Singapore Expats

Wines and beers

Events and gatherings for the 40's Club
CooperI

Wines and beers

Post by CooperI » Sat, 23 May 2015 4:28 pm

Decided to take the plunge after months of reading all the newbie posts of everyone trying to meet new friends as we all seem to arrive and go stir crazy with our own company or just want to let our hair down ( to those whom still have it) and figure out argh some friendly banter and descent company would not go astray. So, we are a couple just arrived lived in Australia for 15 years plus but are proud New Zealanders who love to watch the rugby and have a beer or 3. We are very social when we are not travelling and keen to meet like minded people. We are ageless as we really don't care what age you are. Tap a message through if your in the same circumstance

Irene

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Wines and beers

Post by JR8 » Sat, 23 May 2015 7:08 pm

Top-hole Irene and 'welcome to the social side' ;)
Rugby hasn't much presence here, the locals seem to have a general aversion to contact sports that involve getting dirty; a bit of a contrast since back home (UK) being face down in the mud for 6hrs a week was a compulsory activity lol.
You'll find more momentum when the RWC is on, with a few bars down at the Quays showing the games. Also in the piazza in the middle of Chijmes, a converted period development of buildings at City Hall, they will show say the later-stage games on a big open-air screen, which is quite a nice way to watch them.
Also, when the Rugby7s is on (in HK), I've known them have a micro-side-tour (maybe 3 days) down here, and that has taken place on the Padang (b/w City Hall and Raffles Place). It's the huge playing field in front of City Hall, that was originally the cricket ground and perhaps a polo ground.
One thing you can do as an alternative is get your IT at home set up so you can watch TV from home. That way when the rugby is on, you can have a BBQ/drinks etc and I'm sure the less IT savvy local friends will be delighted to come visit.

On the social side, in general. There is like something of a glass wall about it. If you don't work, and hence have work-mates. Sometimes I think people who do go to the office each day underestimate how easy they have it :) If you live in a condo the only people one seems to chat to is the condo security guards, no one else, especially your immediate neighbours, are interested. If you're a 'trailing spouse', getting a social life is hard work. But this is a pretty good place to start finding a path out of that...
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sat, 23 May 2015 8:19 pm

Hi Irene

First up welcome to the boards, I think you have to create a micro ecosystem for yourself in order to achieve some sort of balance to life on this island.
When I first arrived here I didn't have any friends although I had been coming here on work for years.
But through various channels like learning to dance, running, cycling , meeting people from these forums etc, I made a transition from acquaintances to friends.
Singapore does offer quite a bit of things to do, esp learning a new skill, hobby or interest.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

CooperI

Post by CooperI » Sun, 24 May 2015 1:51 am

Oh thanks for the positive outlook. I am up for the challenge. I have noticed the witty banter and have therefore noticed your names thank you on the warm welcome. One day looking forward to putting a face to the name.

Cheers

Domadams

Post by Domadams » Sun, 05 Jul 2015 12:00 pm

Just arrived here and no social circle to speak of . Welshman long time of Wales but a lifelong rugby fan and beers never go amiss so get in touch if you want to hook up for a couple of drinks and some banter

CooperI

Post by CooperI » Sun, 05 Jul 2015 10:43 pm

Excellent sounds good

rorybrown80

Post by rorybrown80 » Thu, 16 Jul 2015 2:40 pm

Hi - recently arrived in Singapore too from Scotland - won't mention the rugby after the Six Nations ha ha but we'll be back for the World Cup! I'm working near Raffles MRT so if you fancy catching up let me know - tried to message you but I'm at roryrbrown@ gmail.com

CooperI

Post by CooperI » Thu, 16 Jul 2015 4:50 pm

Cool will be in touch

CooperI

Post by CooperI » Fri, 17 Jul 2015 2:57 pm

Hi lads we are back from traveling in a week or so. Thinking we could meet at boomerang bar in Robertson quay 1 August at 4pm if your keen let us know and I will book a table

rorybrown80

Post by rorybrown80 » Tue, 21 Jul 2015 12:08 pm

Hi folks - I'm away on the 1st but looking to set up a drinks evening next week with some other new arrivals - CBD area - if keen let me know and I'll keep you updated,