Singapore Expats

Quotes

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
goldingotgrist

Post by goldingotgrist » Wed, 08 Oct 2014 11:25 pm

When you think you have it bad, take a look around, there is always someone who has it worse than you. So laugh when you're happy and cry when you're sad. Don't get angry or get too mad, live one day at a time and be thankful for all that you have.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Quotes

Post by JR8 » Mon, 16 Mar 2015 2:27 pm

'A democracy is just two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner'.
[Unknown]

:lol:
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Mon, 16 Mar 2015 8:51 pm

JR8 wrote:'A democracy is just two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner'.
[Unknown]

:lol:
This has been attributed to Gary Strand (Usenet group sci.environment, 23 April 1990) and to James Bovard (Lost Rights: The Destruction of American Liberty, 1994, p. 333).

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Wed, 18 Mar 2015 8:28 am

"The only good bug is a dead bug."
General John Rico
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 22 Mar 2015 11:54 am

'Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy'.

The 'fortune' from the last fortune cookie I had.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 05 Apr 2015 1:30 pm

'I decided to start wearing a plastic dress, you never know when someone’s going to throw a glass of wine over you.'

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 07 Sep 2015 1:24 am

“If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it.”

― Mark Twain

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 07 Sep 2015 3:51 am

...'spontaneous demonstrations take a lot of organising...'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... untry.html

Peter Hitchens - (considered a Marxist thinker and polemicist, though that said he often floats a contrary view that makes a lot of sense). This is just one line from a thought-provoking article about the current economic migrants flooding western Europe. The above line reminded me of one of Jenny Holzer's 'Truisms' and gave me a chuckle.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Tue, 08 Sep 2015 1:12 pm

Great to see this thread revived. For I was searching for it but could not locate it.
For as we grow older, our senses become benumbed, our emotions more callous to suffering and injustice and cruelty, and our vision of life is warped by preoccupation with cold, trivial realities. Fortunately, we have poets and artists who have not lost that sharpened sensibility, that fine emotional response and that freshness of vision….. to hold up a mirror to our blunted vision, to tone up our withered nerves. Art should be a satire and a warning against our paralyzed emotions… It should restore to us health and sanity and enable us to recover from the delirium caused by too much mental activity……... Miserable indeed is a world in which we have knowledge without understanding, criticism without appreciation, beauty without love, truth without passion, righteousness without mercy, and courtesy without a warm heart.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 08 Sep 2015 3:14 pm

Ooh that's a good thought provoking one, I wonder who said it. Pondering which, I realise that sometimes the value/meaning/context of a quote can be materially altered depending upon who said it... hmm.

p.s. I also had a problem finding this topic, and searched for it a few time over a week or two. It seems you get no hits from searching on 'quote' or 'quotation', and so on. So I'll add some tags to make it a little easier [?].

[ Quotes quote quotations sayings quote of the day]

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Tue, 08 Sep 2015 4:33 pm

JR8 wrote:p.s. I also had a problem finding this topic, and searched for it a few time over a week or two. It seems you get no hits from searching on 'quote' or 'quotation', and so on. So I'll add some tags to make it a little easier [?].

[ Quotes quote quotations sayings quote of the day]
Had no problem finding your post with just "quotes" in the search box just above the "Notifications" and "Private messages" above.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 08 Sep 2015 5:01 pm

IIRC I thought the topic was titled 'Quote of the day', so very likely searched (as you suggest) on everything likely bar 'Quotes'.

I forget is the search function allows wildcard searches like 'quot*' [?] but no matter... you see how the difficulty arose, and apparently for EF too :)

Edit/update after Maneo's post below. Thanks, that's very useful to know :)
Last edited by JR8 on Fri, 11 Sep 2015 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Thu, 10 Sep 2015 2:23 am

Thank you for the search tips. I was using the field that required very specific search term. Quotes lifted from the book "The Importance Of Living" by Lin Yutang.

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Fri, 11 Sep 2015 4:33 pm

JR8 wrote:I forget is the search function allows wildcard searches like 'quot*' [?] but no matter... you see how the difficulty arose, and apparently for EF too :)
The search box just above "Notifications" and "Private messages" above does not need wildcards.

Just putting "quot" in the box and clicking on the magnifying glass resulted in finding 192,841 entries.
Using "quotes" reduces that to 601, with the 1st eight being from this discussion.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 21 Sep 2015 2:18 am

"The secret of all victory lies in the organization of the non-obvious."
Marcus Aurelius

and some others of his...
- "Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking.
- "You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.
- "Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.
- "He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
- "It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.
- "Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one.
- "Natural ability without education has more often raised a man to glory and virtue than education without natural ability.

Return to “Leisure Chat, Jokes, Rubbish”