Singapore Expats

Has anyone ever tried having housesitters?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
jellosingapore

Has anyone ever tried having housesitters?

Post by jellosingapore » Wed, 16 Sep 2015 9:57 pm

Hello!

I will be going on holiday for a month and am wondering I anyone has ever tried having housesitters? I don't have to pay and the dog and home get looked after while I'm away? I just wanted other people thoughts please.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Has anyone ever tried having housesitters?

Post by JR8 » Wed, 16 Sep 2015 10:36 pm

Who is paying them, or what (legal) benefit are they getting? I.e. to do such a job they have to have legal residency in SG.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

jellosingapore

Post by jellosingapore » Thu, 17 Sep 2015 12:00 am

Noone pays. That's why its so interesting. We don't have to pay for kennels and we get our house maintained and they get free accommodation. They seem to be people that like to travel and visit places. This gives them a free base. Has anyone tried it before?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 17 Sep 2015 6:58 am

Have you looked at some of the house sitting websites? I've seen listings for Singapore before... from HDB to landed properties.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 17 Sep 2015 8:53 am

Of course, as with all other types of arrangements, this one has its own shares of nightmares. Whatever you do, make sure you can be absolutely sure that this person means no trouble, or else you will end up being homeless when you're back from your holidays.

And yes, I have tried house-sitting. I give my keys to nice neighbour (a family) whom I have developed good relationship with, and they will help water plants and make sure there is no mould or any forgotten appliance left running. I expect to do them the same favour (and feed/walk their dog) when the family goes on holidays.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 17 Sep 2015 10:55 am

OP how do you find these people? Are they just visitors to Sg wanting free accommodation or locals who like to live in different places?

jellosingapore

Post by jellosingapore » Thu, 17 Sep 2015 11:08 am

Thanks for all of your feedback!

That's great that you have such a good relationship with your neighbour! Unfortunately, I don't know anyone that would be able to do that for me for a month...I also wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my dog by itself all day. So I am interested in housesitting, I just don't know much about it or anyone that has tried it.

I have tried to look at the housesitting websites, but does anyone know what the best one is for Singapore? Also what do you think I should I be asking the housesitters?

jellosingapore

Post by jellosingapore » Thu, 17 Sep 2015 2:25 pm

I think it can be either - people already living in the country, or people that are just visiting, but I suppose that depends on the website - Im not sure which is better.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 17 Sep 2015 3:08 pm

Another option would be a house swap. You swap with someone wanting to holiday in Sg. They stay at your place and you at theirs. Or perhaps they just stay at yours and you holiday wherever you are going. Similar to housesitting but you get tourists instead and it doesn't cost you anything (I guess).

Can't recommend anything, just watched a documentary on this years ago. Actually I think it was pre-internet so did a quick search to see whether it still exists. It does.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_exchange

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 17 Sep 2015 5:29 pm

I'd prefer a home-exchange. The members have profiles and earn ratings/reviews. At least you have some idea of who you are dealing with.

I don't think I'd want a house-sitter taking care of my home, unless they came with a similar profile and channel of recourse if they burned the place down etc.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 18 Sep 2015 10:56 am

I normally bribe a maid upstairs to feed and clean after our cat.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

jellosingapore

Post by jellosingapore » Fri, 18 Sep 2015 4:21 pm

Thanks for all of your replies!
I'm not really a fan of the house swap idea really - I normally have friends/family to visit and stay with so it doesnt really suit. I think the housesitters have reviews too though, so maybe that would make me feel better about whoever they were. I'm not sure what else I would want to know from them.

I would have liked to have spoken to someone that has tried housesitting before to know how it works and if it works well! I like to give people the benefit of the doubt though - I would just like to know a bit about the person first I think. Not sure what though exactly!

Would any of you consider using housesitters?

jellosingapore

Post by jellosingapore » Fri, 25 Sep 2015 10:19 am

Sorry, I was just wondering if anyone could help me out with how to find reliable housesitters! Best questions to ask, best website to use! Please help! I want to find someone trustworthy!!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 25 Sep 2015 10:34 am

Mate, I cannot make a direct recommendation. Google "house sitters" and at least half a dozen show up.

Most all of them have fairly detailed descriptions of people who want to house sit. Older couples, people with pets, and experienced sitters are your best bet.

You rolls the dice and you takes your chances. What the hell else do you want to know? A personal recommendation for a house sitter?

I'd sit your house but for only a month, you'd need to pay my airfare.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 25 Sep 2015 11:08 am

Strong Eagle wrote:Mate, I cannot make a direct recommendation. Google "house sitters" and at least half a dozen show up.

Most all of them have fairly detailed descriptions of people who want to house sit. Older couples, people with pets, and experienced sitters are your best bet.

You rolls the dice and you takes your chances. What the hell else do you want to know? A personal recommendation for a house sitter?

I'd sit your house but for only a month, you'd need to pay my airfare.
SE, tell us when this is really happening :mrgreen: