Singapore Expats

Best method to find "flat minder" while on vacation?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
russch

Best method to find "flat minder" while on vacation?

Post by russch » Thu, 30 Jul 2015 6:21 pm

Over the last few months, my wife and I have collected quite a few indoor and outdoor house plants -- so many that automatic watering devices aren't really viable (too much time / effort to build them, too much money to buy them...and no place to store them when not in use)

So...we're looking for someone to come in every day and water when we're out of town.

How have you folks typically made this work?
  • Our condo management has no one to recommend
    The Singaporeans we know (with kids who might be interested in this sort of gig) don't live nearby
    I'm not turning up any online ads for people who do this sort of thing (feed cats, water plants, etc.)
Has anyone dealt with the same situation? I've thought about placing an ad on Gumtree or a similar site, but I'd prefer to have some sort of (even indirect) recommendation vs. having a complete stranger involved.

We live on Beach Road near Golden Mile if that helps...

Thanks much!

x9200

Re: Best method to find "flat minder" while on vacation?

Post by x9200 » Thu, 30 Jul 2015 7:15 pm

Have you considered this type of device?

As it can be seen it is tap attachable so in a typical Singapore condo back yard scenario you can hook it instead of washing machine, gather you plants around the floor water outlet, attached a basic sprinkler and voilà.
I used similar solution when I had ca 20 plants and had to leave for like 3 weeks for Europe.
Such tap timer can be bought for ca $200 or less.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 31 Jul 2015 6:57 am

x9200 wrote:Have you considered this type of device?

As it can be seen it is tap attachable so in a typical Singapore condo back yard scenario you can hook it instead of washing machine, gather you plants around the floor water outlet, attached a basic sprinkler and voilà.
I used similar solution when I had ca 20 plants and had to leave for like 3 weeks for Europe.
Such tap timer can be bought for ca $200 or less.
Oooh....they ain't so expensive after all.

I was just thinking about this but didn't really do some research. All I did was keep thinking of ways to build one.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 31 Jul 2015 9:31 am

I briefly google-checked and some models could be bought even for SGD150.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 31 Jul 2015 10:01 am

How about a nice friendly neighbour or friend/colleague who live close enough (doesn't have to be Singaporeans :P)?

BlockSuper

Post by BlockSuper » Wed, 18 Nov 2015 12:01 pm

I face the same problems as you sometimes - not particularly close to my neighbours and sometimes need someone to mind the flat. On a similar topic, what do you guys do when you need to have a plumber come in during office hours but there's no one at home. (both spouse work). Taking time off during office hours is pretty frowned upon here...?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 18 Nov 2015 12:06 pm

(Request to) arrange for a plumber that would come at the time convenient not for the plumber, not for the LL, but for me.

BlockSuper

Post by BlockSuper » Wed, 18 Nov 2015 12:20 pm

x9200 wrote:(Request to) arrange for a plumber that would come at the time convenient not for the plumber, not for the LL, but for me.
That's usually more expensive? I guess it's the price to pay for convenience... dreadful having to watch the plumber fix the pipes after a long day at work.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 18 Nov 2015 12:41 pm

No, I don't think it is more expensive. Of course if something is very urgent, you have to be more flexible. I guess it also depends on your office hours but normally I manage to arrange to have such work done after 5pm or on Saturdays with no extra charge.

BlockSuper

Post by BlockSuper » Wed, 18 Nov 2015 12:45 pm

Oh really? In London, it costs an arm and a leg to get a plumber out for housecalls outside of office hours.
Do you have a reliable plumber's contact that I can have in case I need one next time.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 18 Nov 2015 1:19 pm

Sorry, I don't. Last time I used one it was arranged by the LL to fix some issues under the 30 days warranty period and I would not recommend him anyway.

But I used the NTUC guys for some other issues and people generally are positive about the service they provide (reasonable price-quality ratio)
http://www.income.com.sg/value-added-se ... e-services

Just insist to have it on Saturday, or Sunday or weekdays, the time you could be at home. If not doable, look for another one.

BlockSuper

Post by BlockSuper » Wed, 18 Nov 2015 1:26 pm

Amazing. thanks mate.