Singapore Expats

Inspirations For Today

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
nakatago

Re: Inspirations For Today

Post by nakatago » Thu, 17 Sep 2015 7:43 am

"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 17 Sep 2015 8:25 am

Nak, if people and countries would just do that, the whole world would be a fantastic place. Sadly, greed is a much stronger emotion in most, than caring is.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 17 Sep 2015 8:44 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Nak, if people and countries would just do that, the whole world would be a fantastic place. Sadly, greed is a much stronger emotion in most, than caring is.
Growing up, I always seemed to receive the short end of the straw.

My brother would always get more because he's the eldest.

Then I had younger sisters. They got more because they were the youngest.

But whenever I pointed out that I'm getting a raw deal, my mom would always tell me, "You're all siblings; you should share all things equally."

And in my head, I'm like, "Wow, really?!" #-o

Some honesty would have been appreciated.

Aragorn2000
Regular
Regular

Post by Aragorn2000 » Thu, 17 Sep 2015 8:51 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Nak, if people and countries would just do that, the whole world would be a fantastic place. Sadly, greed is a much stronger emotion in most, than caring is.
Nope, we would be still living in the stone age. Greed is a necessary condition that pushes us forward.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 17 Sep 2015 10:05 am

Stone Age was good. I loved the Flintstones! LOL
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 17 Sep 2015 11:02 am

Aragorn2000 wrote:
Nope, we would be still living in the stone age. Greed is a necessary condition that pushes us forward.
Bullshit. Greed is at the root of what ails us in almost all respects in this world. Many, many things that have pushed us forward have nothing to do with greed, and everything to do with people who want to make a difference.

Greed is terrible.

Aragorn2000
Regular
Regular

Post by Aragorn2000 » Thu, 17 Sep 2015 11:27 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
Aragorn2000 wrote:
Bullshit. Greed is at the root of what ails us in almost all respects in this world. Many, many things that have pushed us forward have nothing to do with greed, and everything to do with people who want to make a difference.

Greed is terrible.
I believe "greed" has many forms. Remember Maslow's hierarchy of needs?

People who want to make a difference almost always have their more basic greed/needs satiated.

Greed => competition => progress :mrgreen:

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sun, 20 Sep 2015 11:41 pm

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 21 Sep 2015 1:01 am

Aragorn2000 wrote:I believe "greed" has many forms. Remember Maslow's hierarchy of needs?
People who want to make a difference almost always have their more basic greed/needs satiated.
Greed => competition => progress :mrgreen:
^+1 Aragorn
You can't have studied evolution and genetics etc and believe otherwise.

No one acts selflessly, they always get something back even if it at the basest level just feeling good about themselves.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Fri, 02 Oct 2015 1:52 am

Not ‘to have,’ but ‘to be,’ was his national motto.”
The native American Indians did not quite have the concept of land ownership.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2015/09/3 ... nto-a-man/

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 07 Oct 2015 3:39 am

Beau...........................tiful and life-giving.

https://www.facebook.com/TaoZen2012/pho ... =3&fref=nf
The animals had rights -- the right of man's protection, the right to live, the right to multiply, the right to freedom, and the right to man's indebtedness -- and in recognition of these rights the Lakota never enslaved an animal and spared all life that was not needed for food and clothing. For the animal and bird world there existed a brotherly feeling that kept the Lakota safe among them.
We had two pet parakeets, Mystery and Harmony. After Mystery died, decided not to get Harmony another mate. Putting living things in cage, for the amusement of my kids, was a decision I came to regret.

This summer when I ask my daughter if she would like to visit the zoo, she said "why would I want to pay money to see animals in cages?"

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 07 Oct 2015 7:13 am

I know a diver who doesn't want to go to aquariums. Then another guy said, "Yeah, because if you take him, he'll get a chair, smash it onto the aquarium wall shouting 'LET MY PEOPLE GO!'"

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 07 Oct 2015 8:02 am

earthfriendly wrote:Beau...........................tiful and life-giving.

https://www.facebook.com/TaoZen2012/pho ... =3&fref=nf
The animals had rights -- the right of man's protection, the right to live, the right to multiply, the right to freedom, and the right to man's indebtedness -- and in recognition of these rights the Lakota never enslaved an animal and spared all life that was not needed for food and clothing. For the animal and bird world there existed a brotherly feeling that kept the Lakota safe among them.
We had two pet parakeets, Mystery and Harmony. After Mystery died, decided not to get Harmony another mate. Putting living things in cage, for the amusement of my kids, was a decision I came to regret.

This summer when I ask my daughter if she would like to visit the zoo, she said "why would I want to pay money to see animals in cages?"
It's all about where you set the mark and it's highly individual. Amusement is a need as any other needs unless you want to bring everything down to basic food and survival, but you don't want to, do you? That's why I found this sort of comments rather naive and ... egoistic. They only sound wise because there are many people with their marks set in the extremes. They are to make you feel better doing something not really important but at the same time you would never go any further in what you try to promote. Ultimately you always have to sacrifice the animals and the reason for this as of your status quo of a person living in a civilized country is not really the survival, but rather than that you want to live a civilized life and maintain specific life style.

(I'm not attacking you, it's just a general consideration, it's about me, you everybody).

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 07 Oct 2015 8:25 am

I lol a little bit when my daughter made that remark. She is a bit of that defiant type. I see the value of having animal-human interaction. Not everyone is going to Africa or their natural habitat. Being able to experience the animals up close can bring a lot of joy for both humans and the animals. We have a dog. She will not do well with other dogs or animals. She is a people dog and bask in human company. Forcing her to be in the company of other dogs may even be considered cruelty. She was given up for adoption because she did not like her own puppy after giving birth and could not get along.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 07 Oct 2015 8:41 am

Yep, things like these too. Sometimes (often?) people try to make other people (and animals) happy because they judge the situation by their own subjective standards or preconditions. I don't think a captivity bred parakeet, if taken a proper care of, is unhappy comparing to the one in the jungle. It's like, everybody has its own Matrix.

But I was more referring to Lakota and the parakeet case, than to your daughter.