Singapore Expats

Relocating to Singapore from UK

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
saza

Relocating to Singapore from UK

Post by saza » Mon, 24 Aug 2015 11:56 am

Hi All, (using the template provided)
Note: I am currently in Singapore with my Mrs for a few weeks staying around the Beach Road area. We like it here, everything is accessible.

Priorities:
- your budget (approx range) - up to S$4000
- your workplace/s (don't name names, just approx neighbourhood) - CBD
- the size and/or type of property that you are seeking (#bedrooms, on-site facilities etc) - 1200sq-ft +, Two bedrooms, living room, kitchen, bathroom
- will you have a car here? - No
- proximity to transport required. MRT-subway/buses/the airport/Malay border post (if so, which one). under 10 mins to nearest MRT

Nice to have:
- will you need to be able to say walk to the local shops, a library, your doctor, a market, and so on? - Yes
- access to any specific sport, social, and recreation facilities? - Active lifestyle
- are you considering bringing any parents/in-laws etc? Do they have specific needs (for example difficulty climbing stairs?) - Parents visit only, yes climbing stairs definitely an issue.

Your current home and commute:
- are you already a city dweller? i.e. Are you used to city-centre hustle and bustle, or would you hope for a bit more peace and quiet? - A bit of both. Close to city but like peace and quiet. I stay around Beach Road, everything is very accessible. We quite like it.
- what is the size and type (apartment, house+garden etc) of your current home? Apartment 1200sq-ft
- what are any current commute times like? 30 mins door-to-door. Nearest MRT is 15 mins away which is a bit of a pain.

Thank you!

SZ

Search By

soulsearching
Regular
Regular

Re: Relocating to Singapore from UK

Post by soulsearching » Mon, 24 Aug 2015 11:33 pm

Whereabts in London are you moving from? and when do you anticipate your "final" move? You can PM ... am flying day after tomorrow to Singapore for the same "scouting" reasons myself (with Mrs and cuddly baby).

saza

Post by saza » Tue, 25 Aug 2015 10:07 am

soulsearching wrote:Whereabts in London are you moving from? and when do you anticipate your "final" move? You can PM ... am flying day after tomorrow to Singapore for the same "scouting" reasons myself (with Mrs and cuddly baby).
PM sent.
Already in SG, been here a few weeks. I have limited knowledge of SG but feel free to PM me any questions you have. The folks on here know their stuff.

I hope to finalise my move by end Sept.

rarkins
Regular
Regular

Post by rarkins » Wed, 26 Aug 2015 11:06 pm

"CBD" doesn't really have a very exact meaning for Singapore, so it's challenging to estimate travel times or what condos or areas could be suitable. Can you narrow it down any more?

FYI, Singapore apartments are usually on the small size, so 1200+ square feet normally means the developer fitted in 3 bedrooms instead of making a large 2 bedroom apartment.

Also you may want to consider that bus is quicker and/or less walking for many office<->condo combinations, in which case distance to MRT is less important in your decision making.

saza

Post by saza » Thu, 27 Aug 2015 9:31 am

rarkins wrote:"CBD" doesn't really have a very exact meaning for Singapore, so it's challenging to estimate travel times or what condos or areas could be suitable. Can you narrow it down any more?

FYI, Singapore apartments are usually on the small size, so 1200+ square feet normally means the developer fitted in 3 bedrooms instead of making a large 2 bedroom apartment.

Also you may want to consider that bus is quicker and/or less walking for many office<->condo combinations, in which case distance to MRT is less important in your decision making.
Thanks rarkins. I will be working in the Raffles area.
Re: apartment size ... thanks, this is of a slight concern. I guess what I need to find out is what size is considered reasonable for a 3 bed place?

Re: Travel - Don't mind travelling by bus at all. I do find them to be quicker in some instances. So with this in mind and with the info above, any suggestions? :)

rarkins
Regular
Regular

Post by rarkins » Thu, 27 Aug 2015 12:50 pm

Most 3 bedrooms are around the 1000-1500 square feet range, with the most common being 1100-1300. 2 bedrooms are typically 700-1100.

You've probably seen it mentioned before here, but East Coast area usually provides great value plus is great for an "active lifestyle" due to the East Coast Park. It's main difficulty is lack of MRT stops so you often need to check bus routes to see if you get lucky for your particular office.

Otherwise, you might find a few places in Tanglin and River Valley areas, or potentially Novena too as there's a bus that runs from there right through to near Raffles Place.