Singapore Expats

renew PR under spouse scheme

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
martingale

renew PR under spouse scheme

Post by martingale » Fri, 24 Jul 2015 5:08 am

I get my PR under spouse scheme because my hubby is a SC.
we are living overseas and do not have any cpf in Singapore for a while.
can I still renew my PR without any issue now?

komatineni

Re: renew PR under spouse scheme

Post by komatineni » Fri, 24 Jul 2015 5:26 am

Do you have plans to move to SG? If yes, you can apply and see. If not, let the REP expire. What difference does it make?

martingale

Post by martingale » Fri, 24 Jul 2015 6:30 am

Definitely we plan to move back some time in future, just not now.
Will the application for renew got denied? What's the chance of that?
If denied then what?

Thanks

komatineni

Post by komatineni » Fri, 24 Jul 2015 6:53 am

Assuming all other aspects are in line with ICA preferred list, the practice seems 1 year REP. After 1 year the REP will be given at normal duration (or 2 years).
There is pretty high chance to get it denied if the person stayed out of SG for most of the time (not work related)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 24 Jul 2015 7:06 am

Actually, from what I've seen in actual practice the one year REP is given to get your affairs in order as it doesn't get renewed past that. Good Luck. Do you gamble?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

martingale

Post by martingale » Fri, 24 Jul 2015 7:25 am

komatineni wrote:Assuming all other aspects are in line with ICA preferred list, the practice seems 1 year REP. After 1 year the REP will be given at normal duration (or 2 years).
There is pretty high chance to get it denied if the person stayed out of SG for most of the time (not work related)
Both my son and hubby are SC now, will that help?

komatineni

Post by komatineni » Fri, 24 Jul 2015 7:30 am

Guess that should but there are plenty of cases (or rather abuse) where ICA denied the renewal. Similar profile, high income, growth potential but declined the renewal. So my guess as as best as the examples shared here in the forum or info we hear. Could be totally wrong but i dont think anyone need to worry when they are not going to be in SG any time soon.

martingale

Post by martingale » Fri, 24 Jul 2015 7:39 am

komatineni wrote:Guess that should but there are plenty of cases (or rather abuse) where ICA denied the renewal. Similar profile, high income, growth potential but declined the renewal. So my guess as as best as the examples shared here in the forum or info we hear. Could be totally wrong but i dont think anyone need to worry when they are not going to be in SG any time soon.
hope even I get denied, I can still get ltvp with the sponsor of my hubby.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 24 Jul 2015 9:45 am

Frankly, if you have been out of the country for a couple of years and are planning on being there for several more, then your REP wont get renewed at all. And, if you are still out of the country, it's doubtful you will get an LTVP either. Why should they? PR? you are not a resident nor have you been for a number of years and are still out of the country, therefore you are NOT a resident, (denied). LTVP? Long Term Visit Pass? you are not visiting - either long or short time), you are resident outside of the country. Probably, no as well until you move back to Singapore full time. Then maybe. But I really don't see it happening.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

martingale

Post by martingale » Fri, 24 Jul 2015 9:48 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Frankly, if you have been out of the country for a couple of years and are planning on being there for several more, then your REP wont get renewed at all. And, if you are still out of the country, it's doubtful you will get an LTVP either. Why should they? PR? you are not a resident nor have you been for a number of years and are still out of the country, therefore you are NOT a resident, (denied). LTVP? Long Term Visit Pass? you are not visiting - either long or short time), you are resident outside of the country. Probably, no as well until you move back to Singapore full time. Then maybe. But I really don't see it happening.
follow your logic, we should deprive the citizenship of those SCs that residing overseas over years since they are not residents either.
:D :D :D

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 24 Jul 2015 10:12 am

Why is that? Citizenship confers it's own set of privileges does it not? Citizenship is not gained by residency but normally by being born in the country (Jus soli - only around 30 countries practice this - US being one of them - Singapore is not) or by descent (jus sanguinis - normally at least one of the parents is a citizen of that country - this is how dual citizenship usually comes about). Your logic is the one that appears faulty (trying to compare apples with oranges). :-|

martingale

Post by martingale » Fri, 24 Jul 2015 10:17 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Why is that? Citizenship confers it's own set of privileges does it not? Citizenship is not gained by residency but normally by being born in the country (Jus soli - only around 30 countries practice this - US being one of them - Singapore is not) or by descent (jus sanguinis - normally at least one of the parents is a citizen of that country - this is how dual citizenship usually comes about). Your logic is the one that appears faulty (trying to compare apples with oranges). :-|
so let's say lah, if LTVP or PR is out of question, ever been a PR pose a red flag when getting just a short term visit pass?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 24 Jul 2015 10:37 am

No, unless the "ever been a PR" had something to do with doing a runner to avoid NS. Then YES a definite red flag and rightly so as the runner or the parents of the runner knew of the obligation before taking up PR as it's quite clearly stated on the PR application.