Singapore Expats

What does PARTIALLY furnished mean?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
2BornotTB

What does PARTIALLY furnished mean?

Post by 2BornotTB » Tue, 18 Aug 2015 2:15 am

Hello,
I did a brief search before posting...

...can someone please explain what exactly PARTIALLY furnished means when looking at apartment searches online?
In some countries it can mean cooker, sink & light fittings. In others, it can mean some furniture.

This would better help us understand our apartment search.

Many Thanks

Search By

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: What does PARTIALLY furnished mean?

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 18 Aug 2015 2:34 am

It can mean virtually anything in Singapore. You have to ask. For example, some LL's will consider having appliances such as a washer, dryer, stove, and fridge but nothing else, as 'partially furnished'. Still others will consider the shitty couch left behind by the last tenant as 'partially furnished'.

Or, you may find that partially furnished means there are beds (with or without mattresses) in the bedrooms or maybe an armoire or two (very few Singapore homes have real closets). You just have to ask.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 18 Aug 2015 10:05 am

What SE said. It can mean anything from a plastic chair in the middle of an otherwise empty living room, to almost the entire unit being furnished.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 18 Aug 2015 12:57 pm

It can also mean completely empty, just with the landlord assuming an average potential tenants is more interested in something furnished but not taking risk of buying anything in case the tenant wants it empty.

2BornotTB

Post by 2BornotTB » Tue, 18 Aug 2015 2:14 pm

Thank you all for your most helpful feedback! Much appreciated.

livingontheedge
Chatter
Chatter

Post by livingontheedge » Tue, 18 Aug 2015 6:57 pm

Generally in Singapore and Malaysia (my knowledge from buying properties) means it comes with oven and stove, kitchen cabinet and hood, sinks, shower, glass panels and toilet, built in wardrobe and airconditioners - common fittings.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 18 Aug 2015 7:46 pm

livingontheedge wrote:Generally in Singapore and Malaysia (my knowledge from buying properties) means it comes with oven and stove, kitchen cabinet and hood, sinks, shower, glass panels and toilet, built in wardrobe and airconditioners - common fittings.
Except the stove I've never seen any place without all the above mentioned included. More-over, this is what is typically included for an unfurnished flat plus a washing machine plus often a fridge and a drier.
This is for a condo. For an hdb - no idea.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Aug 2015 7:57 pm

Partially Furnished normally means all of the standard white goods with the exception of a dishwasher. Usually hot water (storage or Instant) will be available in the Master Bath and maybe the common bath. Not the kitchen sink though. Aircon may or may not be provided depending on whether or not ceiling fans were installed.

Unfurnished will only include those things which are built in like a cooker hob/oven (not freestanding) and multi-split aircons if installed and 'maybe' an instant hot water heater for the shower.

Anything more in either of the above, consider it a bonus. Furnished has been covered adequately already.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

2BornotTB

Post by 2BornotTB » Tue, 18 Aug 2015 8:44 pm

Thank you all! I think that answers my question thoroughly!!

Our onward search continues a little clearer now :)