Singapore Expats

Mirror: Singapore crowned best country for high pay and a happy life

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
noskich
Regular
Regular

Mirror: Singapore crowned best country for high pay and a happy life

Post by noskich » Thu, 15 Oct 2015 7:36 am

Singapore crowned best country for high pay and a happy life - how to get a job there

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/singapore ... gh-6463281

Singapore has flexible immigration rules - four in ten people living there are from abroad
There’s jobs in several industries including finance, construction and manufacturing
Two in three expats earn more than £125,000 a year

=D>

nakatago

Re: Mirror: Singapore crowned best country for high pay and a happy life

Post by nakatago » Thu, 15 Oct 2015 7:41 am

Their definition of expat is the classical "on high compensation package from a western country being assigned to the Far east." To be fair, the audience is most probably Anglo Saxon Brits.

My take is the author didn't do thorough research, is using stale information or the UK really has it bad.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 15 Oct 2015 9:55 am

noskich wrote:Singapore crowned best country for high pay and a happy life - how to get a job there

Singapore has flexible immigration rules - four in ten people living there are from abroad
There’s jobs in several industries including finance, construction and manufacturing

=D>
Must be a lot of folk shopping online then :D

Maybe two in 3 "expats" are on that amount , though I expect their definition of expat is quite narrow.

Also its the Daily Mirror , wouldn't wrap my fish and chips in it!!
Life is short, paddle harder!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 15 Oct 2015 11:05 am

Barnsley wrote: Maybe two in 3 "expats" are on that amount , though I expect their definition of expat is quite narrow.
Normally is the case.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 15 Oct 2015 3:35 pm

Er first up it's the Daily Mirror. Barnsley has it about right... and I wouldn't bother reading it if it was the last free newspaper on a long plane journey...
Perhaps those who aren't used to the UK tabloid press by default assume their stories are to some extent factually based. But every column-inch is pitched as entertainment perhaps rather than truth. The Sunday Sport took it to it's logical conclusion some years back with the front-page headline 'WW2 bomber found on moon', perhaps any joke was that was *not* intended to be taken as a joke... maybe... but who knows... hehe...

What's curious though is the socio-economic market for the Daily Mirror is perhaps the complete opposite of the kind of people educated/qualified or with the horizons to wish to expat at all. I read the article looking for some lame commercial tie-in, but it didn't seem to come...

All in therefore, a curious article to find in that paper.

Edit/add:
http://www.natwestinternational.com/nw/ ... m=qol_2015
http://www.natwestinternational.com/nw/ ... apore.ashx
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Thu, 15 Oct 2015 8:00 pm

noskich wrote:Singapore crowned best country for high pay and a happy life - how to get a job there

=D>
Someone leaked that from the 2003 archives
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Sat, 17 Oct 2015 4:55 pm

JR8 wrote: What's curious though is the socio-economic market for the Daily Mirror is perhaps the complete opposite of the kind of people educated/qualified or with the horizons to wish to expat at all. I read the article looking for some lame commercial tie-in, but it didn't seem to come...

All in therefore, a curious article to find in that paper.
It could be a Norman Tebbit type of thing........to get people either "on their bikes" or "the h3ll out of Dutch" somehow getting kids to qualify to such a level they might stand half a chance of doing something with their lives.

Either that or it's a complaint about the UK's current position.

Either that or it's trying to reaffirm that immigration isn't all that bad after all.

Either that or it's........okay, I don't care.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 17 Oct 2015 6:06 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:Either that or it's a complaint about the UK's current position.
Yep, that's it for me. Tales of a promised land that the majority of the readership can nor will ever get to, so they can exaggerate and lay it on as thick as they like and no one will know any better. Classic UK tabloid story.

--- Striking isn't it I recall years ago, maybe as long as 20 the bird-cage-liner running page+ long articles re: a black tourist from Chicago (and her mother, IIRC). Naturally the whole thing centred on their impression that everything was so perfect in SG, 'compared the living hell on earth back home'. Perhaps useful propaganda pieces of sorts. As an FT you could see the simplistic and typical day-1 impressions front and centre - BUT the locals probably wouldn't have seen it in that way. Plus it fitted the typical mould of letting foreigners criticise foreign countries, rather than SGns doing it directly themselves.

Then the UK tabloids do something of a reverse. They big-up how wonderful many other countries are, and hence how relatively dreadful it is back 'ome. ... Funny old world :)
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard