Singapore Expats

Driving on a work permit from job to job

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
hotinsingapore

Driving on a work permit from job to job

Post by hotinsingapore » Sat, 22 Aug 2015 9:13 pm

This is one of those questions where you can interpret whether its allowed both ways (at least the way I see it), but I'd like peoples view (or if someone has received clarification from MOM in your favour I'd love to hear about it!), but its to do with driving and work permits:

I read:

"It is strictly forbidden to drive for work in Singapore if holding a Work Pass unless the Work Pass explicitly states “Driver”, or unless the overseer of the Work Pass gives permission"

but then:

"As part of the Job Flexibility Scheme, Work Permit holders who are in the Services sector and hold other occupations (meaning other than 'driver'') can also drive during work"

OK, 'drive for work' in the first sentence. How would one interpret this? Would this only mean where driving is primarily the job or a job function, for example, taxi driver, delivery driver, lorry driver, ie something where you cannot do the job without the driving?

What if its a service based job (in my case IT consultancy/computer repairs), AND where potentially one COULD in theory MRT/bus/catch a cab/uber but chooses to drive from job to job.

Would you consider this an occupation in the Services sector as part of the Job Flexibility Scheme and the second sentence applies?

Or would you say this is a grey area that could depend on the authorities interpretation 'on the day'.

The problem is I run a successful onsite pc repair business here in Australia, already have a Dependants Pass for Singapore and feel my best chance of income (given I feel it will be difficult to find employment as a Dependants Pass holder) is as a sole trader with my own LOC (which seems to be very possible) and doing the occasional repair job if I can get it, but I will have a car and wish to drive from job to job. Technically the work is only at each premises, you might not consider the driving as part of the job.

By the way, I'm not trying to get around the law, just trying to clarify where I stand. :)

Would love to hear your thoughts.

at.evolue

Re: Driving on a work permit from job to job

Post by at.evolue » Sat, 22 Aug 2015 10:11 pm

'Work Permit holders are allowed to drive a company vehicle on Singapore roads during working hours if they hold driving-related occupations such as 'Lorry/Truck Driver', 'Driver' or 'Worker-cum-Driver' and have a valid driving licence recognised by Traffic Police.

As part of the Job Flexibility Scheme, Work Permit holders who are in the Services sector and hold other occupations can also drive during work. Employers are reminded to use job flexibility sensibly and reasonably.'

I think it means that because of the job flexibility scheme, work permit holders that are employed under any other job positions apart from driving, can perform the work of a driver within the same company, if the emloyer so decides.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

at.evolue

Post by at.evolue » Sat, 22 Aug 2015 10:15 pm

I don't think you driving from job to job is against the law. It is your personal vehicle and a means of transport. It will be rather cruel to not allow you to drive if you have a car, whether it is your own or the employer who provides Although I'm not too sure about the sole trader part, whether you are allowed to work.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

hotinsingapore

Post by hotinsingapore » Sat, 22 Aug 2015 10:26 pm

Thank's for that. Being self employed I actually need to apply to employ myself with the usual letter of consent. With that I can work as self employed.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Driving on a work permit from job to job

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 22 Aug 2015 10:35 pm

hotinsingapore wrote:Thank's for that. Being self employed I actually need to apply to employ myself with the usual letter of consent. With that I can work as self employed.
What was that ? Get an LOC and be self employed ?

I didn't know LOC allows you to self employ yourself ....

What kind of "work" do you do ?

hotinsingapore

Post by hotinsingapore » Sat, 22 Aug 2015 11:00 pm

IT Consultancy/PC repairs.

After setting up as a sole trader one applies to employ oneself with the LOC. There's a massive thread on here somewhere with a tonne of user experiences in doing exactly that. :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 22 Aug 2015 11:20 pm

hotinsingapore is correct. He registers a sole proprietorship and then applies to MOM for a Letter of Consent to work there. Totally above board.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 23 Aug 2015 9:39 am

hotinsingapore wrote:This is one of those questions where you can interpret whether its allowed both ways (at least the way I see it), but I'd like peoples view (or if someone has received clarification from MOM in your favour I'd love to hear about it!), but its to do with driving and work permits:

I read:

"It is strictly forbidden to drive for work in Singapore if holding a Work Pass unless the Work Pass explicitly states “Driver”, or unless the overseer of the Work Pass gives permission"

but then:

"As part of the Job Flexibility Scheme, Work Permit holders who are in the Services sector and hold other occupations (meaning other than 'driver'') can also drive during work"

OK, 'drive for work' in the first sentence. How would one interpret this? Would this only mean where driving is primarily the job or a job function, for example, taxi driver, delivery driver, lorry driver, ie something where you cannot do the job without the driving?

What if its a service based job (in my case IT consultancy/computer repairs), AND where potentially one COULD in theory MRT/bus/catch a cab/uber but chooses to drive from job to job.

Would you consider this an occupation in the Services sector as part of the Job Flexibility Scheme and the second sentence applies?

Or would you say this is a grey area that could depend on the authorities interpretation 'on the day'.

The problem is I run a successful onsite pc repair business here in Australia, already have a Dependants Pass for Singapore and feel my best chance of income (given I feel it will be difficult to find employment as a Dependants Pass holder) is as a sole trader with my own LOC (which seems to be very possible) and doing the occasional repair job if I can get it, but I will have a car and wish to drive from job to job. Technically the work is only at each premises, you might not consider the driving as part of the job.

By the way, I'm not trying to get around the law, just trying to clarify where I stand. :)

Would love to hear your thoughts.
Although not well phrased in the quoted parts I would expect the spirit of these regulations is simply to distinguish between the situation where one basically works as a driver and another one, where driving is just one of many tools used to perform some duties under some different occupation. If this is correct, then you should be free to drive working as a pc service man.

hotinsingapore

Post by hotinsingapore » Sun, 23 Aug 2015 12:49 pm

That's what I was thinking and hoping. :)

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 30 Aug 2015 2:46 pm

My gut feeling is that provided you are not driving a goods vehicle or truck (G or Y or W plated vehicle) you should be ok using a foreign licence for some time and then converting to a Singapore licence. Years ago I was arrested her for a driving a G plate to work on a W.A. MDL so it does happen.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!