Singapore Expats

General Election - Coming Soon - 11th September

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Re: General Election - Coming Soon - 11th September

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 16 Sep 2015 11:41 am

Actual Votes ........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elections_in_Singapore

The Workers Party number of votes actually went up.....

The NSP is the one that got smashed....
Life is short, paddle harder!!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 16 Sep 2015 12:40 pm

Barnsley wrote:Actual Votes ........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elections_in_Singapore

The Workers Party number of votes actually went up.....

The NSP is the one that got smashed....
NSP was scoring a lot of same side goals :)

And having Gilbert Goh on their team didn't help RP much as well I guess

Then again KJ also said some wonderful stuff, that helped scare the heck out of those fence sitters.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Thu, 17 Sep 2015 3:42 am

I am not too drawn into SG politics but for those asking for return of their CPF money, that is a scary scenario. If you look around, not just SG, many people actually do not have good sense of money management. And they do not have a healthy relationship with money.

"Most people in the working class has never held 100-200k in their hands before, what do you think would happen when they hold that amount of money?"

https://www.facebook.com/raymond2/posts ... 55?fref=nf

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by menudown » Thu, 17 Sep 2015 10:40 am

earthfriendly wrote: "Most people in the working class has never held 100-200k in their hands before, what do you think would happen when they hold that amount of money?"
there may be some cases of cheating or misappropriated spending but not all will squander their cash when they hold that amount of money

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 17 Sep 2015 11:05 am

You may well be correct, but there will be a large enough number of them that they will end up being either wards of the state or street bums. Do we need either? I think not. I reckon the Minimum sum is a start in the right direction, as is the reduction of the mortgage loan quantums. Too many still have too much tied up in their flats which are larger than what they really need and all tied to the Minimum Sum which will entail downsizing in a future market that may well collapse at some unknown point as the HDB now has a glut of open units on the market with no buyers. If historical evidence is anything to go by, looking at the anectdotal evidence from the years when they could withdraw at 55, 50% of the CPF, a huge percentage blew it on cars, vacations and the stock market. Add to that the Ah Peks getting their money and losing it to gold digging foreign females seeing easy touches.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: General Election - Coming Soon - 11th September

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 17 Sep 2015 11:41 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If historical evidence is anything to go by, looking at the anectdotal evidence from the years when they could withdraw at 55, 50% of the CPF, a huge percentage blew it on cars, vacations and the stock market. Add to that the Ah Peks getting their money and losing it to gold digging foreign females seeing easy touches.
The Lehman brothers sub prime crash, and the number of retirees who lost 100k and above comes to mind ... having been given the Cpf movies and promptly taken advantage by financial advisors who taunted the gullible with high returns

And then crying foul, and what's forgotten is, Singapore Inc did partially bail of banks with exposure, so the retirees get partial returns, vs nothing

Almost every bank, including small foreign banks operating in Singapore were exposed.

And the then regular stories of girls having successfully scammed ah peks, upwards of 50k ... including one guy who got scammed by a married PRC, and the story didn't end nicely.

triste
Regular
Regular

Post by triste » Fri, 18 Sep 2015 1:31 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: gold digging foreign female
I SO wish I had made this my user name.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 18 Sep 2015 1:34 pm

triste wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote: gold digging foreign female
I SO wish I had made this my user name.
Why not? It is your username after all, you can do whatever you want to it. :twisted: :mrgreen: :lol:

Kidding. I wouldn't do it myself.

TMD
Chatter
Chatter

Re: RE: Re: General Election - Coming Soon - 11th September

Post by TMD » Fri, 18 Sep 2015 8:50 pm

Well well...it seems McCarthyism is still alive and well in this day and age.

Considering that you have withdrawn every cents from your CPF account after making some handsome profit from Singapore, I guess you now have the liberty to start poking holes at system that you were once part of.
calugaruvaxile wrote:
TMD wrote:
You know, your very first sentence prove exactly what I had already alluded to about that "them vs us" attitude. History has shown it doesn't lead any society or country to any good for the longer term.

Perhaps, it is with the hindsight of 2011 GE and last decade, the incumbent government is sitting up and paying more attention to the voters. What I gathered so far is the PAP is indeed responding.

Mr Tharman, the finance minister, himself was quoted: "A successful economy by itself will not give us an inclusive and fair society." Now this may sound like a election talk, but at least it seems he and his comrades understand both Singaporean and the nature of today's world.
dude, you sound like an aparatchik from my youth. and you really don't understand. this is not about "us". believe it or not, i got out of sg with 100% of my cpf. you (if you're a local) won't. think about it.

what tharman said is that in his model of an economy, you're screwed. and you vote for him. you're so clever! and how does this quote that your beloved understands the world? you're just a propagandleiter.

still, you elude the main problem: singapore does not make its own money. it just take a cut of the business made on its territory. if you can't read this, let me know. i'll write it in larger, red and bold fonts. this means, you're as good as a hotel. good rates, friendly staff, nice amenities, i'll stay. any of the contrary, i won't. in the 80s to 2ks, sg attracted business like this. it had low rates, good amenities and friendly staff. a very good deal, compared to its neighbors. nowadays it's amenities are not really great (transportation sucks, believe me), the rates are high, and the staff is lazy, nosy and pricey. that's why companies flee, that's why your govt is spending billions in incentives (but it's not telling you).

your govt is promising you one thing, while promising the companies exactly the opposite. that's why the whole construction is falling apart. and you really think you know how the world works. HA HA HA. you don't even understand your town.

in any ways, i'm glad you used the right word to describe the pap: "the comrades". here we agree: you live in a communist country and you work a state-planned economy.

calugaruvaxile
Chatter
Chatter

Post by calugaruvaxile » Fri, 18 Sep 2015 10:56 pm

tmd, correction! i tricked the system which was trying to steal MY money! something that you can't do. you're condemned to have your money stolen.

speaking about liberty: i have the liberty of exposing anything i don't like, about any government in this world - or any situation on the globe (like the eu refugee crisis) as long as i don't incite to violence, rebellion or anything dangerous to any individual and/or to society. sadly, this is a concept that a true-blue singaporean cannot grasp.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 19 Sep 2015 5:50 am

calugaruvaxile wrote:speaking about liberty: i have the liberty of exposing anything i don't like, about any government in this world - or any situation on the globe (like the eu refugee crisis) as long as i don't incite to violence, rebellion or anything dangerous to any individual and/or to society. sadly, this is a concept that a true-blue singaporean cannot grasp.
I like the underlined part. I guess this is exactly what SG gov says (and any other gov) if it comes to justifying some less popular actions.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 19 Sep 2015 9:45 am

calugaruvaxile wrote:tmd, correction! i tricked the system which was trying to steal MY money! something that you can't do. you're condemned to have your money stolen.

speaking about liberty: i have the liberty of exposing anything i don't like, about any government in this world - or any situation on the globe (like the eu refugee crisis) as long as i don't incite to violence, rebellion or anything dangerous to any individual and/or to society. sadly, this is a concept that a true-blue singaporean cannot grasp.
You certainly know how to give some of us a laugh. You tricked the system? What you did was not a trick. Every person who ever got PR knows that you can get it all back when you give up PR. As well, every Singaporean who immigrates (if they feel the need to do so) can also do what you have done after they give up their SC. Not a problem. But the way I see it, it sounds like you jumped out of the pot and into the fire. You gave up Singapore PR to go to Houston or Dallas where you have to pay US SS taxes? Not counting the IRS. Fat chance of getting back all those SS taxes. Sounds like you were the one who was tricked.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 19 Sep 2015 10:40 am

Is it true calugaruvaxile, you gave up your PR, withdrew your CPF and this was the tricking of the system? Ehem. I didn't get this tricking part when I read your post and was too lazy to check the whole thread.
How the system tried to steal your money?

calugaruvaxile
Chatter
Chatter

Post by calugaruvaxile » Sun, 20 Sep 2015 11:15 pm

x9200 wrote:Is it true calugaruvaxile, you gave up your PR, withdrew your CPF and this was the tricking of the system? Ehem. I didn't get this tricking part when I read your post and was too lazy to check the whole thread.
How the system tried to steal your money?
try to stay in sg till you die and you'll find out

calugaruvaxile
Chatter
Chatter

Post by calugaruvaxile » Sun, 20 Sep 2015 11:17 pm

x9200 wrote: I like the underlined part. I guess this is exactly what SG gov says (and any other gov) if it comes to justifying some less popular actions.
with 70% approval rate, i believe all the actions of the sg gov't are very popular!