Singapore Expats

Contemplating PR application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
lilmissmommy

Contemplating PR application

Post by lilmissmommy » Tue, 15 Sep 2015 3:26 pm

Hi everyone,

Newbie here. My hubby and I have been in Singapore for 2+ years, and are now contemplating whether to apply for PR. It's a big decision that we want to take seriously, and so we want to think about the pros and cons.

The biggest concern that hubs has is that if we are granted PR, and further down the road, decide to revoke it for one reason or another, would this impact our kids' future application for a Student Pass or an EP? Worthy to share that our 2 kids are both boys, so in case we decide to move back to our home town, they will not go through NS. But do note that we are not really intending for them escape NS - though it seems it may appear to be the case.

Some background about us:
Citizenship: Filipino
Race: Chinese
Highest Education: masters degree (him), bachelor's degree (me)
Profession: banking (him) and marketing (me)
Salary: 11,000 pm (him), 8,000 pm (me)

Would appreciate your views on this. Do you also think our chances to get approved are strong?

Many thanks!

bgd
Manager
Manager

Re: Contemplating PR application

Post by bgd » Tue, 15 Sep 2015 4:08 pm

I reckon you tick most boxes if you apply as a family, apart from race and time in Sg. I think 3 tax years is recommended. Race, Chinese from the Philipines isn't a mix I've seen mentioned too often here so who knows.

The obvious question is if you are already thinking about leaving at some point in the future, why are you considering PR?

Regardless you need to be very clear about the NS commitment you are making on behalf of your sons. Read Strictly Speaking (on here) to see the mess that some have ended up in due to their parents not taking that commitment seriously.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 15 Sep 2015 4:11 pm

As long as you're committed to make your boys serve NS when they are ripe in age, go ahead and apply.

lilmissmommy

Post by lilmissmommy » Tue, 15 Sep 2015 4:17 pm

Thanks for your messages.

We still have family back home, and we come from a culture where families are tightly-knit. Singapore is also a very expensive city to retire in, so going back when we're old and gray (so not anytime soon!) is definitely an option.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 15 Sep 2015 4:33 pm

lilmissmommy wrote:Thanks for your messages.

We still have family back home, and we come from a culture where families are tightly-knit. Singapore is also a very expensive city to retire in, so going back when we're old and gray (so not anytime soon!) is definitely an option.
Still it doesn't discount the fact that your PR status as a family would mean that your boys will have to serve NS, whether you have moved out of Singapore by the time they are old enough for it, or later.

And excluding sons from PR application as family is an act viewed grimly by ICA. And renouncing PR before the sons' right age is a move too familiar with CMPB. Both would have different consequences to PR application or future PR/work pass applications for parents and especially the sons.

Think carefully before you apply. Your chances might be above average so may as well give this a very good thought. You can check out other threads in this forum about this topic from various parties - from good/bad parents to angry/realistic sons.