Singapore Expats

Anybody know how to improve my spoken english

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
CherieZ

Anybody know how to improve my spoken english

Post by CherieZ » Tue, 08 Sep 2015 11:13 pm

:( Girl, just come to SG.Can read and write, but poor spoken english, any advice for me ? thx :D

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Anybody know how to improve my spoken english

Post by JR8 » Wed, 09 Sep 2015 12:34 am

Spoken as in writing it intelligently, or spoken as in speaking it in an accent that can be understood?

If the former, you could hang out here and participate in helping others with their questions. But you'd have to accept that there are English speakers here from many countries, so you'd experience a globally blended English, neither 'Queen's English', genuine American (?), genuine Aussie (?), Canadian (?), and so on.
But an internationalised version of English has a broad core, and is intelligible c98% where ever it is spoken, unlike some languages which change every 50 miles they are used (example: Norwegian).

If you are considering what comes 2nd, working on pronunciation and accent... I'd imagine listening to the BBC World Service. Many people do so for precisely this reason. And their delivery is intentionally sedate (slow) and clear. IMO the broadcasters themselves speak in generally the simplest to understand regional variations of English, to appeal to the broadest audience, so you wouldn't be additionally challenged by distracting regional accents.

p.s. My sister learned Norwegian whilst working as a nanny in Norway, an *extremely* challenging language (the words are simple, the grammar a little tricky, but the accent is one of the hardest to master I have ever encountered). She began by watching the local news in Norwegian each day, plus having 'talk radio' on during the day when she had time. That was on top of some daily vocabulary self-teaching in her own time. All in though, no huge amount of 'work'. It amazed me how well those simple steps worked for her.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 09 Sep 2015 12:37 pm

Get yourself an English speaking boyfriend, or hang out with English speaking expats. Whatever you do, don't learn from the locals. ;-)

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 09 Sep 2015 12:58 pm

Watch mind your language the tv show from the 70s
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 09 Sep 2015 1:11 pm

bgd wrote:Get yourself an English speaking boyfriend, or hang out with English speaking expats. Whatever you do, don't learn from the locals. ;-)
Cheeky bugger!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 09 Sep 2015 2:51 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:Watch mind your language the tv show from the 70s
Good grief, talk about a blast from the past! IIRC that was the sitcom based in an 'English for foreigners' classroom. All the humour hinged on variations in the various national cultures etc, i.e. playing on stereotypes. It probably coincided with the dawn of mass air-travel and globalisation, so 'cross-cultural' was a totally novel thing for the masses and a ripe target for humour.

------------> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_Your_Language
'Production
The Series was commissioned by Michael Grade, LWT Director of Programmes in 1977.[1] Although the series was attracting some 18 million viewers, the programme was cancelled in 1981 by Grade, who considered the stereotyping offensive.[2]
The series was sold to other countries, including Pakistan, Australia, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, India, Malaysia, Kenya, Nigeria, Ghana and Singapore. It was also one of the first British TV programmes shown in South Africa after the end of the boycott by the British Actors' Equity Association. It was resurrected briefly for the export market by an independent producer in the mid-1980s, though most ITV companies did not show any of the episodes made in 1986, only Anglia, Central and Granada transmitted the final 13 episodes, while Border, HTV and Tyne Tees broadcast a handful of episodes.
Various international television shows based on the premise of Mind Your Language have followed the original series. Among them are What a Country! (US), Zabaan Sambhalke (India and Pakistan), Second Chance! (Nigeria), Jami'ar Albarkawa (In Hausa language, Nigeria), Raja Kaduwa! (Sri Lanka) and Classmates (Kenya).

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 09 Sep 2015 4:41 pm

It was broadcast here almost as much as Mr. Bean was back in the day.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 09 Sep 2015 7:55 pm

Well I never. If it featured a SGn character, warts and all, it would have been hilarious [just imagine the fun you could have scripting that! :-D]... but then again it would be deemed as foreign criticism and so would have never made it to broadcast...

Teacher: Today we are talking about keeping a change jar at home. What is yours like, and how much do you typically save a month?
Cornelius Ng: Ehh we Singaporean stor coin in ear lah
Ranjit Patel: What you on Con lol, I thought drugs were illegal in Singapore?
Mohammed Iskandar: Leave him be, he used to be a taxi driver. It is an old habit of theirs, a local cultural peculiarity, we should celebrate the ingenuity and practicality of all Malayans.
Anastasia Thyssen-Bornemisa-Thorstrup: It is beautiful, I shall start doing the same. If it is Chinese it must be ancient, noble, auspicious and have health benefits. [reaching for purse].
Pedro Sanchez: [muttering un-subtly under breath] Mebbe also try a candle up your fanny, that eez Chinese too lol.
A T-B-T: I'm sorry what did you say, I can't hear you?
... ...

CherieZ

Post by CherieZ » Wed, 09 Sep 2015 10:23 pm

JR8 wrote:Spoken as in writing it intelligently, or spoken as in speaking it in an accent that can be understood?

If the former, you could hang out here and participate in helping others with their questions. But you'd have to accept that there are English speakers here from many countries, so you'd experience a globally blended English, neither 'Queen's English', genuine American (?), genuine Aussie (?), Canadian (?), and so on.
But an internationalised version of English has a broad core, and is intelligible c98% where ever it is spoken, unlike some languages which change every 50 miles they are used (example: Norwegian).

If you are considering what comes 2nd, working on pronunciation and accent... I'd imagine listening to the BBC World Service. Many people do so for precisely this reason. And their delivery is intentionally sedate (slow) and clear. IMO the broadcasters themselves speak in generally the simplest to understand regional variations of English, to appeal to the broadest audience, so you wouldn't be additionally challenged by distracting regional accents.

p.s. My sister learned Norwegian whilst working as a nanny in Norway, an *extremely* challenging language (the words are simple, the grammar a little tricky, but the accent is one of the hardest to master I have ever encountered). She began by watching the local news in Norwegian each day, plus having 'talk radio' on during the day when she had time. That was on top of some daily vocabulary self-teaching in her own time. All in though, no huge amount of 'work'. It amazed me how well those simple steps worked for her.
Thanks a lot. I wonder is it work on spoken english just by listening radio? :???: And usually I listen to english radio during work time. I can understand what they talking about, but still don't know indian english. Recently, my colleagues and me plan to join an english course. Do you have any ideas about it?

CherieZ

Post by CherieZ » Wed, 09 Sep 2015 10:26 pm

bgd wrote:Get yourself an English speaking boyfriend, or hang out with English speaking expats. Whatever you do, don't learn from the locals. ;-)
Me,too.And do you have any ideas to find a boyfriend without talking?

CherieZ

Post by CherieZ » Wed, 09 Sep 2015 10:27 pm

Sorry that I can't watch tv :(

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 09 Sep 2015 10:54 pm

My sister didn't learn norwegian just by listening to the radio, I mentioned the other elements that were involved, not least being in Norway, and interacting with Norwegians etc. But she was very clear at the time that she found it very useful in picking up new words, and for helping her progress from a 'textbook language' version into that that is spoken every day.

You can download BBC-WS programmes as podcasts and put them on your PC, MP3, phone etc. Perhaps you could download the days news round-up and listen to it on your daily commute. That could work well as you should have a cue on what the top stories are about from sources in your native tongue. Oh, plus the station is uncensored, probably quite unusual for Asia. IMHO, perhaps the most impartial news source on this planet, given it knows so many people around the world rely on it's integrity.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 09 Sep 2015 10:57 pm

CherieZ wrote:Sorry that I can't watch tv :(
But you clearly know of the internet, and mebbe have heard of Youtube?

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... r+language

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 09 Sep 2015 11:55 pm

CherieZ wrote:
Sorry that I can't watch tv :(
watch mind your language the TV show from the 1970's that is now found on the Internet in streaming media on the website called www.youtube.com

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 09 Sep 2015 11:57 pm

CherieZ wrote:
Me,too.And do you have any ideas to find a boyfriend without talking?
It's easy to stop talking,when you have something in your mouth.