Singapore Expats

Freshly qualified foreign lawyer trying to get into Singapore Bar

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
valerielee1990

Freshly qualified foreign lawyer trying to get into Singapore Bar

Post by valerielee1990 » Wed, 16 Sep 2015 5:35 pm

Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you would be able to help- it is something related to the Singapore bar. I have a Malaysian friend who is currently working as a trainee solicitor in HK. He will be qualified by the end of next year and is looking to relocate to SG permanently.

Here come the questions:

1. As he is a Malaysian he would have to obtain an exemption from the Ministry of Law before taking the Part A exams. Has anyone heard of any Malaysians successfully getting the exemption?

2. According to my friend, he seems to have met the requirements (on paper) to apply for exemptions from taking the Part B bar course and practice training- HK is a common law jurisdiction and his training in HK takes 2 years. Has anyone heard to any similar successful cases- ie freshly qualified lawyer in a common law jurisdiction getting the exemptions?

3. My friend is currently looking for a training contract as he might not be able to get the exemptions from taking the Part B bar course and the practice training. Question is whether he should apply for the exemption for Part A first or training contract first? It is rather circular- with a training contract the chance of getting an exemption is much higher but without an exemption will the law firms even consider his application?

Any help would be much appreciated! My friend and I have tried to search online, but could not find anything. Totally clueless :(

bgd
Manager
Manager

Re: Freshly qualified foreign lawyer trying to get into Singapore Bar

Post by bgd » Wed, 16 Sep 2015 5:58 pm

Can't answer any of your questions but based on the article below he may not have an easy ride.

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/sp ... awyer-glut