Singapore Expats

Looking for Executive Assistant jobs with no employment pass yet!

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
london2singapore

Looking for Executive Assistant jobs with no employment pass yet!

Post by london2singapore » Tue, 11 Aug 2015 6:34 pm

Hi all

I have a question regarding finding executive assistant or personal assistant jobs in Singapore, if I don't have an employment pass/work visa already sorted.

I am from the UK and I'm moving to Singapore with my partner who has a job through a transfer with his current company.

I understand I would need a company not only to offer me a job but they would also need to sponsor me to enable me to work in Singapore. How difficult would that be? Is it even possible for an Executive Assistant currently working for a large multi-national company with six years experience?

I look forward to any replies/advice!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Looking for Executive Assistant jobs with no employment pass yet!

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 11 Aug 2015 8:20 pm

Good Luck.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 11 Aug 2015 10:23 pm

Executive assistant jobs exist and are far and few between. And, it is very likely that the positions will be filled by locals. Were you to have unique skills then the company might be able to obtain an employment pass but I see this as a difficult hurdle to overcome.

Many trailing spouses find it difficult to find work, especially at a previous professional level. You may wish to prepare for the situation where you are not going to easily find a job, and if you are not married which would give you a DP, it means you are going to have to leave the country.

london2singapore

Post by london2singapore » Wed, 12 Aug 2015 12:06 pm

Thanks @Strong Eagle. I have actually found quite a few positions on Linkedin and applied, but I suspect most of the applications will be from locals as you say.

Thanks for your detailed and honest response! :)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 12 Aug 2015 1:28 pm

Have you received any responses other than perfunctory replies thanking you for your submission/enquiry? There are always positions available, but in the eyes of MOM, a PA is not likely to be one that is in dire shortage or outside the scope of the educational system here. Therein will lie your problem. You may well get offers, but at the end of the day, even if a company would like to hire you, the final arbitrator will be the MOM and if they feel there are sufficient people with the requisite experience/education being produced locally, you chances become almost nil, regardless to what the employer would like. As I said before, Good Luck.

However, it's always possible, if your credentials are strong enough, you may well find something under the Letter of Consent permit which allows you to work without having to qualify for the normal work visa. However, you do need to have the requisite experience. You will likely have to work for less money than you would be getting at home, as the potential employer will know that your spouse is the EP holder and therefore will also recognize the fact that you are a trailing spouse and will make offers accordingly. Also, the LoC is tied directly to the EP holder's EP and will expire on the same date as the EP does. It can be renewed if the EP is renewed. This is the downside of the LoC. If the primary EP holder loses his job, so does the spouse. Whereas, if both are on an EP, they are each separate and maybe one can tie a family over for a little while while the other hopefully can find a new position.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 12 Aug 2015 2:03 pm

Not a spouse, SMS, so no DP and no LOC.

london2singapore

Post by london2singapore » Fri, 14 Aug 2015 12:06 am

Hi Sundaymorningstaple!

No I haven't had any replies! I guess it is not looking good for me. Thanks for the response though!

So when you are married you can get an LoC, which I assume just allows you to work as long as your spouse is working?

I am not married anyway so I am praying for a miracle here ;)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 Aug 2015 12:11 am

I misread your initial post, hence my reply regarding LoC & DP. Strong Eagle is correct. I assumed you were married. So, yeah, if you are married you can get a Dependent's Pass which will then allow you to work on a Letter of Consent. But as noted, it is tied to your "spouse's" EP so when it expires or is canceled then the LoC is also canceled.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 Aug 2015 12:12 am

Actually, we tend to say it like we see it around here. Praying for a miracle? Realistically, more like clutching at straws, truth be known. Be prepared for the worst. Anything better is a bonus.

london2singapore

Post by london2singapore » Fri, 14 Aug 2015 12:36 am

I am definitely prepared for the worst! Thanks for your advice!

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 14 Aug 2015 7:24 am

london2singapore wrote:I am definitely prepared for the worst! Thanks for your advice!
The trailing spouses (mostly women) that I have seen get jobs have done it mostly through networking. Consider the American Women's Association, American Association, British Association, as examples of the most active.

You do two things. Engage in worthwhile activities that introduce you to a wide spectrum of people. And, jump into opportunities both within and without the volunteer organizations. I can think of half a dozen women, at least, who have done exactly that.

And I edit to say: I fergits... you're not on DP and therefore very time limited in what you can do. I'd still check out the two American associations, at least.

london2singapore

Post by london2singapore » Tue, 18 Aug 2015 4:16 am

That's a good idea thanks. I will check them out!