Singapore Expats

taxi booking app for Android

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
x9200

taxi booking app for Android

Post by x9200 » Mon, 05 Oct 2015 11:26 am

Is there any application that can be used for the local taxi booking and the only access it may need is my location?

I am blessed. I don't need to use local cabs too often, but sometimes I have to. I had this comfort app in my Android phone and with a typical logic for this sort of application and only after I keyed in all the details for booking a cab it informed me I needed to get another app. Comfort Delgrado or something. In the process of getting it I learnt that it needed to have access to practically everything including my media files, phone, application (all) history, contact list etc. etc. Surely I will give it all to a local company.

briannabanks

Re: taxi booking app for Android

Post by briannabanks » Wed, 07 Oct 2015 4:51 pm

Might you try grabtaxi? Honestly never tried such apps, so can't really offer much advice.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 07 Oct 2015 5:09 pm

x9200 wrote:Is there any application that can be used for the local taxi booking and the only access it may need is my location?

I am blessed. I don't need to use local cabs too often, but sometimes I have to. I had this comfort app in my Android phone and with a typical logic for this sort of application and only after I keyed in all the details for booking a cab it informed me I needed to get another app. Comfort Delgrado or something. In the process of getting it I learnt that it needed to have access to practically everything including my media files, phone, application (all) history, contact list etc. etc. Surely I will give it all to a local company.
Based on what I can see from Comfort, Uber, Hailo, Easy Taxi and Grab Taxi:

1. Only Uber will access your contact list.
2. Uber, Comfort Delgro and Easy Taxi will access/use your phone call and SMS system.
3. Only Hailo will access/use your camera app and Bluetooth system.

Having said that all five apps can access/modify your SD card/memory, full mobile data/wifi access (duh), control vibration/sleep mode, GPS info (duh) and read your device state/identity. So can't really get away with that.

Conclusion, Grab Taxi is the least invasive.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 07 Oct 2015 5:21 pm

As far as I could see grabtaxi is only short of asking to access my phone. The rest of the sh*t is still there. Why people agree and want to use such invasive applications?

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Thu, 23 Jul 2020 6:05 pm

I use Grab app, and also Comfort app for important advance trips ie: airports.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)