Singapore Expats

PR on spouse scheme and NS-liability

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
marts

PR on spouse scheme and NS-liability

Post by marts » Tue, 24 Nov 2015 10:56 pm

Hi,

I am 35 years-old PEP holder. I applied Singapore PR through my wife sponsorship who is already PR.
Good news is I got IPA approval, bad news is I understood too late I may be eligible for NS full-time (2y).
Indeed, I would be considered as 2nd generation of PR (which I thought was applicable only to my son) and thus NS-liable as I did not apply on Work scheme.

I am currently main source of income of my family and I cannot see how I could stop working for 2y for full-time NS with no income and I don't see much rational for Singapore to invest 2y full time NS and serve only until my (too) soon coming 40y.

Even if I may be exempted NS (on MINDEF case by case analysis), I am not 100% sure and not really willing to take this risk for my family stability. Anyone has some wise advice to share ?

Thanks

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: PR on spouse scheme and NS-liability

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 24 Nov 2015 11:18 pm

If you are 35 don't worry about it. You will get a waiver. But you still have to register. I don't know anybody over the age of 30 who wasn't given a waiver. If it does happen, remember, it might contain an invitation for Singaporean Citizenship which IS your ultimate goal, RIGHT? :-k
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

marts

Post by marts » Tue, 24 Nov 2015 11:30 pm

Thanks for your reply.
But how many people above 30 in this situation do you know ? :p
A bit difficult to assess my real risk here ... this short term risk on 2y NS is challenging my family plans.

About Singaporean citizenship, I believe meeting and marrying my wife in Singapore then baby in Singapore, PR application for me and my son... I am definitively building roots here for more than a few years, and indeed why not up to citizenship (though it is not yet an option).

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 25 Nov 2015 10:34 am

I guess you're prefer to live in fear based on rumours. Trust us; you're not going to be enrolled in NS, your children will be.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: PR on spouse scheme and NS-liability

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 25 Nov 2015 11:12 am

PNGMK wrote:I guess you're prefer to live in fear based on rumours. Trust us; you're not going to be enrolled in NS, your children will be.
The only two guys I know who had to do NS were born in Singapore but parents took them and went back home. Parents were never PR or SC.

When the fellows came here to work and applied PR they were told of their NS requirement, and did 6 weeks "holiday" as they claimed, and was on recall for few years. Considering their vocation, they were enjoying it I guess.

That was like 10 years plus ago, and I am sure the fellows (both not related to each other, btw) were happy to do NS 'light', as they wanted to be SC eventually and they are SC now.

Rules have changed a lot ever since.

And I guess the equivalent is the volunteer NS being trialled on PRs and new SCs.