Singapore Expats

US DOJ launches investigation of PM Najib

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

US DOJ launches investigation of PM Najib

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 23 Sep 2015 10:26 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/22/world ... quiry.html
The embattled prime minister of Malaysia, facing mounting political turmoil and a parade of inquiries at home and abroad into a sovereign wealth fund that he oversees, is now coming under the scrutiny of American investigators as well.

A federal grand jury is examining allegations of corruption involving the prime minister, Najib Razak, and people close to him, according to two people with knowledge of the investigation.

The inquiry, being run by a unit of the Justice Department that investigates international corruption, is focused on properties in the United States that were purchased in recent years by shell companies that belong to the prime minister’s stepson as well as other real estate connected to a close family friend, said the people knowledgeable about the case, who asked for anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss it. Investigators are also looking at a $681 million payment made to what is believed to be Mr. Najib’s personal bank account.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: US DOJ launches investigation of PM Najib

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 23 Sep 2015 10:28 am

These same guys are taking down FIFA, who is infinitely more powerful (and corrupt) than UMNO :)

I think 'shit just got real, yo'.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 23 Sep 2015 10:54 am

I reckon if you are going to steal, do it big... I think I could get along for a while with 681 million dollars.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 23 Sep 2015 12:51 pm

There is a lesson there, don't buy US assets with dirty money. Plenty of other places to park those funds without attracting regulator attention. Some very nearby. ;-)

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 23 Sep 2015 1:59 pm

Obviously an amateur? But I'm not surprised if Jho Low already set up shell companies in one of the Caribbean islands and siphoned off the money away from the Swiss and USA. Or can they still reach those accounts?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 23 Sep 2015 6:29 pm

The US has a huge stick Lynx. They'll get those countries to cooperate. They were able to get Switzerland to peel away a lot of their banking secrecy.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 24 Sep 2015 8:33 am

zzm9980 wrote:The US has a huge stick Lynx. They'll get those countries to cooperate. They were able to get Switzerland to peel away a lot of their banking secrecy.
Absolutely. As someone who has to go through FCPA training regularly the thing that always blows my mind is the reassurance from our instructors that the DOJ CAN AND WILL extradite none US Citizens to the USA for crimes committed overseas by none US citizens... basically they are the world police when it comes to corruption.

As others said - if you're going to go corrupt don't use the US banks or land money into the US system. Not only have those idiots Malaysians bought money into the US for land purchases but I bet most the money is touchable via US corresponding banks which allows the DOJ jurisdiction.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

calugaruvaxile
Chatter
Chatter

Post by calugaruvaxile » Fri, 25 Sep 2015 9:33 am

this is REALLY good news! thanks for the link

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 25 Sep 2015 10:20 am

PNGMK wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:The US has a huge stick Lynx. They'll get those countries to cooperate. They were able to get Switzerland to peel away a lot of their banking secrecy.
Absolutely. As someone who has to go through FCPA training regularly the thing that always blows my mind is the reassurance from our instructors that the DOJ CAN AND WILL extradite none US Citizens to the USA for crimes committed overseas by none US citizens... basically they are the world police when it comes to corruption.

As others said - if you're going to go corrupt don't use the US banks or land money into the US system. Not only have those idiots Malaysians bought money into the US for land purchases but I bet most the money is touchable via US corresponding banks which allows the DOJ jurisdiction.
Whether USA is that powerful or not, I'm happy that the higher hand has finally come down to that defiant piece of shame and his big spender wife, together with his dimwit cronies who know nothing except polarising fears using race and religion. The sooner they get rid of him/them, the less of peasants' money gets siphoned off in their panic coffers.