Singapore Expats

Joint Bank Account between Singaporean and Foreigner on SVP?

Discuss the different banking options, rates, offers and perks.
YannickLF

Joint Bank Account between Singaporean and Foreigner on SVP?

Post by YannickLF » Sun, 26 Jul 2015 3:55 pm

I am an American citizen on a social visit pass (SVP) to Singapore. I am interested in opening a bank account in Singapore but there are barriers in doing so without holding some kind of visa legitimizing a long-term stay in Singapore (which I am actively trying to obtain).

I’ve noticed there are no visa barriers for foreigners making very large deposits, such as in DBS Treasures account, etc. Unfortunately my deposit would be far more humble, under 25K.

Since I don’t believe there are any banks that would let me open an account on my own, my girlfriend – a Singaporean citizen – has offered to put me on a joint account:

Is it possible for a Singaporean citizen to open a joint-bank account with a foreign visiting the country on a social visit pass?

Of course I will consult banks directly, but if anyone has any helpful advice I would greatly appreciate hearing it.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Joint Bank Account between Singaporean and Foreigner on SVP?

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 26 Jul 2015 4:13 pm

YannickLF wrote: Since I don’t believe there are any banks that would let me open an account on my own, my girlfriend – a Singaporean citizen – has offered to put me on a joint account:

Lovely GF you have .. :)

Local banks don't fancy doing business with those on tourist visa, as SVP is essentially a tourist visa -

Better luck with Citi, HSBC, Maybank and the likes ... from what I know.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Joint Bank Account between Singaporean and Foreigner on SVP?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 26 Jul 2015 4:56 pm

Not essentially, IT IS.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Joint Bank Account between Singaporean and Foreigner on SVP?

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 26 Jul 2015 4:57 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Not essentially, IT IS.
:roll: agreed .... :)

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Re: Joint Bank Account between Singaporean and Foreigner on SVP?

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 27 Jul 2015 1:49 am

Rather than opening a joint account with your GF, and therefore putting your funds at risk... not that she's not a sweetheart, I'm sure, you might approach a bank where she already has a bank account or relationship and see if a letter of recommendation would do the trick. I did this for an American who was working in KL but being paid in Singapore dollars and had nothing other than an SVP when entering Singapore. UOB did this without issue.