Post by TMD » Sun, 06 Dec 2015 11:11 pm

ecureilx wrote:
x9200 wrote:. Were they back in 1973 competing who would drum louder trying to knock down the opponents with the cacophony or what?
It was more than the noise, it used to get physical .. and I believe the 70s saw Singapore law enforcement looking closely at anything that is close to any gang / secret society like groups.
The traditional music players were put in the same category as possible trouble makers I guess .

Times have changed a lot but the antiquated rules have remained unchanged.

Even now you can see Home Team inspections going after guys and girls having tattoos and should two individuals have identical tattoos = possible secret society found Image
I know a guy, ex cop, who claims to be an expert in secret society tattoos and secret sign languages.
No kidding.
Indeed, the 1973 rule on Thaipusam may seems out of time, but boy am I shocked to know that gangsterism and violence is well and alive just across the Causeway amongst the Indian community after reading the news of Penang gangsters this year.

http://retamil.com/gangsterism-malaysian-indians/
http://www.themalaymailonline.com/malay ... -shootings

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: More music for Thaipusam celebrations

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 07 Dec 2015 8:06 am

TMD wrote: Indeed, the 1973 rule on Thaipusam may seems out of time, but boy am I shocked to know that gangsterism and violence is well and alive just across the Causeway amongst the Indian community after reading the news of Penang gangsters this year.

http://retamil.com/gangsterism-malaysian-indians/
http://www.themalaymailonline.com/malay ... -shootings

Mixing regular street violence in a country with poor law enforcement... and gangs ?

Sounds like insisting liquor was the cause of Little India Riot.

TMD
Chatter
Chatter

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: More music for Thaipusam celebrations

Post by TMD » Mon, 07 Dec 2015 10:05 am

ecureilx wrote:Mixing regular street violence in a country with poor law enforcement... and gangs ?
Yeah...that's what is clearly inferred in Thaipusam rule itself according to CNA:

Besides the additional music points, changes include allowing the last Kavadi to leave the Sri Srinivasa Perumal temple at 7pm and stepping up enforcement against the sale and consumption of alcohol along the route.

For the LI-riot-liquor theory, it was also concluded in the 2014 COI:
Little India Riot COI - Annex A to Executive Summary - 2014-06-27.pdf COI
The consumption of alcohol by some members of the crowd -
Alcohol intoxication, which can lead to increased aggression when combined with frustration and overreactions to perceived threats or injustice, was a major contributory factor to the nature and escalation of the riot. Many of the foreign workers the COI spoke with who had been present at the scene of the riot admitted to having consumed alcohol that night

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: More music for Thaipusam celebrations

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 07 Dec 2015 10:52 am

TMD wrote:
ecureilx wrote:Mixing regular street violence in a country with poor law enforcement... and gangs ?
Yeah...that's what is clearly inferred in Thaipusam rule itself according to CNA:

Besides the additional music points, changes include allowing the last Kavadi to leave the Sri Srinivasa Perumal temple at 7pm and stepping up enforcement against the sale and consumption of alcohol along the route.

Alcohol intoxication, which can lead to increased aggression when combined with frustration and overreactions to perceived threats or injustice, was a major contributory factor to the nature and escalation of the riot. Many of the foreign workers the COI spoke with who had been present at the scene of the riot admitted to having consumed alcohol that night
Ok. Got it. Indians are drunkards.

Like how the COI decided to pin the blame on drunkards.

Than other factors.

TMD
Chatter
Chatter

Post by TMD » Mon, 07 Dec 2015 11:13 am

ecureilx wrote:
TMD wrote:

Ok. Got it. Indians are drunkards.
Like how the COI decided to pin the blame on drunkards.
Than other factors.
Not at all - In fact, non of the 3 factors mentioned in the COI made any reference to certain nationality..

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 07 Dec 2015 1:35 pm

TMD wrote:Not at all - In fact, non of the 3 factors mentioned in the COI made any reference to certain nationality..
Got it, you gotta be a rocket scientist to not connect the dots - Riots, involving Indians, drunk .. they are not talking about any race at all ;)

TMD
Chatter
Chatter

Post by TMD » Wed, 09 Dec 2015 11:24 am

ecureilx wrote:
TMD wrote:Not at all - In fact, non of the 3 factors mentioned in the COI made any reference to certain nationality..
Got it, you gotta be a rocket scientist to not connect the dots - Riots, involving Indians, drunk .. they are not talking about any race at all ;)
I doubt any 2 rocket scientists will draw the exact same interconnecting lines between those dots when the facts presented by the COI can be interpreted differently by both individual.

And I think the same applies between you and me. :wink:

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: More music for Thaipusam celebrations

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 10 Dec 2015 10:02 am

TMD wrote: I doubt any 2 rocket scientists will draw the exact same interconnecting lines between those dots when the facts presented by the COI can be interpreted differently by both individual.

And I think the same applies between you and me. :wink:
So what's your beef with Indians ? Pardon my words please ...