Singapore Expats

General Election - Coming Soon - 11th September

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: General Election - Coming Soon - 11th September

Post by JR8 » Sat, 03 Oct 2015 11:52 pm

I'd be all for women doing some form of Civil Defence service. [Most] Other countries seem to have confirmed that if and when it comes to it, few societies can or will accept women being sent to the front line.... and if that is so, there seems little point training them for such roles.
But I also suspect SG wouldn't even go that far (CD) due to the patriarchal nature of society, and how women in that age-group are meant to be home-making and popping out future citizens.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 04 Oct 2015 9:35 am

I don't see anything wrong with having women in the armed forces. India for example have a lot of women in its ranks, except at the moment they are all in non combat roles, i can't remember we had women pilots or not but I recall reading about it somewhere.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 04 Oct 2015 11:43 am

Wd40 wrote:I remember having similar debates with SMS in the past about the inability of driving cars in SG. But its been 6 years now for me in SG and now for the last 1 yr I dont even ride a motorcycle, like a I used to before. I sold my Motorcycle since I got a job in the city and its not practical anymore. I dont miss it anymore. Its just psychological, that you need a car or a bike.
It's purely practical with some personal factors, e.g. how much you value your time and whether you prefer to spend it in the public transportation or, for example, with your family.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 04 Oct 2015 4:16 pm

x9200 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:I remember having similar debates with SMS in the past about the inability of driving cars in SG. But its been 6 years now for me in SG and now for the last 1 yr I dont even ride a motorcycle, like a I used to before. I sold my Motorcycle since I got a job in the city and its not practical anymore. I dont miss it anymore. Its just psychological, that you need a car or a bike.
It's purely practical with some personal factors, e.g. how much you value your time and whether you prefer to spend it in the public transportation or, for example, with your family.
I think this "Spending time with family" and the guilt associated with the lack of it is a bit over rated.
Q)What does a typical family do these days when they are all at home?
A)Each one glued to their own mobile device :)

Atleast in my house this is the case. I come home and continue browsing on my laptop. My wife on her phone. My daughter comes are pulls me away from my laptop and tells me to play with her. I bribe her with another phone and tell her, here you go browse on this one. Now she is also addicted to phones. Watches cartoon videos on Youtube. Although, theoritically I know I need to spend time with my daughter and play with her, practically after spending a tiring day in office, I just want to be on my own and keep browsing.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 04 Oct 2015 8:49 pm

My wife, who uses our car, arrives at home around 7-7:15pm. If she uses public transportation she arrives 8:30pm. Our son goes to sleep ~9:30pm. Same applies for the mornings. Overrated? Just people live different lives and not everybody follows typical patriarchal model of the male working and the female staying at home.

But also for myself, the difference between a bus and a motorbike is ca 1h. I still prefer to spend it at home where I have always so much to do, with my son, passive or active, rather than on a bus or train. Besides, we would need to pay our nanny to stay 1h longer, so again, it's nothing but pragmatic and nothing psychological in it.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 04 Oct 2015 9:16 pm

Wd40 wrote:I think this "Spending time with family" and the guilt associated with the lack of it is a bit over rated.
Q)What does a typical family do these days when they are all at home?
A)Each one glued to their own mobile device

Although, theoritically I know I need to spend time with my daughter and play with her, practically after spending a tiring day in office, I just want to be on my own and keep browsing.
This is why you can't have nice things.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 04 Oct 2015 9:52 pm

x9200 wrote:My wife, who uses our car, arrives at home around 7-7:15pm. If she uses public transportation she arrives 8:30pm. Our son goes to sleep ~9:30pm. Same applies for the mornings. Overrated? Just people live different lives and not everybody follows typical patriarchal model of the male working and the female staying at home.

But also for myself, the difference between a bus and a motorbike is ca 1h. I still prefer to spend it at home where I have always so much to do, with my son, passive or active, rather than on a bus or train. Besides, we would need to pay our nanny to stay 1h longer, so again, it's nothing but pragmatic and nothing psychological in it.
Okay, I got it. Yes, in your circumstances, it does make plenty of sense. In my case, not so much. But seriously, 1 Hr difference b/w bus and motorcycle? You must be doing a lot of riding in that case. My previous setup was something like that, my office was in Changi and home in AMK. Over the TPE, it took me 20 mins by bike. Public transport would have taken me 1 and 1/2 hours. But now, I stay in Tampines and my office is Alexandra road. Bike will probably take me 45 Mins and I would probably save 30 mins each way.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 05 Oct 2015 8:23 am

WD40, East Bukit Batok to NTU. 3 transfers, ca 1:10min according to gothere (I think it's very optimistic esp. in more busy hours and inside uni term - tons of students) and this include almost 400m walk. By bike is a short jump to and from PIE.

If I had a good connection (say within 30-40 min real time, with a seat) I would probably chose it over the bike.

But this also works the other way around - we would need to pay a few hundred S$ more for anything in a better (public transport-wise) location.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 05 Oct 2015 11:40 am

x9200 wrote:My wife, who uses our car, arrives at home around 7-7:15pm. If she uses public transportation she arrives 8:30pm. Our son goes to sleep ~9:30pm. Same applies for the mornings. Overrated? Just people live different lives and not everybody follows typical patriarchal model of the male working and the female staying at home.

If I drive it takes from 25 minutes (Saturday mornings only) to 45 minutes to go to work. Using public transport it takes 1hr 15 min using a feeder bus on each end and the circle line and east west line (morning or night). Going home using the car, it takes from 45 minutes to 1.5 hrs or more. Family time in the mornings virtually zero as kids are in school or sleeping and same with the wife usually. In the evening, half an hour doesn't really make much difference.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

calugaruvaxile
Chatter
Chatter

Post by calugaruvaxile » Sun, 11 Oct 2015 10:47 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
If I drive it takes from 25 minutes (Saturday mornings only) to 45 minutes to go to work. Using public transport it takes 1hr 15 min using a feeder bus on each end and the circle line and east west line (morning or night). Going home using the car, it takes from 45 minutes to 1.5 hrs or more. Family time in the mornings virtually zero as kids are in school or sleeping and same with the wife usually. In the evening, half an hour doesn't really make much difference.
it takes me 25 mins both ways (16.7 miles on google maps). road rages against me? well ... why?

in sg, i had to commute about the same distance (bukit batok to hougang). 1h 20 mins by car, 2 hr 30 by public, 35 mins by m/c (yes, riding like a malaysian and always fearful for my life)

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Tue, 13 Oct 2015 3:09 pm

It takes me 10min to walk from my home to office.......10min to drive....... and 20min on the bus.

Sorry, just thought I'd throw that in there. Everybody else was saying public transport sucks so..... I concur. :P :mrgreen:

More pub time, always a better option!
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

TMD
Chatter
Chatter

Post by TMD » Thu, 05 Nov 2015 11:11 pm

calugaruvaxile wrote:....
do i have a grudge against sg? no, dude! i actually got a lot a money from sg, and currently i have everything i need. i have a grudge against sg citizens who act like sheep and accept all this and they're really happy. instead of going forward, make a citizen's movement like walesa's solidarity, they bitch about this and that, blaming the klingonians for the erp increase. ....
Sounds personal to me. That may explains why your sudden rant against me and the system, which you proudly claimed to have "tricked".

Just saying.. :roll:

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pal » Wed, 24 Jun 2020 8:37 am

Another 5 years, another General Election:
viewtopic.php?t=136041

Time flies ...
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property