Singapore Expats

Rent Options with SGD $10k/Month Single Male Professional

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
baumresident

Rent Options with SGD $10k/Month Single Male Professional

Post by baumresident » Tue, 13 Oct 2015 4:13 am

Hello!

I am 25 and got an offer of ~SGD10k/month in Singapore.

The current office is near Marina Bay (Temasek boulevard, right off Promenade station), but I've been advised that we will be moving our office to Galaxis Building at One North in December (right by One North station).

Priorities:
- your budget – SGD $1500-$2000 (ideally)
- your workplace: Temasek Boulevard until December, then Galaxis @ One North
- the size and/or type of property that you are seeking: Studio or 1 BR would be best, but if out of range will be open to roommates
- will you have a car here? No car
- proximity to transport required: Ideally close to MRT, don't mind a little walking
- will you have any accompanying children needing to attend school? No
- will your employer being funding any fees; or will you, 'out of pocket'? Out of pocket

Nice to have:
- will you need to be able to say walk to the local shops, a library, your doctor, a market, and so on?
Preferably close to a supermarket.
- access to any specific sport, social, and recreation facilities? Not really.
- are you considering bringing any pets. If so what kind, and will they require outdoor access and/or exercise? No pets
- are you considering bringing any parents/in-laws etc? Do they have specific needs (for example difficulty climbing stairs?) No

Your current home and commute:
- are you already a city dweller? i.e. Are you used to city-centre hustle and bustle, or would you hope for a bit more peace and quiet? City dweller, no problem there, but open to either.
- what is the size and type (apartment, house+garden etc) of your current home? Currently live in a 2BR 2 bathroom apartment shared with a roommate, no garden, not sure exact size but fairly spacious.
- what are any current commute times like? Current 20-30 minute commute. Would not want to exceed this, and shorten if possible.

Does anyone have any advice they could offer on good places to live given the above considerations? I would like to live alone but understand if that is not feasible given property prices in Singapore currently.

Thanks and any help is appreciated!

Search By

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Rent Options with SGD $10k/Month Single Male Professional

Post by the lynx » Tue, 13 Oct 2015 9:07 am

baumresident wrote:Hello!

I am 25 and got an offer of ~SGD10k/month in Singapore.

Nice. This is considered as high-end salary in Singapore.

The current office is near Marina Bay (Temasek boulevard, right off Promenade station), but I've been advised that we will be moving our office to Galaxis Building at One North in December (right by One North station).

You have to confirm if this is final or not. Otherwise you will find yourself making unnecessary commute for the most part of your employment contract in Singapore. Promenade station and One-North station are on two ends of Circle Line. If it is definitely moving in December, then you may as well rent around One-North station, Buona Vista station, Holland Village station, Farrer Road station to minimise your commute.

Priorities:
- your budget – SGD $1500-$2000 (ideally)
- your workplace: Temasek Boulevard until December, then Galaxis @ One North
- the size and/or type of property that you are seeking: Studio or 1 BR would be best, but if out of range will be open to roommates
- will you have a car here? No car
- proximity to transport required: Ideally close to MRT, don't mind a little walking
- will you have any accompanying children needing to attend school? No
- will your employer being funding any fees; or will you, 'out of pocket'? Out of pocket

Your budget is waaaaaaaaaay too low to rent alone. Not even the cheap "public/council housing" they call HDB here. Either up your budget by few more hundreds, say SGD2400 and you can rent a two-bedder HDB by yourself near those stations I mentioned.

Or, you can stick to your budget and rent a room in a condominium unit instead. If you really treasure your privacy, you can rent a master bedroom with attached bathroom so that you only have the kitchen and hall to share with fellow room mates. condominiums come with the usual blings like security (gated residence with security guards), swimming pool and gym.

Or if you want to push your luck, rent a master bedroom in a HDB unit instead. You can get under SGD1500 for that. You can poke around the classifieds in this forum to have a feel.

Nice to have:
- will you need to be able to say walk to the local shops, a library, your doctor, a market, and so on?
Preferably close to a supermarket.
- access to any specific sport, social, and recreation facilities? Not really.
- are you considering bringing any pets. If so what kind, and will they require outdoor access and/or exercise? No pets
- are you considering bringing any parents/in-laws etc? Do they have specific needs (for example difficulty climbing stairs?) No

The areas I mentioned above have at least one supermarket within 5-10 minutes of walking distance. Extra point, Holland Village is an expat-friendly area with pubs and restaurants catered to expat flavour but they also have local establishments. And oh, yoga schools. One-North and BV have Fitness First gyms (in case you need one and you're renting a HDB).

Your current home and commute:
- are you already a city dweller? i.e. Are you used to city-centre hustle and bustle, or would you hope for a bit more peace and quiet? City dweller, no problem there, but open to either.
- what is the size and type (apartment, house+garden etc) of your current home? Currently live in a 2BR 2 bathroom apartment shared with a roommate, no garden, not sure exact size but fairly spacious.
- what are any current commute times like? Current 20-30 minute commute. Would not want to exceed this, and shorten if possible.

Does anyone have any advice they could offer on good places to live given the above considerations? I would like to live alone but understand if that is not feasible given property prices in Singapore currently.

Thanks and any help is appreciated!

baumresident

Post by baumresident » Wed, 14 Oct 2015 5:57 am

Thanks so much lynx!

Super helpful - I guess I'll probably look for a master as it seems affordable and can still get a pretty good level of privacy and comfort.

The office is also definitely moving, so I'll most likely look in Holland Village since from your description it sounds pretty nice :)

Thank you for all the help and recommendations!

stocking_cat

Post by stocking_cat » Sat, 17 Oct 2015 11:00 pm

Cheers,
Last edited by stocking_cat on Sat, 25 Mar 2017 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baumresident

Post by baumresident » Wed, 21 Oct 2015 2:46 am

Hey Stocking_Cat,

I might be interested in checking this out - I won't need to move in anywhere until 1/1/2016 as my company will put me up in corporate housing until then, but it looks like this could work out given your flat mate is moving out mid-December.

Maybe I can come by and check it out when I arrive?

Thanks!