Singapore Expats

Relocating to Singapore with 3 Cats!!

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Tezi

Relocating to Singapore with 3 Cats!!

Post by Tezi » Tue, 22 Sep 2015 2:08 pm

We (2 adults) from Australia are planning on relocating to Singapore with 3 cats in Jan 2016. We are very concerned that we will struggle to find rental accommodation because of the cats. We would like a 2 or 3 bedroom unfurnished condo in D07 or D09 and have a budget of $5000-$6000.

Is this going to be a struggle? ](*,)

I have have asked many property agents via e-mail but they say it will not be a problem but in reading the forum it looks like that may not be the case.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Relocating to Singapore with 3 Cats!!

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 22 Sep 2015 2:44 pm

It will normally only be a problem with trying to rent an HDB Flat (which with your you flat is furnished or not as the owners might not like the cats marking their "zones" by pissing on the carpets and furniture.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 22 Sep 2015 4:04 pm

Having "domestic cat or dog" added to a TA has never been a problem so wouldn't have thought you will have any issues. And given the current state of the rental market, (sensible) landlords are unlikely to let cats get in the way of a lease.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 22 Sep 2015 4:18 pm

As long as the landlords are ok with cats, the property agents will surely say that it won't be a problem but like you would treat a car salesman in USA, always double-check on your agents' assurance that cats are allowed in the properties that you're interested! You don't want any rude shock, especially with all the stress from moving and spending money on rental deposits.

rarkins
Regular
Regular

Post by rarkins » Thu, 24 Sep 2015 7:55 pm

Also, be sure to take extensive photos of the condition of the apartment when you move in, and send a copy to the landlord or their agent for the record. Otherwise you risk having the landlord claim that every single mark in the entire apartment was due to the cats and not "fair wear and tear". And it could also help you to know if those cats really did make some marks and you can fix them before moving out!