Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore Property Search

Tenancy Agreement not signed. Can we vacate with a 2 week notice?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
MetroResidences

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Tenancy Agreement not signed. Can we vacate with a 2 week notice?

Postby JR8 » Sun, 20 Sep 2015 10:31 pm

@X9 +^1, and I've been a LL and sold 2 properties with tenants still in them. I would never have wanted to be causing any tenant this amount of anguish. If as a LL you respect your tenants it tends to be returned in kind.

a) I tell the tenant what's happening. This includes pre-emptively reassuring him no changes in his tenure are expected. Tell him there is a channel of comms fully open if he now or later has concerns.
b) Tell him he can get updates and contact info from our (mutual) agent.
c) The agent handles everything (and luckily I trust the agent), and if there are any wrinkles they or the tenant comes back me.

I consider it making my own life simple, and respecting the tenant during a stressful time. And no, I'm not making out I'm some some kind of rare angel, this is what I'd expect any informed and sensible LL to do.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Sun, 20 Sep 2015 10:46 pm

3-4hrs?
If it's changing a washer, which is what it sounds like, it's max. half hour [IME].

Plumber comes with tools including a pipe-freezer and assorted generic washers. If there is a stop-cock on the supply the tap is simply isolated
(turned off via the stop-cock). If there's not he freezes the supply pipe, dismantles tap-head, inserts new washer, reassembles tap head. Gives it 10 minutes for the pipe to thaw if he freezed it, tests it's repaired and he's off.

If the tap had an isolation stop-cock it might be as little as a 5-minute job. Of course if the plumber gives an appointment window (say '2-5pm') then that time can get used waiting for him to arrive.

Of course there are plumbers that work on weekends, it's just that they tend to charge higher work rates. Maybe he's being kiasu.... but then again he doesn't own the unit any more right (Heh!?). Wouldn't it just be simpler for a plumber to have been booked for Monday early morning or late pm, so no need for a day off, just maybe your arriving at or leaving work an hour early/late.

The LLs smoke and mirrors continue it seems... [sigh]
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

davidppc

Postby davidppc » Sun, 04 Oct 2015 10:02 pm

Drub wrote:I know!! It's getting murkier by the day!! Yes the law firm is a registered one and the email sent has an attachment which is a scanned copy of a 1 pager document in the law firm's letter head. It mentions the new LL's name but no other info on him as we have been asking no IC copy Nor any contact details. They are just claiming to represent him and that they are confirming he holds the deposit. Also as you rightly said no other details are provided on it for us to make the payment of rent. Just a statement that we are to pay rent to them. I wish I could sue all of these people to harassment!! It's been 5-7 days of mental torture.

Our geyser has not been repaired till now. The LL refuses to send anyone on weekends. He expects us to take a day off and back saying it requires 3-4 hrs of work. Is It true that plumbers in Singapore work only on weekdays?

We are meeting a law firm tomo to get a formal legal opinion. We are also drawing up the contract for the new apartment. But this issue is always at the back of our mind! No mental peace!!

May I suggest that you get a plumber to come in on a day/time you are available to fix it and bill it to the old LL? It is not reasonable to expect you to take leave to get it fixed. There are 24/7 plumbers available (google for it) although they do charge a premium considering they are same-day services. Other plumbers do work on weekends too but they can be rather packed.

When I purchased a tenanted unit, before paying the 1% deposit, I interviewed the tenants to check if there were any:
1. verbal or informal agreements (not in TA) made between old LL and tenants
2. big purchase items/belongings that tenant owns (like TV and gaming consoles)
3. existing problems with the home that requires fixing

I also reassured them that I will honour the TA and informed that the security deposit will be transferred from the old LL to me the new LL and it will be transparent to them.