Singapore Expats

What kind of lifestyle at 6.5k$/m

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Shifu

What kind of lifestyle at 6.5k$/m

Post by Shifu » Sun, 19 Jul 2015 11:54 pm

Hello Community,

I am looking into an offer to go to Singapore. After taxes and some other expenses, I would be looking at 6.5k$ a month. I would be moving here with my wife, who doesn't have a job offer yet.

I did some research and reading through similar threads, it is clear to me that it would be possible to live on just one salary. It would be great though if I could get your opinion on what kind of life style one can enjoy in Singapore nowadays in this income range?

There are a few factors that could drive the costs up a little or even quite a bit:

I don't want to make too big compromises when it comes to housing. I don't necessarily need a condo with swimming pool, but I don't want to live in a bachelor pad, and I would really want to have a kitchen at Western standard (by that I mean not too small, and 4 stove plates + oven). I would prefer not to live too far away from the center (although I understand that there will be a trade-off), and the apartment must be fully furnished.

We are a young couple and enjoy going out quite a bit.

I would like to regularly buy imported things, as cheese, sour creme, but no truffle oil, expensive wines and such things.

Our fluffy third family member would be coming with us. I am putting this not just because of the costs for food, vet bills, etc. I wonder if this may be a restriction for the apartment (close to dog friendly park, dog friendly landlord,...) and in that sense be an additional cost driver?

We tend to use the A/C a lot.

On the other hand, I am more than happy to run the errands on the wet market, cook at home etc., or eat at the food courts. Does it make a big difference financially if you are vegetarian? Health insurance is covered.

Would be great if you could give me some guidance. Thanks in advance!

bgd
Manager
Manager

Re: What kind of lifestyle at 6.5k$/m

Post by bgd » Mon, 20 Jul 2015 11:57 am

You should be able to find a condo for $3K or less, rents are down at the moment. Your dog may make the search a little harder depending on size.

Anything imported or deemed to be 'expat' products, cost. As does heavy usage of aircon.

Once you have found a place that suits you will know how much you have left over and then you can adapt your lifestyle around that. But with $6.5K after tax you should be able to live here reasonably well.

Shifu

Post by Shifu » Mon, 20 Jul 2015 3:04 pm

Thanks for the answer! I understand spending up to 3k on an apartment wouldn't be completely stupid given the budget.

Our dog is 10.5 kg, not too big, but still a dog...

lot286
Chatter
Chatter

Post by lot286 » Mon, 20 Jul 2015 8:03 pm

Make sure you live close to an MRT. the taxi rides here are expensive..