Singapore Expats

shoplifting convict employment cancel after 6 months

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
jacob.suba

shoplifting convict employment cancel after 6 months

Post by jacob.suba » Thu, 16 Jul 2015 9:03 pm

as
Last edited by jacob.suba on Mon, 03 Aug 2015 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

American
Regular
Regular

Re: shoplifting convict employment cancel after 6 months

Post by American » Fri, 17 Jul 2015 1:59 am

Shoplifters do not deserve the privilege to have a work visa in their host country; if you can't abide by the simple laws of a country then you don't deserve a work visa there, whether that be Singapore or Nauru. Shoplifting is a blatant pre-meditated crime. I hope your friend gets the boot from the SG government.

komatineni

Post by komatineni » Fri, 17 Jul 2015 7:34 am

the message is clear. Whether it's coming from Ministry of Manpower (MOM) or Employer. But if the person is convicted, the chances of getting the new EP sponsored and approved would be extremely difficult. So better find another job in home country, spend some time before trying to get the EP in Singapore.

jacob.suba

Post by jacob.suba » Fri, 17 Jul 2015 8:58 am

as

jacob.suba

Post by jacob.suba » Fri, 17 Jul 2015 8:59 am

as

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 17 Jul 2015 9:16 am

jacob.suba wrote:but why do the MOM cancelling now after the 7 months of conviction?
Because it probably took them that long to go through all their paperwork.

The way I see it, if I understand your post, is that your friend's current employer will give him employment in Malaysia since his work pass is being pulled by MOM.

If his work pass is actually being pulled by MOM, then he can try to get another job with another employer... but you know what will happen... it will not be approved because it already has a black check mark against it.

So... your friend has a decision to make... either trust that his current employer is telling the truth or quit and find out what the real truth is.

komatineni

Post by komatineni » Fri, 17 Jul 2015 9:48 am

+1

jacob.suba

Post by jacob.suba » Fri, 17 Jul 2015 9:57 am

as
Last edited by jacob.suba on Mon, 03 Aug 2015 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 17 Jul 2015 10:08 am

Strong Eagle wrote:So... your friend has a decision to make... either trust that his current employer is telling the truth or quit and find out what the real truth is.
+1

Back to OP, 9 out of 10 times, MOM will not reveal much, if you try to find out more information.

And the officer who talks to you will pick up the conviction and harp on it and will go 'possibly that's why .. ' but will stop short of telling you the specifics, and that's how it is, in Singapore, and it's their game and their rules.

If your friend wasn't convicted, then it is a different case.

And with the conviction, though the IO said it should not affect renewal, you forgot the IO is not from MOM. MOM most likely will reject renewal of pass, when it comes up. And will refuse to give a reason.

Known enough folks who had similar issues, including one on PR, who was told that 'it shouldn't affect' but come renewal, renewals were refused, and no reasons given, because PR renewal is by ICA, not SPF. ICA has discretionary powers to refuse REP.

So, my 2 cents ? Time to pack up and move out of Singapore. Especially when offered a job across the causeway, it's better to take it and move.

If not now, the conviction will still be hanging like the proverbial sword of Damocles.

jacob.suba

Post by jacob.suba » Sat, 18 Jul 2015 9:40 am

as
Last edited by jacob.suba on Mon, 03 Aug 2015 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: shoplifting convict employment cancel after 6 months

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 18 Jul 2015 10:30 am

jacob.suba wrote: Hi ,
Since my friend is a foreigner , i think his record will be in SPF Criminal records list.Will there be a chance for marking it as spent after some years?
I think that was hashed in another thread here

From what I know no crime disappears in Singapore... say you got a warning, and say if 20 years later you get hauled up for something else, the records will state ... "person had a previous run in with the law, 20 years ago...and was issued a warning ..."

Ps, foreigner or not, all agencies have access to all the records, it's just what each agency does with that information that is different ... that's what i was trying to explain.

sgstrait
Regular
Regular

Post by sgstrait » Mon, 20 Jul 2015 1:04 pm

Anyone in a foreign country, as a guest, must behave like a guest, and be upstanding examples to society. Shoplifting, and any other crime, is the complete opposite of that.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 20 Jul 2015 2:19 pm

sgstrait wrote:Anyone in a foreign country, as a guest, must behave like a guest, and be upstanding examples to society. Shoplifting, and any other crime, is the complete opposite of that.
Not sure what you meant there, in your first sentence, but Agreed 100% to the next one !!!