Singapore Expats

Is it legal to long term rent a condo if you are not a PR and you do not work in Sg

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Cemo

Is it legal to long term rent a condo if you are not a PR and you do not work in Sg

Post by Cemo » Mon, 17 Aug 2015 5:00 pm

Hello everyone.

I am a 29 year old guy from Europe (European Union) and I am not a PR and I do not work in Sg. However I really like it and I have enough monry to make a 1 year condo rental.

I work in Oil and Gas industry, which means that I work on a 28-28 days rotations. Basically I would like to spend my 28 free days in a condo in Sg, and the other 28 days in the middle of the ocean where I work.

My visitor pass is valid for 90 days. Can I do it? Is it legal? Is there a chance I could get rejected to entry at the airport?

ful babu
Regular
Regular

Re: Is it legal to long term rent a condo if you are not a PR and you do not work in Sg

Post by ful babu » Tue, 18 Aug 2015 9:50 am

Well the thing is, when you are going to rent an apartment they (agent/owner) will ask you for your residence permit which you don't have. On the other hand you could look for a Serviced Apartment which is relatively more expensive but is allowed for visitors to rent.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Is it legal to long term rent a condo if you are not a PR and you do not work in Sg

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Aug 2015 10:34 am

Three choices. I've been there and done that (for 11 years) but it was many years ago. First question is does your employer have an office in Singapore. If they do, it makes it easy for you. (My former company, Oceaneering Int'l has an office as well as a yard here). As, like yourself, the employees are multinational in nature, O.I. had rented a semi-detached house and used it as a guest house for their offshore staff who wanted to stay there during their off time. So, if they do have a presence in Singapore, have them rent the condo in the company name and you can stay there during your month off. If you are from a western country with an automatic 90 day visa you should be in good shape if you are here only 28 days at a time (allowing one or two days travel time depending on where the rig is drilling). I only did that for one year but then (second choice) got married to a local girl and lived with her after that, but still on a normal 30 days SVP (this was before the 90 day visas for US passport holders). (third choice) As mentioned, stay in a Serviced Apartment (considerably more expensive but some down around the $3500/mo level).

Legally, these are the only options available if you don't have any type of residency here. Getting caught out renting something illegally can get both you and the landlord in trouble. LL may pay a fine, you may be banned from Singapore. Are you willing to gamble?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Aug 2015 10:35 am

One other option. Buy a condo here. Nothing preventing you from doing that.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 18 Aug 2015 3:16 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I. had rented a semi-detached house and used it as a guest house for their offshore staff who wanted to stay there during their off time. So, if they do have a presence in Singapore, have them rent the condo in the company name and you can stay there during your month off.
A couple of 'rich' folks I know are renting condos here, under their Singapore company name

Essentially a 2 $ company, with the associated paper work

I am sure OP can afford the cost of the company setup etc.

And .. the fun sets in, when you want to get a Cable connection or internet or phone line, where you need to submit ROC, Company resolution etc. etc..

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 18 Aug 2015 10:27 pm

^^^^^^

That company would require a 'normally resident' director at about $1500 per year from a rent-a-director outfit, and that director could do all of the above.