Singapore Expats

Asus laptops

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Re: Asus laptops

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 27 Aug 2015 11:29 am

:roll:
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Arelin

Post by Arelin » Mon, 31 Aug 2015 9:50 am

If I had to buy a new laptop then I would choose a samsung or another ASUS but not ACER. I don't trust this brand since I got a few problems with some of their products...

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 31 Aug 2015 11:19 am

what are those problems?
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Wed, 09 Sep 2015 9:07 pm

Interesting timing for this thread - I just bought the wife a localized HP due to the price and the language keyboard, was the equivalent of ~SGD $500, simple and seemingly well built, time will tell.

Then, my 7+ year old laptop hinge cracked, eerily after SE's post on this very thing. So now I need to buy 2 in the same 1-2 month period, which will hurt a bit. If it weren't for the spyware I'd get a Lenovo as I really like their build, saw some Asus models at Champion that looked pretty good.

Anyway I've just started checking and no decisions yet, open to suggestions. Unlike for the wife won't go for the bottom of the line but also not looking to spend $1.8 - 2k either.

What is the latest on the Lenovo thing - they were hit hard in the press and no longer at the top of the lists - are they coming lean and are they now 'safe'?
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 10 Sep 2015 12:26 am

If you are going to look at Lenovo, make sure it has HDMI. Lenovo decided to go with DisplayPort which means you'd need an adapter to most monitors or TV's. Lenovo sales guy told me real 'business' PC's don't have HDMI... I told him what crap that was as most business offices have HDMI TV set's hanging on the wall.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 10 Sep 2015 6:32 am

Brah wrote:What is the latest on the Lenovo thing - they were hit hard in the press and no longer at the top of the lists - are they coming lean and are they now 'safe'?
Strong Eagle wrote:If you are going to look at Lenovo, make sure it has HDMI. Lenovo decided to go with DisplayPort which means you'd need an adapter to most monitors or TV's. Lenovo sales guy told me real 'business' PC's don't have HDMI... I told him what crap that was as most business offices have HDMI TV set's hanging on the wall.
No new news on Lenovo's software shenanigans though lately, it sounds likes they're having business problems as a whole...

Yeah, I call BS on the display port thing. Finding working adapters that cost a bomb for those things is a pain.

And what's with 15" laptops with i5-i7 CPU and NVidia GPUs only having 1366x768 display resolution?!?!?! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 12 Sep 2015 2:07 pm

Avoid Lenovo Brah. I know how you feel about Facebook and companies that track you... Lenovo was outright deceitful in what they were doing to their customers, borderline illegal (and outright illegal in some countries). Chat me up in PM or FB and I can tell you more about it if you like.

As for who to purchase now (besides Apple?) I'm not sure. I've heard good things about the Dell XPS13 ever since Dell went private again.

NorrinRadd
Regular
Regular

Post by NorrinRadd » Tue, 15 Sep 2015 9:27 pm

Thanks for all the info.