Singapore Expats

2 days employed and thinking to accept a much higher offer from a different company

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Nicolyn

2 days employed and thinking to accept a much higher offer from a different company

Post by Nicolyn » Wed, 29 Jul 2015 8:37 am

Hi Maam/Sir

I hope you could help me decide on my situation. I am currently employed and its just my 3rd day today. Yesterday, I attended an interview from another company because a friend of mine insisted me to come since the owner of the company is his friend. They offered me higher salary, higher position and also a good benefits.
I preferred and more comfortable with this company since it is more in line with my career compared to my current job.

Is it okay for me to accept the offer and resigned from my current job? I am bit scared since my current company is a Multinational Corporation,they might blacklist me or something, though the company haven't confirmed me yet and I am still in my probation period. In my contract it also states that during my probation period I just have to tender 1 week notice. What do you think is the best way to do, should I tell my current company the truth.

Thank you so much! God Bless!

vjtvjt

Re: 2 days employed and thinking to accept a much higher offer from a different company

Post by vjtvjt » Wed, 29 Jul 2015 9:38 am

Hello Nicolyn.
You can resign, however you just need to make sure that your work pass is going to approved before you file the formal resignation (if you are a PR then just resign anytime). What you can do (I am assuming that you are on work pass) is that just wait until your work pass is approved on the other company before you resign on your current one.

It is ok to do that and yes you will have a bad record on your current company, but heck if I am your current company I would let you go because I knew it is a great risk keeping you, knowing you have that feeling.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: 2 days employed and thinking to accept a much higher offer from a different company

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 29 Jul 2015 9:41 am

vjtvjt wrote: It is ok to do that and yes you will have a bad record on your current company, but heck if I am your current company I would let you go because I knew it is a great risk keeping you, knowing you have that feeling.
If you have a very angry boss, they can make your life difficult, and trust me, it can be bad. Especially if it's a small company. Only MNCs let you go instead of keeping you.

And Nicolyn, where are you from ?

What pass are you holding ?

The lower the pass, the more the current boss can hurt you, especially if the boss spent lot of resource to bring you to Singapore ... And within the Jobs Bank advertising time , your current boss can try and pack you off to your home country... thereby you losing the advantage for the new boss to scout folks already in Singapore.

Even though you are with a MNC, the current HR can insist you must be repatriated...

I don't preach loyalty to bosses in commercial terms but ...a bit if common sense and playing by the rules saves your future.

And what's your job anyway ?

PS, job hoppers have occasionally seen passes rejected by MOM, getting a pass is not so easy peasy like before. ..

Nicolyn

Re: 2 days employed and thinking to accept a much higher offer from a different company

Post by Nicolyn » Wed, 29 Jul 2015 10:19 am

Thank you so much vjtvjt! Should I tell my current company the real situation? :-)

Hi Ecureilx,

Thank you so much for replying.

With my 3rd day in my current company they haven't assigned to me any workload yet. I am not sure with my boss since I have not yet talk to him only with my Senior and at the moment they just let me get familiar with the system.

I am holding an SPass
from Philippines
Current Position is Sales Support/Space Planner

Direct hired here in Singapore so they did not exert so much resources from hiring me and in fact the HR who process my papers, Spass and the people interviewed me already resigned from this current company.

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by menudown » Wed, 29 Jul 2015 11:26 am

now can get job and hop easily :-k

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: 2 days employed and thinking to accept a much higher offer from a different company

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 29 Jul 2015 11:31 am

Nicolyn wrote:
Direct hired here in Singapore so they did not exert so much resources from hiring me and in fact the HR who process my papers, Spass and the people interviewed me already resigned from this current company.
In Philippine context, so you managed to run the gauntlet, get away for the numerous agency fees, processing fees (all of which would have sucked out half your salary for six months or more. .. ) etc etc and you found you can get a better pay as soon as you arrived ?

Not stereotyping, but isn't your current pay a major and massive increase over what you got in Philippines?

Back to your employer, still they had to advertise in jobsbank and MOM approved your pass, and you don't consider it effort wasted on their side ?

And leaving an MNC and joining a "boss" company ? Good luck.

Horror stories of puppy love gone sour are too much to write here.

Your new boss will always remember how loyal you were, and at any hint of your looking out will lead to more suspicion and out of the door ..

Good luck, and again pray very very hard that MOM approves your new pass.

Jumping jobs in 3 days because of a friend insisting on introducing you to another company ? I hope your next boss is not a run of the mill promise maker like we see a lot here, especially after a few Tigers... "come, I will double your pay, just you will have to do other stuff not related to your job, we are not MNC you know . .." or after joining "didn't we say you have to bring in 1 million $ sales so we can pay you sky high salary ???? " or. .. "if you can't multi task how to pay high salary ??? " or ... "Times are bad, here's a 50% pay cut, but don't forget, I am a good boss. .." and the likes ...

There is no free lunch in this world says me ...

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 29 Jul 2015 11:38 am

menudown wrote:now can get job and hop easily :-k
Yep, agreed. ... pretty easy until MOM says enough .. go back home. .. :)

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Wed, 29 Jul 2015 12:12 pm

In short, people here has recommended that you stay put and gain some experience before looking for something better. Job hopping is not illegal but it is frowned upon in the industry and in this forum. Many people have asked for opinions on this matter and the answer here is always the same.
The only exception IMO is if you are an expert in your field, then no matter what you do you will be recruited by headhunters.

Nicolyn

Post by Nicolyn » Wed, 29 Jul 2015 12:27 pm

Hi guys!! thank you all so much for the advice! :-)

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 29 Jul 2015 8:55 pm

Are you on an employment pass? If you're current contract allows for only 1 week notice, then you could apply for EP from the other company. I don't think your current company will be too happy but they are clearly giving you an out and I don't think they will blacklist you. Most MNC's do not work like local companies.

However, you run the risk that you may not get your work permit with the new company. Is the other company a MNC? If not, MOM may decide you don't qualify.

Without knowing what you are doing, what your educational levels are, and who the companies are it is difficult to tell what will happen. But, you are taking a risk no work permit at all against a better job.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 30 Jul 2015 7:25 pm

I agree with SE's assessment. By giving you 1 week notice during probation period, its clear that loyalties are low on both sides. They could cut you if they suddenly decide you aren't good enough.

My suggestion is pay is secondary. Look at the work environment and if your current company has nice people to work with and most importantly a nice boss, then don't let it go.

KleenWayne70

Post by KleenWayne70 » Thu, 30 Jul 2015 7:31 pm

I say go with your gut feeling. If higher pay but no prospect, don't bother. But if higher pay and you know will like it there.. just go for it! It's your life dude!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 30 Jul 2015 7:57 pm

KleenWayne70 wrote:I say go with your gut feeling. If higher pay but no prospect, don't bother. But if higher pay and you know will like it there.. just go for it! It's your life dude!
It is a Dudette, not a dude, FYI

And secondly, OP is on S Pass, which nowadays is getting rejected pretty commonly, unless OPs jump was going pretty high to Mid EP levels

And thirdly, she is jumping from an MNC (who rarely have issues with passes) to a Small boss -as the tone implies- and small boss companies see more pass rejection than MNCs

Good luck anyway .. can't wait to hear the outcome, though I believe OP has her soul stolen by the new Boss :D :D

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 31 Jul 2015 10:45 am

Make sure the other company is ABLE TO GET IPA for you first before you even say goodbye to the current company. I don't like job hoppers but since you're under probation, it is not that bad.