Singapore Expats

Air pollution on the up?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 19 Sep 2014 9:31 pm

JR8 wrote:
movingtospore wrote: I still don't understand why Singapore doesn't get with the program on this. The numbers they track seem accurate enough but their index is out of whack. Bad advertising perhaps.
Schools are meant to shut, food-courts/hawker centres must all close if the temperature exceeds 35c (IIRC), of course the temperature has NEVER officially exceeded 34.99c

Ho hum.
years ago, like many many years ago, when the haze hit, Schools were shut

those days no N95, or so much preparedness anyway (though the anti govt guys say this govt is lousy, truth be told the current govt has dispatched N95 masks to all HDB households .. )

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 19 Sep 2014 9:50 pm

We have N95 masks at home. Think the wife was given them at her office.

I used one for an hour or two perhaps last year. Though it's not really a solution is it?

Rumpel

Post by Rumpel » Sat, 11 Oct 2014 7:26 pm

Has anybody here experience with air-purifiers (filters)? Are they worth their money?

Nihility
Regular
Regular

Post by Nihility » Sun, 19 Oct 2014 9:25 am

Rumpel wrote:Has anybody here experience with air-purifiers (filters)? Are they worth their money?
Yes, I have one. I use it in my bedroom as that's where I spend the most time as I sleep there.
Most air purifiers work to filter rooms, not homes, so place one or multiple ones in the rooms you spend most time in in. Make sure the windows are closed to prevent the filtered air from escaping. If you have a young child they are especially important on days such as today.
Keep in mind that the moment you leave your home you're exposed to the heavy pollutants so if you spend little time at home an air purifier may not be for you.

Blueair make the best air purifiers but are large, a touch noisy and run 24/7. I prefer ones that auto adjust according to the air quality in the room.

Another thing to check are the seals on the windows and doors of your home. It makes an enormous difference to ensure they are well fitted and work.

Hope this helps.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 19 Oct 2014 10:37 am

Nihility wrote:Blueair make the best air purifiers but are large, a touch noisy and run 24/7.
And this claim is based on what?

Nihility
Regular
Regular

Post by Nihility » Sun, 19 Oct 2014 12:04 pm

x9200 wrote:
Nihility wrote:Blueair make the best air purifiers but are large, a touch noisy and run 24/7.
And this claim is based on what?
Based on my opinion.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Air pollution on the up?

Post by JR8 » Sun, 25 Jan 2015 10:46 am

It seems pretty bad today, and per the graphic (trimmed to my zone, but also to leave in today's wind/direction) it seems to be coming from the north-east.

Anyone know what's burning and where, the NE is ocean, unless it's from Johore state.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 25 Jan 2015 6:55 pm

JR8 wrote:
Anyone know what's burning and where, the NE is ocean, unless it's from Johore state.
For future reference:

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wi ... ,2.64,3000
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Nihility
Regular
Regular

Post by Nihility » Tue, 22 Sep 2015 5:40 pm

Just coming here to moan about the air pollution :x

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Air pollution on the up?

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 22 Sep 2015 7:28 pm

Nihility wrote:Just coming here to moan about the air pollution :x
Between 130 and 280, depending on whom you believe.

Unhealthy, of course.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 23 Sep 2015 9:02 am

It is as if the haze held up just for the Grand Prix last weekend.

That reminds me of Beijing during Olympics. The government ordered all factories to close operations and banned motor vehicles up to a week before the games started. Those were the days when the air was the cleanest in many years. After Olympics, the air pollution rose probably about 10 times the regular level as factories rush to catch up on its government-sanctioned operations for weeks.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 23 Sep 2015 9:57 am

the lynx wrote:It is as if the haze held up just for the Grand Prix last weekend.

That reminds me of Beijing during Olympics. The government ordered all factories to close operations and banned motor vehicles up to a week before the games started. Those were the days when the air was the cleanest in many years. After Olympics, the air pollution rose probably about 10 times the regular level as factories rush to catch up on its government-sanctioned operations for weeks.
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/09/04/asia/ ... ry-parade/
"This photo shows two images of the view from CNN's Beijing Bureau, one of a blue sky day from a week before the military parade and one of a hazy sky the day after the parade."

simonjacob

Post by simonjacob » Thu, 24 Sep 2015 6:13 pm

It just went up to 260 today. Very unhealthy range.

LaoDan

Post by LaoDan » Thu, 24 Sep 2015 8:21 pm

*cough*
gave away my air-purifiers when I moved from shanghai over the summer.
I moved here because the pollution was getting too bad in China.. lol. guess I need to move to Idaho

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 24 Sep 2015 11:16 pm

Simonjacob, it crossed 300 a while ago
LaoDan wrote:*cough*
gave away my air-purifiers when I moved from shanghai over the summer.
I moved here because the pollution was getting too bad in China.. lol. guess I need to move to Idaho
Well, the Singapore haze thing is an annual thing, that goes away, and doesn't stay for the whole year

And though Singapore and Malaysia offered help, Singapore - Helicopters, and Malaysia, their rarely used water bombers, the Indonesians preferred 'cash' it seems ...