Singapore Expats

Visitor Visa Request Rejected - Appeal Stauts & Next Steps - Suggestions

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Visitor Visa Request Rejected - Appeal Stauts & Next Steps - Suggestions

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 19 Oct 2015 2:19 pm

BBC, nobody is criticizing you. It's just that you didn't do any research into the cultural habits of the poster. You call it racial prejudice, we call it stereotyping (which is also wrong - technically) and if you ask the OP he will probably agree with us. I tend agree with the majority here as I am also married to an Indian, and my daughter is also married to an Indian so you might say I've have a inside track to the way that they think (but would have had, in any case, after being on this board for over a decade. Certain traits are easy to spot. By the way, are you from chi town, perchance?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 19 Oct 2015 2:20 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:So how about we present all options, then we let Venka81 decide what he/she and his/her in-laws want to do? Let's skip the pungent aroma of racial prejudice wafting through this forum while we're at it.
Agreed, it is his decision and your option

Racial prejudice ? oh my gosh. It's called Knowing more about people. When I know 1000 Sub Cons want/need/expect something in a certain way, I see why you would suggest something that's totally outlandish to them.

Are you offended by my saying that Sub-Cons want the in-laws WITH THEM and not "NEAR THEM" ? Did you miss the part about the in-laws being needed for child care or for closeness with the family, and not for weekend visits ?

Gee, did you know that it is cheaper to fly to India and return, than park the in law in another country, and then figure out what kind of visa to get so they can be parked in another country, and then spend for their accommodation and also fret if they gonna be robbed or some misfortune don't befall them ? and FYI, Indians need to apply visa to Malaysia :p And run the gauntlet of Malaysian Immigration via JB/2nd link, holding an INDIAN Passport ?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 19 Oct 2015 2:26 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I tend agree with the majority here as I am also married to an Indian, and my daughter is also married to an Indian so you might say I've have a inside track to the way that they think (but would have had, in any case, after being on this board for over a decade. Certain traits are easy to spot
+1 :D :D

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Mon, 19 Oct 2015 2:53 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:By the way, are you from chi town, perchance?
I lived in Chicago for a period of time, yes.

Ecureilx, the word "awkward" has meaning. All options are likely second best to visa approval -- already well noted.

For the record, there is no evidence to date of Venka81's gender, national origin, ethnicity, income, wealth, or whether he/she has children or a spouse in Singapore. "Venka" happens to be a female first name in the Esperanto language, so Venka81's user name doesn't even provide any reliable clues. We only know from Venka81's posts that he/she has in-laws (parents of his/her spouse I think we can safely assume), is probably married (though still with the possibility his/her spouse is deceased since widows and widowers still frequently refer to their former spouse's parents as "in-laws" in common English usage), and those in-laws are (probably) residents of India and definitely require visas to visit Singapore (but may not be Indian). If you think you've figured out any more of Venka81's life story or situation, check his/her two posts again. I assumed a fact not yet in evidence (that Venka81 is a Singapore citizen or PR; he/she may not be) and very politely acknowledged that I had done so incorrectly. Reciprocal respect is merited and appreciated.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 19 Oct 2015 3:08 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:For the record, there is no evidence to date of Venka81's gender, national origin, ethnicity, income, wealth, or whether he/she has children or a spouse in Singapore. "Venka" happens to be a female first name in the Esperanto language, so Venka81's user name doesn't even provide any reliable clues.
I be damned, Venka - who's in laws are coming from India to have a Spanish connection, and need a Visa in advance.

As for his not being possibly PR/SC, well, let me put it this way, with no offense to anybody

Some nationalities, not just Sub-Cons, when they overseas, learn some stuff pretty fast- including how to do certain things - like getting visa etc. And their community spirit is pretty strong, and it is extremely unlikely for such new arrival to NOT know stuff like that, and also what's the Hawala rate today. No comment

Nuff from me !!!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 19 Oct 2015 3:30 pm

BBCWatcher, your street cred is disappearing rapidly. One should learn when to withdraw quietly. :-/
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 19 Oct 2015 3:37 pm

Hmmm:
- Venka is Indian, and 'as with all Indians' she wants her entire extended family to move to move to SG so they can live with her. But the SGn authorities won't entertain that unless she is $$$$.
- I never got that bit. Western expats tend to use expatting as a time to forge out on their own and by necessity this means at least temporarily parting ways from the family and social circle. Indians fight tooth and nail to bring the entirety of 'home' with them, as if it's some kind of right (above and beyond the suggestion that it's some kind of moral obligation).
- Do such family charabanc's not have jobs, friends, local activities etc such that being dumped in some foreign soulless ghetto across the border in JB would be preferable to simply being left in peace back home?

Pardon the stereotyping/bite me :wink: :lol:
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 19 Oct 2015 3:54 pm

JR8 wrote:- Do such family charabanc's not have jobs, friends, local activities etc such that being dumped in some foreign soulless ghetto across the border in JB would be preferable to simply being left in peace back home?
Apart from the fact my gut feeling says Venka is a male, other points are on the mark. Especially the above ;)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 19 Oct 2015 4:23 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:I find it "incredible" that I'm being criticized at all for presentation of an option on the basis that Venka81's in-laws are from India and all Indians act the same certain way in these circumstances.
It's a public forum. If one thinks the proposed options are of a questionable value why s/he should shut up and say nothing?*** More-over, such criticism may provide valuable perspective that otherwise could be missed.
BBCWatcher wrote:It's very simple. A bus ride from Singapore to Johor Bahru is a lot shorter and less expensive than a multi hour plane ride from Singapore to any point in India.
And accommodation will come for free I guess, so the tickets to JB from India and daily costs of JB-SG commuting? We are talking about 2 weeks, not a short meeting to see somebody's face. They unlikely need the later having seen their FiL only few months back.

***) yes, some opinions could be expressed less or more politely, but I am not an extremely polite person by myself so can not really criticize Mr Eu in that respect.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Mon, 19 Oct 2015 5:35 pm

x9200 wrote:And accommodation will come for free I guess....
We have zero information on Venka81's (or his/her in-laws') income, wealth, or how they value their time together or their travel time. However, we do know, with absolute unyielding certainty, that Johor Bahru is closer in both time and distance to Singapore than every geographic point in India is.

It's a possible option. Now that Venka81 knows about that option, let Venka81 decide for him/herself. Good grief.

Venka81: Some other posters' replies to this thread are clearly out of line and deplorable. You have every right to be offended, as I am. I'm sorry if you ended up reading through this bigotry.
Last edited by BBCWatcher on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 19 Oct 2015 5:39 pm

I'll say one thing, you've got grit. Your head's up a dark place for not being able to see the obvious, but I'm afraid you are only impressing yourself. We've been here a wee bit longer and know the various cultures probably a hell of a lot better. But I'm afraid you are just making yourself look rather silly now. Have at it. I reckon you cannot harm your cred any worse than you've already done. It's only Monday, not Friday.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 19 Oct 2015 5:41 pm

Oh, have you every been caught in a holiday traffic jam on the causeway to JB? You CAN fly to India faster.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Mon, 19 Oct 2015 5:48 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Oh, have you every been caught in a holiday traffic jam....
And all flights always operate on time, and there are no traffic jams to/from airports?

Let. Venka81. Decide.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 19 Oct 2015 5:54 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:
x9200 wrote:And accommodation will come for free I guess....
We have zero information on Venka81's (or his/her in-laws') income, wealth, or how they value their time together or their travel time. However, we do know, with absolute unyielding certainty, that Johor Bahru is closer in both time and distance to Singapore than every geographic point in India is.

It's a possible option. Now that Venka81 knows about that option, let Venka81 decide for him/herself. Good grief.
So if we know nothing how can you claim it as less expensive? Or you just wanted to say travelling to JB from SG is less expensive than from SG to India? That would be one revelation certainly worth to mention.

Humble suggestion: found yourself in a hole? Stop digging.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 19 Oct 2015 7:30 pm

X9200: I know enough Indians, who are not able to get their parents here on any pass.

Leaving their parents or in laws like exotic pets for weekend visit was never an option.

Once a month or so, they fly by Spice or Tiger or Air India Express back home and return

BBCWatcher, if only you know more about the posters here .. :)