Singapore Expats

Videogame light guns

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
gunrock

Videogame light guns

Post by gunrock » Tue, 20 Oct 2015 10:41 pm

There are restrictions on toy guns being brought into Singapore, do you know of any restrictions of videogame lightguns being brought into the country?

If anyone doesn't know what these are: these are the things that you can hook up to your Playstation 2 or earlier type of console and point at a CRT television to shoot things on the screen. Similar to the sort of thing you see attached to machines in amusement arcades. They don't fire actual projectiles, just a lightbeam at the screen. They are usually brightly coloured, but not always.

I'm waiting on a decision about whether I am being relocated to Singapore and was wondering about my videogame collection. Also wondering about the effects of humidity on it all as well....

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Videogame light guns

Post by menudown » Wed, 21 Oct 2015 10:07 am

I believe its wired and a plastic looking toy gun..unless it resembles a real gun
just declare it first hand at the counter

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 21 Oct 2015 11:42 am

menudown wrote:I believe its wired and a plastic looking toy gun..unless it resembles a real gun
just declare it first hand at the counter
I wouldn't declare crap. Pack it with the rest of your household belongings and move along. IF you were to be questioned be prepared to demonstrate the nature of the toy.

I know a fellow with a collection of kris who has brought them in for many years without issue.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 21 Oct 2015 12:52 pm

As menudown said, the resemblance is the key. If this can be mistaken for the real one, better check out with the customs. You can google out how to contact them and they will respond.

One of these?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 21 Oct 2015 1:51 pm

I'm afraid any of the above light guns would be subject to extreme scrutiny by the police as the do resemble semiautomatic handguns fitted with laser sights. It would be better to declare them and have official acceptance than to be caught with them otherwise.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

gunrock

Post by gunrock » Wed, 21 Oct 2015 4:44 pm

They're UK/European versions and the UK has laws about toy guns looking like real guns, so brightly coloured plastic is often the case.

One looks like this:

The other like this:

The Dreamcast ones look like:

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 21 Oct 2015 5:35 pm

Looks pretty obvious to me, but you never know. If they got the idea to restrict it on the assumption that someone may use something like this for threatening, they may equally well assume one could buy black paint and make it less obvious (I am mostly talking about the first one). Probably you only risk to have them confiscated but I would still ask for a peace of mind.

gunrock

Post by gunrock » Wed, 21 Oct 2015 5:45 pm

Ok, cool. Thanks for everyone's responses. I'll think about leaving them in the UK or doing a declaration when (and if) the decision to move us comes through.

BugisWonderland

Post by BugisWonderland » Fri, 30 Oct 2015 9:24 am

Unless you're really looking to still play those consoles when you move to Singapore, best bet would be to leave them home. From my personal experience with a similar model, I did declare it and it did not have any issues at all, so for me, your transparency on the issue would make it easier if you do decide to bring it in.

gunrock

Post by gunrock » Mon, 02 Nov 2015 7:54 pm

Yeah, bit torn about how much of the videogame collection to bring. I guarantee whatever I get rid of or put in storage will be the one thing I want on any given day!