Singapore Expats

EP approval chances

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
mb25

Re: EP approval chances

Post by mb25 » Tue, 30 Jun 2015 5:25 pm

Hi All,

Another quick question re EP application. I filed mine nearly 3 weeks ago and I'm yet to get a decision, whereas my girlfriend's got approved in a matter of days.

Could this be down to the fact that we work in different industries? Me - Financial Services, her - teaching. From what I've read, the MOM tend to be quite quick at coming to a decision, ranging from a couple of days to two weeks.
Any info, or past experiences would be appreciated.

Cheers, MB25

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 30 Jun 2015 8:00 pm

That one is easy. Teaching is a job that Singapore finds hard to fill as there isn't much money in it. It's always been more of a calling, like the convent. Therefore Singaporeans don't really relish the profession as there isn't really any money in it.

However, in the financial sector is where all want to go and it's also one of two industries that have been abused by "Foreign Talent". The other industry being IT. Therefore you really have to have a niche position or there will be umpteen dozen local with your qualifications willing to do the job, probably for less starting salary than you are demanding.

MOM generally moves at her own rate of speed, without giving up too much to go on. You can wait it out or go to Changi and catch a plane home if the country doesn't move fast enough for you or you don't have the patience. You need a LOT of patience here.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

mb25

Post by mb25 » Wed, 01 Jul 2015 8:05 pm

Great, thanks for the info.
Just this second had my approval through, so it's officially a goer! :-)

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 01 Jul 2015 8:36 pm

3 weeks is long. My guess is your employer goof'd up somewhere in the process especially the part where the job is posted on the Jobsbank. Looks like they were asked to re post it or something.

rinkud84

Post by rinkud84 » Thu, 10 Sep 2015 8:17 pm

Hi,

My employer had to repost. The wait period ends on23rd September. They will reapply my EP post that.