Singapore Expats

Windows 10 PC Free upgrade

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
x9200

Re: Windows 10 PC Free upgrade

Post by x9200 » Thu, 06 Aug 2015 12:49 pm

curiousgeorge wrote:In all fairness, there is nothing in there that isn't widespread across iOS and Google services. How can Siri/Google Now/Cortana tell you about restaurants nearby if they can't access your location?

At least the Wired article, and Microsoft, provide options that provide privacy if you prefer to lockdown your info.
The problem is, this is all within the default settings of the OS that was not known for this sort of features before. Fair enough if this was explicitly stated the way everybody could understand it (for example, at the installation stage) but this sort of transparency is just not there. Most of the users would just stay with the default setting and had no clue that their private data may be used, sent to MS and some 3rd parties. The approach with the free upgrade looks just like a bait and a convenient excuse for doing something rather questionable.

Lastly, the fact that some other companies are similarly or even more aggressive and abusive harvesting the personal data does not make MS any better.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 06 Aug 2015 12:54 pm

^^^^^^^

What's the difference between this and an iPhone?

Clivechia

Post by Clivechia » Fri, 07 Aug 2015 8:25 pm

Do Window 7 have free upgrade to window 10 as well?

wenber

Post by wenber » Sat, 08 Aug 2015 10:29 am

Can it work with Intel celeron?

KleenWayne70

Post by KleenWayne70 » Sat, 08 Aug 2015 10:49 am

Clivechia wrote:Do Window 7 have free upgrade to window 10 as well?
Ya.. I upgraded mine from Window 7 to Window 10 earlier on, and regret immediately when it keep on crashing! So I just reverted it back to Window 7. Not sure if it's because my computer is 6 years old.. haha..

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Tue, 11 Aug 2015 12:00 pm

Had the free upgrade since Friday and, well, okay...... was very easy, though I came up from Win8.

The Start button takes a bit of customization. Edge is so so, and I seem to have some issues with the Notification Centre saying there's something inside when there's not so there's a few things to sort out.

Edge appears a bit faster than IE11 but the Bookmarks/Favourites cannot stay pinned out (they can until you close Edge and when you reopen the "pin" is gone) and the intuitive organization of folders and names is completely the reverse of IE - had to reorganise everything manually.

Other than that, is good that Modern Apps now work inside a Windows environment and as more Apps become available through all W10 platforms it should work out better in the long run.

I've seen a steady growth in WinApps over the past few years after taking a very early step into WinPh with Nokia's Lumia phones. Hopefully with Win10 the growth can accelerate.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by menudown » Tue, 11 Aug 2015 4:05 pm

Clivechia wrote:Do Window 7 have free upgrade to window 10 as well?
the constant bugging and notifications to upgrade just made me did it from my Windows 7...initially was amazed by the skins and layout of the new Windows 10 but now I realized the system seems to be laggy and unresponsive :???:

Ng Wei Khang

Post by Ng Wei Khang » Thu, 01 Oct 2015 3:10 pm

Windows 10 made few updated regarding the issues experienced by Users and I do believe that these updates will surely improve user experience.
Apixel is founded in 2004 with one goal in mind - to deliver the highest quality IT support services to businesses in Singapore.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 01 Oct 2015 3:58 pm

Ng Wei Khang wrote:Windows 10 made few updated regarding the issues experienced by Users and I do believe that these updates will surely improve user experience.
Does it mean that all but the few got not updated? That's very bad.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 01 Oct 2015 4:24 pm

I'm still on Win7, and it does what I need... well, for the time being.
I'm hesitant to upgrade whilst they do the seemingly inevitable de-bugging of the early releases. Same way I held-out on WinXP for as long as I could.
I've just replaced the CPU fan/heatsink, and had to physically buy it abroad. Now my PC is no longer in danger of 'blowing up' at any moment I'll consider upgrading the OS.
Experience though suggests it is never simple. I'm sure there'll be issues with drivers and peripherals that are no longer supported. Before I even go that way I'll give it some time for MS to have something like an updated and 99.5% viable release.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Ng Wei Khang

Post by Ng Wei Khang » Thu, 01 Oct 2015 4:58 pm

x9200 wrote:
Ng Wei Khang wrote:Windows 10 made few updated regarding the issues experienced by Users and I do believe that these updates will surely improve user experience.
Does it mean that all but the few got not updated? That's very bad.
Only these issues are updated:

1. Windows Hello
2. SmartScreen
3. Windows Defender
4. Family features

Hopefully, these features really will make “ Windows 10 worth.”
Apixel is founded in 2004 with one goal in mind - to deliver the highest quality IT support services to businesses in Singapore.