Singapore Expats

Ang Bao for wedding not in a hotel

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
snowqueen
Chatter
Chatter

Ang Bao for wedding not in a hotel

Post by snowqueen » Thu, 29 Mar 2012 1:40 pm

We have been invited to a friend's wedding which is being held at Changi Sailing club and was wondering how much to put in the Ang Bao, it will be an evening buffet. The guides on the wedding web sites are mainly for hotels so I wondered if anyone had any idea how much it would be for a non-hotel venue. There's myself, my husband and our 3 year old son, however I believe the children are being served chicken nuggets and chips.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 29 Mar 2012 3:06 pm

I've been to several at various sailing or country clubs. I generally use a 4 or 5 Star hotel as a guideline. (And the actual relationship with either the bride or groom).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

snowqueen
Chatter
Chatter

Post by snowqueen » Thu, 29 Mar 2012 6:23 pm

Thanks for the tip but I would hardly put Changi Sailing Club in the same category as a 4/5 star hotel - personally I think the place is a dump so the food per head can't be above $100.

My husband is good friends with the groom but only then we only see him/them a handful of times throughout the year. Will see what others suggest and go from there but I guess we are looking at $75-$100 a head.

We got invited to a local wedding a year ago, it was a work colleague of my husband but I'd never met them before - they had their wedding at the Regent so I expected the ang bao to be higher so I went with the rule of thumb I found on the web and gave $100 per head + $40, so $240.

I don't care if we ever get invited to another wedding again while we are here. Whatever happened to just giving a toaster (or other household appliance). It seems people only get invited to weddings to help cover the cost.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 29 Mar 2012 6:56 pm

snowqueen wrote:
I don't care if we ever get invited to another wedding again while we are here. Whatever happened to just giving a toaster (or other household appliance). It seems people only get invited to weddings to help cover the cost.

There are some goings on with my very distant (thankfully) in-laws this week. A 'niece' is planning on getting married. Not only will this involve the usual ang-baos but her mother is ringing around asking relatives if they will 'sponsor' individual elements of the wedding itself, i,e, the cake, the food, the costumes...

Completely shameless some people! :o

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 29 Mar 2012 11:07 pm

JR8 wrote:There are some goings on with my very distant (thankfully) in-laws this week. A 'niece' is planning on getting married. Not only will this involve the usual ang-baos but her mother is ringing around asking relatives if they will 'sponsor' individual elements of the wedding itself, i,e, the cake, the food, the costumes...
classy...
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Anthony249

Post by Anthony249 » Sat, 31 Mar 2012 12:27 am

5 star hotel, I'd put in $120 a head.
For the sailing club, I'd say $80 or $88 per a head if you're feeling generous. If they are ordering a kid's meal for the kid, that runs about $65 at a 5-star hotel, so at the sailing club maybe $35-50?

KleenWayne70

Re: Ang Bao for wedding not in a hotel

Post by KleenWayne70 » Wed, 29 Jul 2015 8:24 pm

Guess you no need it nomore but for new member, it newer rate heres: http://www.kiasubride.com/wedding-banqu ... breakeven/

Clivechia

Re: Ang Bao for wedding not in a hotel

Post by Clivechia » Fri, 07 Aug 2015 8:39 pm

Depend on the relationship with your friends. My take will be $100-$200 for your family of 3.