Singapore Expats

My PR story

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
pokerface0312

My PR story

Post by pokerface0312 » Wed, 29 Jul 2015 1:11 pm

Hi all,

I have been lurking around on these forums since I submitted my PR application, until my approval this week. I wanted to provide some words of encouragement since a lot of the replies seem to focus on how low the posters' odds are given 1) previous rejection letters and their wording, 2) the need for family ties, and 3) the need to significantly change your profile on second attempt.

The so-called 'kiss of death' sentence on the rejection letter seems not to hold up, at least in my case. The only material change in my situation since I applied in 2013 and was rejected was my length of stay (from 5 to 7 years). No significant increase in salary, no family (still very much a single guy), no additional qualifications, and I'm also pretty sure my race is not the 'flavor of the month'. I've also seen repeated the idea that my industry (financial services) somehow should disqualify my candidacy since we 'follow the money'. I'm very much committed to staying in Singapore, and am naturally both proud and humbled by being issued PR.

My details:

European male, 33yrs old
Single
Financial industry
Unrelated bachelor's degree
Salary 11,000 p/m
Length of stay 7 years

Any single case is of course anecdotal, but I wanted to share my story to show that the check boxes that some posters seem to apply, do not necessarily hold up.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Re: My PR story

Post by bro75 » Wed, 29 Jul 2015 1:26 pm

congrats ... more of this kind of story and we may be able to guess the direction of the wind.

pokerface0312

Post by pokerface0312 » Wed, 29 Jul 2015 2:05 pm

Thanks! Also, I changed jobs one month before applying this time. As mentioned, no significant change in salary or title.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 29 Jul 2015 3:40 pm

This is actually good news. I am assuming when you applied you were on 2nd EP renewal? Or were you on a PEP under the older criteria? If you were on a PEP then it's understandable and based on the salary figure given, you are not over the ~200K/pa figure (basic) so it does look like being here longer does have some bearing. If you are European, I'm assuming you mean Caucasian or similar, you are not being specifically ethnically targeted some here are. Having family ties is only relevant if your experience/academic base isn't strong enough to go it alone. That way ICA has two ways to view the CV (just gives a leg up if needed).

As for anecdotal evidence, that is where all our knowledge comes from as ICA and MOM never give up anything if they can help it. Too many don't come back once they get what they needed from here as it's usually only the ones with problems who give vent to their frustrations. I'm thankful you have posted as it usually only the tip of the iceberg that we get to see.

Oh, and congratulations.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

pokerface0312

Post by pokerface0312 » Wed, 29 Jul 2015 3:53 pm

First - thanks! I am really happy to finally get my PR, so that I can start planning ahead and further settle down here on the red dot :) I am one of those "non-expats" in the sense that I don't stay here for low taxes or fancy brunches, but rather a deep connection to Singapore, its culture and people.

I was on a regular EP (I believe the third one since my first EP was a one-year renewable).

I am an ang mo yes (sorry, should have clarified that). I totally agree there should be more people submitting their success stories, as a lot of the posters seem to be people seeking advice after failing to get approved. This is why I made it a point to submit a post, to add to the evidence (albeit anecdotal..).

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 29 Jul 2015 4:09 pm

I'm also a non-expat who initially came here on a 12 month contract back in '82. Been here ever since. :-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 29 Jul 2015 6:17 pm

pokerface0312 wrote:Any single case is of course anecdotal, but I wanted to share my story to show that the check boxes that some posters seem to apply, do not necessarily hold up.
It's not about being overly pessimistic (as of typical responses from this forum). It's just to manage peoples' expectations. Regardless the odds, we normally advise people to apply (unless the failure is repeated many times and expected negative outcome almost inevitable). The truth is nobody knows for sure and we've seen European Caucasians with pretty good profiles being turned down so congratulation to you.

beard1
Regular
Regular

Post by beard1 » Thu, 30 Jul 2015 3:02 pm

Congratulations to you! I'd be interested to know if they took a longer or shorter time to process your application as compared to your first time round.

mystic_river
Chatter
Chatter

Post by mystic_river » Mon, 03 Aug 2015 5:06 pm

beard1 wrote:Congratulations to you! I'd be interested to know if they took a longer or shorter time to process your application as compared to your first time round.
Length of time taken for the application outcome has absolutely NO bearing on the application outcome itself. Please. We are running out of ways to ingrain this information in you guys.

beard1
Regular
Regular

Post by beard1 » Mon, 03 Aug 2015 5:10 pm

mystic_river wrote:
beard1 wrote:Congratulations to you! I'd be interested to know if they took a longer or shorter time to process your application as compared to your first time round.
Length of time taken for the application outcome has absolutely NO bearing on the application outcome itself. Please. We are running out of ways to ingrain this information in you guys.
Your point being? MY curiosity regarding how long it took makes absolutely NO parallel to whether I believe it does or does not influence the outcome. Please.

Also - who are "you guys"? Everyone not on a horse as high as yours?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Aug 2015 8:02 pm

Everybody who have been a regular on this board and are regular contributors and not just takers. They came with cap in hand, got answers (some what the wanted and some not quite what they wanted) and decided that what we do here is upright and have stayed around since and become regulars. Each one of them has some speciality that the other may not have, but collectively, we do pretty good on getting it right. So much so that MOM links to this site in several instances "for further information" as it were. Some of us have been on TV and to interviews on how to makes changes to MOM processes. We are looked at rather highly, true be known. And we've always been straight shooters who don't blow smoke but tell it like it is.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 04 Aug 2015 11:50 am

pokerface0312 wrote:I am one of those "non-expats" in the sense that I don't stay here for low taxes or fancy brunches, but rather a deep connection to Singapore, its culture and people.
Maybe you can answer what the PM means by Singaporean Identity then :D
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Kvish9

Post by Kvish9 » Tue, 04 Aug 2015 3:22 pm

What do u mean?? I didnt get that Barnsley...

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 06 Aug 2015 4:40 pm

Kvish9 wrote:What do u mean?? I didnt get that Barnsley...
That's the big prep talk by PM Lee for this National Day's SG50.